Turkish intellectual exodus as a result of Erdogan's purge

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
" With tens of thousands of officials, academics and teachers being suspended or arrested in Turkey, more and more people are starting to fear for their futures. In particular young and well educated Turks are leaving the country."

Not looking good for Turkey if educated young Turks are looking to emigrate. If Turkey just ends up with Islamist and Islamist oriented Turks, then the country's ability to move forward culturally and economically is not looking good. These emigrants will be looking to come to the West.

http://www.dw.com/en/exodus-from-turkey/av-19464542

Too many officials and academics in the US already. Good luck Turks!

Everyone I know from Turkey is already out, trying desperately to leave, or is already on lockdown. Sucks terribly.

Maybe EU can trade all the immigrants for Turkish intellectual elite. They could use the civilized and educated, just like Erdogan could use the brainless barbaric masses that stormed Europe.

Most Turkish people I know support Erdogan and most are educated people. Thats also a German media source which is usually not in favor of Erdogan.
Young educate Turks have left the country for decades.

Personally I am not in favor of Erdogan but the Turks have to sort out their own issues.

Most Turkish people I know support Erdogan and most are educated people. Thats also a German media source which is usually not in favor of Erdogan.
Young educate Turks have left the country for decades.

Personally I am not in favor of Erdogan but the Turks have to sort out their own issues.
I bet his support is as high as ever. Just as 9/11 lead to a skyrocketing of GWB's approval rating(the highest since its been recorded IIRC) this coup probably did the same for Erdogan. But he's still making a big mistake. He may have the support of a strong plurality, possibly even a majority at this point, but who knows how long that will last with this widespread crackdown? Americans were behind both wars and even controversial legislation like the PATRIOT Act after 9/11 but eventually when the dust settled and we saw what we were in for we weren't happy and Bush went from the highest approval rating in history to the lowest. What if that happens to Erdogan and he finds himself an underdog in the next presidential election?

Maybe EU can trade all the immigrants for Turkish intellectual elite. They could use the civilized and educated, just like Erdogan could use the brainless barbaric masses that stormed Europe.

If only!!! You know, if they sent the educated and civilized people maybe the European Natives would welcome them rather than be "racist".

Instead they send barbarians and get mad at people when they call them what they really are.

I bet his support is as high as ever. Just as 9/11 lead to a skyrocketing of GWB's approval rating(the highest since its been recorded IIRC) this coup probably did the same for Erdogan. But he's still making a big mistake. He may have the support of a strong plurality, possibly even a majority at this point, but who knows how long that will last with this widespread crackdown? Americans were behind both wars and even controversial legislation like the PATRIOT Act after 9/11 but eventually when the dust settled and we saw what we were in for we weren't happy and Bush went from the highest approval rating in history to the lowest. What if that happens to Erdogan and he finds himself an underdog in the next presidential election?

You're assuming Erdogan hasn't already subverted Turkey's democracy (his statements on democracy are telling), and even if he hasn't, this failed coup is all the excuse he needs to eliminate legitimate opposition.

You're assuming Erdogan hasn't already subverted Turkey's democracy (his statements on democracy are telling), and even if he hasn't, this failed coup is all the excuse he needs to eliminate legitimate opposition.
Talk is one thing but refusing to abdicate after losing an election or overtly tampering with it, especially sometime after the coup that temporarily boosted to his popular support wears off, is another thing. Not saying he won't do something like that but if he does he sacrifices his popular support which is one of his main strengths at this point. I don't think he'd want to rely on the military to save him from the populace after he just did the opposite in the wake of the coup.

Talk is one thing but refusing to abdicate after losing an election or overtly tampering with it, especially sometime after the coup that temporarily boosted to his popular support wears off, is another thing. Not saying he won't do something like that but if he does he sacrifices his popular support which is one of his main strengths at this point. I don't think he'd want to rely on the military to save him from the populace after he just did the opposite in the wake of the coup.

There were a lot of questions about that last election. Not that he doesn't have his popular support, but with his repeated undemocratic statements, I'd be surprised if he didn't disenfranchise his political opposition (he's already shut down their papers). Erdogan had being talking about shifting to an executive presidency well before this happened.

No one wants the Young Turks in their country.

From your link
Those who stand on our side in the fight against terrorism are our friend. Those on the opposite side, are our enemy.

'You are either with us or against us' ; now who said that...

Erdogan revealed what he is many years ago: " Early in his career Mr Erdogan made a telling remark he was later to regret. Democracy is like a train, he said; you get off once you have reached your destination."
http://www.economist.com/news/speci...tment-democracy-seems-be-fading-getting-train

Probably won't be recruited by any colleges or employers in the Glendale area.

There were a lot of questions about that last election. Not that he doesn't have his popular support, but with his repeated undemocratic statements, I'd be surprised if he didn't disenfranchise his political opposition (he's already shut down their papers). Erdogan had being talking about shifting to an executive presidency well before this happened.
His party won the majority in addition to his victory after the election in November and as far as I know it was free and fair. He's been heading down this road before the coup but the coup definitely accelerated the process.

Il What if that happens to Erdogan and he finds himself an underdog in the next presidential election?

Erdogan will known as Underdogan then.

Lol I am sorry, it is a corny joke, I can't help my self hu hu.

Back