International Turkey announces invasion of Syria

not surprising to see what side the warhawks are on.

Honestly.

This is an opportunity for some serious geopolitical conversation as this unravels except it's being used to whine about Donald Trump.

Yeah, like so many other excellent discussion threads on domestic issues that eventually turns into 99% Dems vs. GOP bs, usually by the same familiar posters.

Once the Turkish/Syrian side make any significant move beyond the current stale mate, I'll start a v2 for those who truly are interested in discussing the events happening on the grounds between the regional players and leave this thread to the full-time Trump-tweet analysts.

Last edited:
Doesn't he want to invoke the article 5 against the Kurds linked to the PKK, which have conducted guerilla warfare in turkey and are allegedly linked to the kurds in northern Syria?

Actually, Erdogan wanted to invoke Article 5 twice against Syria back in 2012. He failed both times.

One was over a downed Turkish military jet that he claimed was flying over international water (it was actually flying deep into Syrian airspace, because the range of the anti-aircraft guns that took it down can't possibly reach 13 nautical miles into international water).

The other was a potential border dispute in regards to the Tomb of Suleyman Shah (grandfather to the founder of the Ottoman Empire) that turned out to be a planned false flag operation, when the audio tape of the meeting was leaked.

You can look under Article 5 subsection of the North Atlantic Treaty for the news related to those comedic attempts. It's actually pretty amusing, to be honest.

The first precedent with the jet is actually why I'm confident that as long as Syrian/Russian troops be mindful of not crossing over to the Turkish side of the border, Erdogan is SOL in dragging the rest of NATO into his shit fest.

Last edited:
Turkey is a member of the United Nations right? I get the arguments of Trump is abandoning the Kurds to be killed, but why is there no pushback on Turkey to, you know, not slaughter and invade a group of people?

Like, a country just can't help themselves that if the US military isn't on their border to not massacre people there? God the UN is useless if they can't even deter a member from committing genocide.

they won’t commit genocide. That’s hysterical hyperbole.

the Turks suffered many suicide bombing attacks by Kurds in the last years. And they had a major military conflict/insurrection by Kurds in Turkey a few years ago. Many weapons and fighters in that came from Syria and into turkey.
They don’t want that to happen again.

but in a way, it was almost sick poetic justice. As the Turks openly allowed foreign ISIS fighters to fly to turkey, and cross the border to murder Christians, Kurds, alawites and secular Sunnis in Syria.

When I first heard that Trump is pulling troops I thought wow way to bail on allies.

But the other side I guess would be if US personnel gets killed in cross fire or base 'Accidentally' gets blown up by Turkey. What does US do at this point. Full on war with Turkey? And another life time of US military intervention in the Middle East?

At some point you gotta say no more. And Turkey Syria was going to happen eventually with or without the US being there.

Yeah, like so many other excellent discussion threads that eventually turns into 99% Dems vs. GOP bs.

Once the Turkish/Syrian side make any significant move beyond the current stale mate, I'll start a v2 for those who truly are interested in disvlcussing the events happening on the grounds between the regional players and leave this failed thread to the full-time Trump-tweet analysts.

That would be much appreciated.

When I first heard that Trump is pulling troops I thought wow way to bail on allies.

But the other side I guess would be if US personnel gets killed in cross fire or base 'Accidentally' gets blown up by Turkey. What does US do at this point. Full on war with Turkey? And another life time of US military intervention in the Middle East?

At some point you gotta say no more. And Turkey Syria was going to happen eventually with or without the US being there.

You're overselling the idea that Turkey would have invaded anyway to justify Trump's bullshit.

Turkey only invaded after we got the Kurds to dismantle defense and we got out of the way.

Bizarro world. I mean, how can this be real?

The best fighters against ISIS have been the SAA and the PMU.

obama crested ISIS by arming al qaeda in Syria. He then called ISIS the “JV team” to justify not stopping the illegal war against Syria.
When you say Obama armed Al-Qaeda, do you mean arm groups that then integrated with Al-Qaeda later, or actaully gave arms to Al-Qaeda members?

I also think it's a bit more complicated than just saying 'Obama created ISIS, statements like that are a bit pointless imo. You're just parroting Trump who said "Obama is the founder of ISIS, literally".

Bizarro world. I mean, how can this be real?

"They have a lot of sand that they can play with"

Just heard about it in the news. I get it, you know if you have thoughts that may not be well received by everyone. Most of us do this, but most of us let this brief impuls be hindered by our own questioning into what is right and wrong. Trump I hope knows what's right and wrong, but equally damned, he still chooses what is wrong to say. It's almost as if he's bordering on being a psychopath.

Tonight's assault on Sere Kaniye is led by Jaysh-al-Islam, a Turkish-backed jihadist militia who:

• Carried out torture using electrocution, detention without trial, and summary execution

• Paraded captured civilians in cages as a human shield

Been a few attacks on the city with Kurdish fighters using tunnels, Turkey is using air strikes to back their Jihadists.

Party buses to kill some Turks lol.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/...-kurds-costly-deal-assad-191015122222288.html

"A few months ago, the SDF was in a position to try to maintain everything [it had gained]. But now, being completely under [the authority of] the Syrian government, they will be trying to just maintain the safety and security of their people and towns."

It was the US's troop withdrawal that weakened the SDF, said Marwan Kablan, director of policy analysis at the Arab Centre for Research and Policy Studies.

"The Syrian regime is exploiting the situation to its maximum and will not accept autonomy for the Kurds," he said.

"Damascus will impose its own terms because the YPG is now much weaker than they were before the US withdrew ... While it may accept things like cultural rights and local councils for the Kurds, Damascus will not grant them autonomy."

For the Syrian government, the deal was also strategic as it could allow al-Assad to regain control over resource-rich areas in northeast Syria without entering into a direct confrontation with the Turks.

"This deal will allow Damascus to recover most of the territories east of Euphrates - including Qamishli, Hassakeh and Deir Az Zour - which are rich in oil and gas," said Kablan

Turkey doing exactly what needs to be done. Sending the 2 million arabs in their country back to where they belong....on arab land.

I don't care about politics or the kurds those refugees need to go back to where they came from....

If you ever complained about arab refugees invading western lands YOU SHOULD NOT BE COMPLAINING HERE. These same refugees could end up the west (and you guys would complain)....

Turkey doing what you guys aren't willing to do in your own countries...

Russia benefiting from the pullout is okay because they got a lot of sand over there to play with.

The other kids in the sandbox didn't play nice

So Trump stormed off, taking his toys with him

I don't care about politics or the kurds those refugees need to go back to where they came from.......

Except that's not where they came from and dumping them there merely sets the scene for future conflict and population movements .

Back