TUF 20 OFFICIAL PBP DISCUSSION - EPISODE 2: CALDERWOOD vs. KAGAN (7pm PST, 10pm ET)

I would have gone shin on jaw, but I'm a dick like that.
Actually if you listen carefully he was telling her to put her right shin on her face. A lot were mistaking him as saying sit or shit, but he was definitely saying shin.

TUF 20, EPISODE 2 REVIEW #teamkristin | @wmmaroundup

[YT]pZfP0JjAg8c[/YT]

TUF 20, EPISODE 2 REVIEW #teamkristin | @wmmaroundup

[YT]pZfP0JjAg8c[/YT]

Yay! I won a T-shirt on this video.

Episode 2 may have dropped me way behind in the fantasy league, but at least episode 2 won me a T-shirt.

Yay! I won a T-shirt on this video.

Episode 2 may have dropped me way behind in the fantasy league, but at least episode 2 won me a T-shirt.
Nice. Was that twitter only or did they count youtube comments as well?

Nice. Was that twitter only or did they count youtube comments as well?

I sent my submission by twitter. I assumed YouTube would count as they are a YouTube show, but I wasn't sure about Facebook.

I sent my submission by twitter. I assumed YouTube would count as they are a YouTube show, but I wasn't sure about Facebook.
Yeah they have some entertaining videos and I have been subscribed to them for a little while now, but I don't mess with twitter too much.

Pettis telling Jojo to switch grips on the kimura was a massive coaching mistake.

One, it was never a kimura or a kimura attempt in the first place. She underhooks in from on top, then locked hands.

Two, switching grips on the fly (especially with gloves on) almost never works. As soon as Jojo tried to switch her grip (very coachable!), she lost leverage on the arm, which allowed Kagan to turn.

As soon as I heard Pettis telling her to switch her grips, I started thinking to myself, "WTF are you saying?!?"

There a dozen things you can do from there (half of them sorta prevented by the fence) but she should NEVER have tried to switch her grips there. Pettis thinking it was a kimura gone wrong instead of a grip of circumstance (not a bad one, too) tells me a little bit about how young of a coach he is.

Pettis telling Jojo to switch grips on the kimura was a massive coaching mistake.

One, it was never a kimura or a kimura attempt in the first place. She underhooks in from on top, then locked hands.

Two, switching grips on the fly (especially with gloves on) almost never works. As soon as Jojo tried to switch her grip (very coachable!), she lost leverage on the arm, which allowed Kagan to turn.

As soon as I heard Pettis telling her to switch her grips, I started thinking to myself, "WTF are you saying?!?"

There a dozen things you can do from there (half of them sorta prevented by the fence) but she should NEVER have tried to switch her grips there. Pettis thinking it was a kimura gone wrong instead of a grip of circumstance (not a bad one, too) tells me a little bit about how young of a coach he is.

After rewatching the fight it was an armbar attempt, but since kagan went to the fence it blocked it.

Actually if you listen carefully he was telling her to put her right shin on her face. A lot were mistaking him as saying sit or shit, but he was definitely saying shin.

It was both. Initially he told her to sit on her face to get into a safer position. Once she was there she was supposed to attempt to break the triangle, but wasn't. That's when he told her to put her shin on jojo's face in between score some points outbursts

After rewatching the fight it was an armbar attempt, but since kagan went to the fence it blocked it.

Like I said, it was very obviously never a kimura attempt. OTOH, it is a very good armbar grip.

She could have gone belly down for a Russian armbar. The leg was across the face/neck and if she had positive control of that arm (until she listened to Pettis and tried to switch grips) there were several possibilities off of that grip, which is actually a very powerful grip, BTW.

If she'd kept the grip, the inverted triangle is easier to control, too.

Just watched the episode. Here is what I think:

- I think Penne has a point about over coaching. I will get pissed off too if I got stopped every 30 seconds to be told I'm doing something wrong. Personally (I don't know about Penne), its not ego per say. More like I just can't absorb large amounts of techniques over a short period of time - its not a coincidence that most gyms teach 2-4 techniques (maximum) per class.

- Penne comes off as a princess but Heather came off worst imo. I didn't like the whole "team loyalty" thing either since its an individual contest. Still, I understand her worry that her team might go and help Herrig instead.

- Herrig is annoying. As a guy, I should be happy that she took off her pants but I'm not really that impressed tbh. Makes MMA look bad.

- Maybe because I am overestimating Jojo but Kagan made her look average imo. Jojo really needs to work on her ground game.

I disagree Jojo's game is far from stellar but she defended all takedowns, got a good double leg, get the side mount and crucifix landed good GNP, went for an armbar with a reverse grip, but got stuck on the fence and then went for an inverted triangle, she just kep that position because the triangle was there, arm in and all, Kagan was defending well but never got out.

- I think Penne has a point about over coaching. I will get pissed off too if I got stopped every 30 seconds to be told I'm doing something wrong. Personally (I don't know about Penne), its not ego per say. More like I just can't absorb large amounts of techniques over a short period of time - its not a coincidence that most gyms teach 2-4 techniques (maximum) per class.

They aren't trying to teach her new techniques. They are correcting her form on the techniques she is already using. Those little tweaks can make all the difference in the world when it comes to the effectiveness of a technique. It's the difference between throwing a Stephan Struve-style pawing jab and throwing a Semmy Schildt-style stop-you-in-your-tracks jab.

What is with these straw weights getting trapped in reverse triangles. Felt like deja vu.

That Kagan chick looks really old for someone who is in their 30s. She has not aged gracefully.

I disagree Jojo's game is far from stellar but she defended all takedowns, got a good double leg, get the side mount and crucifix landed good GNP, went for an armbar with a reverse grip, but got stuck on the fence and then went for an inverted triangle, she just kep that position because the triangle was there, arm in and all, Kagan was defending well but never got out.
Exactly. I don't see how you could use this fight as a barometer for how "bad" her ground game is. She did a lot more good on the ground in this fight than bad.

Also, Avatar jack, HAHA.

Exactly. I don't see how you could use this fight as a barometer for how "bad" her ground game is. She did a lot more good on the ground in this fight than bad.

Nice AV dude

Where did you get it?

What is with these straw weights getting trapped in reverse triangles. Felt like deja vu.

That Kagan chick looks really old for someone who is in their 30s. She has not aged gracefully.

A lot of female athletes, especially the "outdoorsy" type end up looking weathered fairly young from all the sun exposure.

The inverted triangle is not particularly easy to finish and is typically more difficult to finish for thin, skinny people because it's not easy to eliminate all space. As a lanky grappler, you just don't have a lot of leverage from the bottom.

Jojo looked a little lost in that position and wasn't moving particularly well.

I think all of these girls heck all MMA fighters could use more over coaching. So many athletes only want to just get in a good workout at practice. You need to learn things at practice. Learn how to take an angle and then throw a strike etc. It is amazing how many fighters just hit pads in order to more or less get in a good workout.

Pettis is their coach and Rufus is his coach. This alone is enough to know that they know what they are doing. It is just different than how most people are used to training.

Back