TUF 19 Edgar VS Penn Episode 8 Discussion

Part of me thinks Van Buren will be the one to bring the violence.

The other part of me dislikes Fields.

Van Buren is soooo annoying, he's that kid in high school who brags about how tough he is and talks about "smashing people" but I don't see him making it in the UFC.

Damn it completely slipped my mind to watch this, I'll have to watch it later. :( Hope it was a good episode at least.

Well I enjoyed the fight... Wasn't a brawl, but King had reach while Gordon looked much shorter. I thought he dealt with Kings length perfect. Idk, I've enjoyed some of these fights and Dana completely shits on them. Maybe I'm just easily entertained.

Wow Gordon showed he's a terrible human, throws 0 left hooks until he pokes King's eye out and then exclusively throws them for the next two minutes to that eye, whay scum.

I've said it before, Eye Pokes do 1,000 times more to change the outcome of a fight than TRT and steroids do, start telling guys there will be no warning, eye pokes lead to instant replay which leads to instant point deduction, because what stops guys from poking each other to start a fight and get an advantage, honor, and less and less fighters have that.

Wow Gordon showed he's a terrible human, throws 0 left hooks until he pokes King's eye out and then exclusively throws them for the next two minutes to that eye, whay scum.

I've said it before, Eye Pokes do 1,000 times more to change the outcome of a fight than TRT and steroids do, start telling guys there will be no warning, eye pokes lead to instant replay which leads to instant point deduction, because what stops guys from poking each other to start a fight and get an advantage, honor, and less and less fighters have that.

You neglect to mention King had his hand wide open swiping across Gordon's face multiple times, kicked him in the cup, and poked him in the eye as well IIRC.

Shit happens.

Boring fight. For all the talk I expected them to bring it but neither was committing to their strikes fully. Props to King for continuing with one eye but neither guy looks UFC material to be honest.

Van Buren will probably finish Fields next week I reckon. Then the semis will be:

Lima vs. Zapata
Gordon vs. Pendred

Anderson vs. Walsh
Van Buren vs. Spohn

Yeah so far terrible season and if we are being honest, we prefer the 'fake' animosity between coaches instead of the nicey nicey thing that BJ and Frankie have going on

Wow, his eye got mashed up. And literally lost the fight because of it.

It's not worse than season 16 , but it sucks.

You can predict the quality of the season ,by how much is Dana talking about it. Season 17 was awesome so White hyped it more than a month since premiere. I haven't heard any big words from Dana about this season, therefore I thought it's going to be bad.

If they are not willing to match Eddie vs Cathal, I suppose it will be a final bout. Gordon in my opinion is going to ragdoll both Zapata and Lima. Ireland native should defeat these two also. Moreover, I suppose Eddie would defeat Cathal , too ( Pendred has weak striking defence , and defenitely not better wrestling). I predict Weidman teammate to win the show.

Kayaking seemed to be the most eventful occurance that episode. Eye poke was bad, they should make that a rule before a fight an eye poke is a point deduction instantly no warning. Imagine getting poked in the 1st round of a 5 round fight fighting blind. :icon_lol: The next fight should be interesting they seem to want to tip toe higher than each other.

Now, the eye poke was considerable and I feel for the dude as he was clearly less excited to fight after that happened

But man, those guys both should have thrown more strikes each round. I never get the guys on tuf who either feint more than they strike or guys who don't really let their hands go in this big opportunity. The guy with reach especially.

Not a horrible fight but sadly I have to agree with Dana..I need one of these guys to go out and try to win it in the moment

Even though he lost and the fight was somewhat lackluster, I'm a fan of King. I appreciate the guy's attitude during the fight and after. The dialogue between him and Coleman was pretty great:

"Way to suck it up"
"Yeah, fuck it"

I have never used the term before but that fight was all

wolf tickets

Van Buren is soooo annoying, he's that kid in high school who brags about how tough he is and talks about "smashing people" but I don't see him making it in the UFC.

Agreed. I think MMA is a noble career choice for Van Buren, as after listening to him for 30 seconds you really want to see him get punched in the face.

If they are not willing to match Eddie vs Cathal, I suppose it will be a final bout. Gordon in my opinion is going to ragdoll both Zapata and Lima. Ireland native should defeat these two also. Moreover, I suppose Eddie would defeat Cathal , too ( Pendred has weak striking defence , and defenitely not better wrestling). I predict Weidman teammate to win the show.

It's a tough call, Gordon certainly could win the show. I would have liked to have seen better angles, head movement, and combinations from him in the King fight. I was impressed with takedown defense though.

It never fails to amaze me; the TUF fighters are likely some of the best guys at their local gym (with exceptions for guys like Gordon, training at gyms with top-tier fighters), but they are worlds away from even prelim UFC fighters. The number of times TUF fighters miss submission or mount opportunities is astounding. Striking almost never looks polished.

Yeah so far terrible season and if we are being honest, we prefer the 'fake' animosity between coaches instead of the nicey nicey thing that BJ and Frankie have going on

Not me. What I am missing is seeing what the coaches bring to the table. Most of the time you see them doing warm-ups, yelling from the corner, motivation speech, blah blah blah. Riddle me this: why is Edgar a better coach than Penn or vice versa? Once in a blue moon you see a glimpse for just a second where a TUF coach is refining technique.

Back