TUF 19 Edgar VS Penn Episode 6 Discussion

I hate judges. And of course my fucking kounter move streak of shitluck continues as I had stephens on two teams. God fucking damnit.

Those are not the rules though....I thought Stephens won every round to be honest. Circle the winner??? Wtf kind of shit is that, especially at the highest level of competition in the sport.

Whoever wins the sudden victory round wins the fight. It cannot be a majority draw, that's the purpose of the round. Last thing you can do is "vote" the winner. Anything can happen from there.

If all cards are 9-9 because of a lost point (red corner for example), who would you choose as the winner ? Blue or Red ?

Your decision is as good as theirs. Never leave it in the hands of the judges !!!

I don't see whats the problem, why pick a winner? Its a draw, have another round.

The fights are within a pretty short time period. What if that next round is another draw? Are you going to have guys fight for like 10 rounds?

Also Dana Fucking White going on and on about Maz when if fact Maz was warning about elbows and fence like 10 or more times. There is no "this is your last warning", when did a ref said that? Dana just making things up. Good job by Maz for taking that point away, there were clearly more than few 12-6 elbows to the back of the head even with all the warning. Dana gonna keep on hating Maz

Good job by Mazz? WTF? He screwed up. He deducted a point for a strike that wasn't illegal and he was giving warnings for things that weren't illegal. He was giving him warnings for things that he didn't think were illegal, but thought were close and then took a point for something that wasn't illegal. That's not good reffing. The strike he took a point from Zapata didn't even land with the elbow, it was the higher portion of his arm that landed and it wasn't 12-6.

Oh well, I don't see either guy doing well. Zapata seems to have 0 wrestling defense and Stephens seems to have 0 offense.

Just saw the latest episode. It was awful. This kind of Judging depresses me.

I wanted Zapata to win and thats what happened in the end. But its all fucked up. These judges should resign.

Stephens had 28 points and Zapata had 26. As far as I'm concerned that should have won Stephens the fight.

Just for the way Zapata acted afterwards I hope he gets destroyed in his next fight. Dude shouldn't have won in the first damn place.

the fights in TUF are exhibition fights where someone has to win. There is no option for a draw circling who they thought won is the best option that was available. just because the judges are fucking idiots shouldn't change that. IMO I don't even see why it went to a third round Ian did enough to win just because Dana gets butt hurt over a guy grapple fucking someone shouldn't change that.
Exaclty, Ian won the first 2 rounds, shouldn't even went to a third. It looks to me that the judges got influenced by Dana's
Reaction and wanted to make it right... And Zapata celebrating like he won fair and square... Shut up dude, everyone knows you lost, keep it quiet.

1) The elbow that lost Zapata a point didn't even look borderline illegal. I get that the illegal and borderline illegal elbows "accumulate" in a referee's mind, but you should never deduct points for a legal strike just because you think it's close enough and he has done illegal shots that you didn't deduct points for earlier. Then again, I'd have no problems if he had called it earlier than he did so it's not a big deal to me. Also, the judge is not obligated to give warnings and last warnings before deducting points, Dana...

2) According to the way the fight was judged, including the point deduction, the winner makes no sense, but I'm sure everyone agrees on that.

3) Dominant position should count for a lot towards winning a fight. Effective strikes should count, too, so if you don't do anything with dominant position and keep getting elbowed in the side of the head (illegal strikes not counted) there's an argument to be made in favor of you being on the losing side of that exchange.

4) Why are there no guidelines for weighing grappling versus strikes again?

5) I thought Stephens should have won that fight, but it's hard for me to have sympathy when a grand total of two punches/knees from dominant position per round would have all but guaranteed him the win...

I don't understand Dana making this mostly about Mazz. He told the guy 100 times to watch the elbows. He would have to be a ZOMBIE to not realize if he kept doing it he was going to get a point taken away. This one's on the judges.

As much as I hate lay and pray losers, the way they judge mma these days Stephens won all 3 rounds. Absolutely comical they gave it to Zapata even after being deducted a point. Terrible episode all-in-all. I can't believe they hyped the promos up so much.
Absolutely, imo Maz did a good job warning him about those cage grabs and the elbows, he fucking told him 10 times and did it again. ( the last one wasn't illegal though ) so not that bad of a call from Maz, Dana overreacted.. By UFC standards Ian won all two rounds, they can't change the way they scores fights on the fly, that makess no sence to give the guy who lost the win just to please Dana or fans. Id much prefer they score fights for the damages but its not the way they do it.

Even though he was a blanket, he should have won the fight after 2. All Zapata did was land a few elbows (some of which were'nt legal).

3rd round (sudden victory)

1 judge score it 10-8 for Stevens.

2 judges scored it 9-9 which is the right score imo. A draw basically.But what to do then.

So right there, Stevens wins, a split decision (unless I'm missing something) What the hell. There's no question at all. This is criminal.

Why go back and ask the judges to then judge the entire fight as one big round and who won, when the winner is right there on the cards??? That's not UFC rules. This is abysmal. The UFC needs to get their crap together on this, how can this be taken seriously.

Also BJ is funny is heck, but the whole "Every fight should be judged on what the peoples faces look like" is the stupidest saying going. I hate when people say that. Then Zapata who was given a gift starts chirpin then chess thumpin' after he just got rag dolled for twelve minutes. Really? Really Zapata...

Last edited:
3rd round (sudden victory)

1 judge score it 10-8 for Stevens.

2 judges scored it 9-9 which is the right score imo. A draw basically.But what to do then.

So right there, Stevens wins, a split decision (unless I'm missing something) What the hell. There's no question at all. This is criminal.

Because you can't win a split decision unless the majority of the judges had you winning the fight. If two judges scored it a draw, it is a majority draw.
I don't think anyone knew what they would do, because this had never happened before, but I liked their solution of scoring the fight as a whole.

Can we insult the judges or will that be considered Ronda bashing? I can't seem to 'censor' myself enough lately to fit into the SD censorship model without having all those Pride yellow cards flying at me, but I'll try.

On the judges decision...

I

MMA judges are fucked because of the awful 10-9 point system.

10-9 works in boxing because there are many short rounds, it's not designed for MMA. How many times have we seen a fighter control 2 rounds in MMA whilst doing hardly anything, just layin and prayin... then in the final round they will get the crap beaten out of them and they still go on to win via decision. If you saw that fight in the street there would be no doubt who won. MMA fights need to be scored as a whole.

Last round should have been a 9-9, robbed us of a pivotal 4th round of non-stop action!

lol-face-meme-wallpaper-.jpeg

Horrible decision. Maybe I'm a little biased because I picked Ian Stephans to win the whole thing, but people are sitting here acting like Zapata landed a barrage of strikes and destroyed him in the stand-up. No, he landed a couple good punches, and some elbows from the ground. Thats it.

Ian landed some strikes as well, but he also controlled the fight, and had his back for most of the fight.

There shouldn't have even been a third round.

I hate the world after watching the episode. There shouldn't have even been a 3rd round.

I don't know about you guys, but BJ Penn was cracking me up post-fight. He said something like "There's no way this kid could have won the decision. Leave! Leave before they can reverse the decision! That's what I would do."

So losing a point in the sudden victory round doesn't mean shit. If you were to win by 10-9, you win by 10-8. If you were to lose by 10-9, the round is a tie 9-9, but the judges will pick the other fighter to win anyway.

Back