1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

TUF 19 Edgar VS Penn Episode 6 Discussion

Discussion in 'So You Wanna Be A Fighter Discussion' started by shonuf, May 21, 2014.

1. Turtleguard Brown Belt

I hate judges. And of course my fucking kounter move streak of shitluck continues as I had stephens on two teams. God fucking damnit.

2. neandertal Gold Belt

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  3. beginetienne Blue Belt

Whoever wins the sudden victory round wins the fight. It cannot be a majority draw, that's the purpose of the round. Last thing you can do is "vote" the winner. Anything can happen from there.

If all cards are 9-9 because of a lost point (red corner for example), who would you choose as the winner ? Blue or Red ?

Your decision is as good as theirs. Never leave it in the hands of the judges !!!

4. CO68 Silver Belt

The fights are within a pretty short time period. What if that next round is another draw? Are you going to have guys fight for like 10 rounds?

Good job by Mazz? WTF? He screwed up. He deducted a point for a strike that wasn't illegal and he was giving warnings for things that weren't illegal. He was giving him warnings for things that he didn't think were illegal, but thought were close and then took a point for something that wasn't illegal. That's not good reffing. The strike he took a point from Zapata didn't even land with the elbow, it was the higher portion of his arm that landed and it wasn't 12-6.

Oh well, I don't see either guy doing well. Zapata seems to have 0 wrestling defense and Stephens seems to have 0 offense.

5. Bubson Bubba Purple Belt

Just saw the latest episode. It was awful. This kind of Judging depresses me.

I wanted Zapata to win and thats what happened in the end. But its all fucked up. These judges should resign.

6. submitted Orange Belt

Stephens had 28 points and Zapata had 26. As far as I'm concerned that should have won Stephens the fight.

7. dawnignited Thug Rose, Thug Rose, Thug Rose

Just for the way Zapata acted afterwards I hope he gets destroyed in his next fight. Dude shouldn't have won in the first damn place.

8. MGS Her name is Dakota Skye

Exaclty, Ian won the first 2 rounds, shouldn't even went to a third. It looks to me that the judges got influenced by Dana's
    Reaction and wanted to make it right... And Zapata celebrating like he won fair and square... Shut up dude, everyone knows you lost, keep it quiet.

9. Kaii White Belt

1) The elbow that lost Zapata a point didn't even look borderline illegal. I get that the illegal and borderline illegal elbows "accumulate" in a referee's mind, but you should never deduct points for a legal strike just because you think it's close enough and he has done illegal shots that you didn't deduct points for earlier. Then again, I'd have no problems if he had called it earlier than he did so it's not a big deal to me. Also, the judge is not obligated to give warnings and last warnings before deducting points, Dana...

2) According to the way the fight was judged, including the point deduction, the winner makes no sense, but I'm sure everyone agrees on that.

3) Dominant position should count for a lot towards winning a fight. Effective strikes should count, too, so if you don't do anything with dominant position and keep getting elbowed in the side of the head (illegal strikes not counted) there's an argument to be made in favor of you being on the losing side of that exchange.

4) Why are there no guidelines for weighing grappling versus strikes again?

5) I thought Stephens should have won that fight, but it's hard for me to have sympathy when a grand total of two punches/knees from dominant position per round would have all but guaranteed him the win...

10. MGS Her name is Dakota Skye

Absolutely, imo Maz did a good job warning him about those cage grabs and the elbows, he fucking told him 10 times and did it again. ( the last one wasn't illegal though ) so not that bad of a call from Maz, Dana overreacted.. By UFC standards Ian won all two rounds, they can't change the way they scores fights on the fly, that makess no sence to give the guy who lost the win just to please Dana or fans. Id much prefer they score fights for the damages but its not the way they do it.

11. Jballer Red Belt

Even though he was a blanket, he should have won the fight after 2. All Zapata did was land a few elbows (some of which were'nt legal).

12. Nola213 Purple Belt

3rd round (sudden victory)

1 judge score it 10-8 for Stevens.

2 judges scored it 9-9 which is the right score imo. A draw basically.But what to do then.

So right there, Stevens wins, a split decision (unless I'm missing something) What the hell. There's no question at all. This is criminal.

Why go back and ask the judges to then judge the entire fight as one big round and who won, when the winner is right there on the cards??? That's not UFC rules. This is abysmal. The UFC needs to get their crap together on this, how can this be taken seriously.

Also BJ is funny is heck, but the whole "Every fight should be judged on what the peoples faces look like" is the stupidest saying going. I hate when people say that. Then Zapata who was given a gift starts chirpin then chess thumpin' after he just got rag dolled for twelve minutes. Really? Really Zapata...

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  13. BrazilianDude Gold Belt

Because you can't win a split decision unless the majority of the judges had you winning the fight. If two judges scored it a draw, it is a majority draw.
    I don't think anyone knew what they would do, because this had never happened before, but I liked their solution of scoring the fight as a whole.

14. Watcher1981 Blue Belt

Can we insult the judges or will that be considered Ronda bashing? I can't seem to 'censor' myself enough lately to fit into the SD censorship model without having all those Pride yellow cards flying at me, but I'll try.

On the judges decision...

I

15. Lew_Boy Blue Belt

MMA judges are fucked because of the awful 10-9 point system.

10-9 works in boxing because there are many short rounds, it's not designed for MMA. How many times have we seen a fighter control 2 rounds in MMA whilst doing hardly anything, just layin and prayin... then in the final round they will get the crap beaten out of them and they still go on to win via decision. If you saw that fight in the street there would be no doubt who won. MMA fights need to be scored as a whole.

16. Torrid Cunning Linguist

Last round should have been a 9-9, robbed us of a pivotal 4th round of non-stop action!

[​IMG]

17. DLX thpinal

Horrible decision. Maybe I'm a little biased because I picked Ian Stephans to win the whole thing, but people are sitting here acting like Zapata landed a barrage of strikes and destroyed him in the stand-up. No, he landed a couple good punches, and some elbows from the ground. Thats it.

Ian landed some strikes as well, but he also controlled the fight, and had his back for most of the fight.

There shouldn't have even been a third round.

18. kevo1295 Black Belt

I hate the world after watching the episode. There shouldn't have even been a 3rd round.

19. Bboy Black Belt

I don't know about you guys, but BJ Penn was cracking me up post-fight. He said something like "There's no way this kid could have won the decision. Leave! Leave before they can reverse the decision! That's what I would do."

20. Xhizors Purple Belt

So losing a point in the sudden victory round doesn't mean shit. If you were to win by 10-9, you win by 10-8. If you were to lose by 10-9, the round is a tie 9-9, but the judges will pick the other fighter to win anyway.