TUF 19 Edgar VS Penn Episode 5 Discussion

When I saw that during the episode, I wasn't sure if he was going for a flying triangle/armbar/omoplata (which his Russian-speaking teammate pulled on him in training), or doing some kind of Swanson / Pettis-on-Henderson II capoeira kick. The only highlight of an otherwise one-sided fight.

I've been watching every week, just have to DVR every episode.

I'm actually enjoying this season quite a bit.

excited to see what happens on the next episode. shitty decision, crappy point deduction, or possible DQ. We will see

Its interesting watching how wrestling is so important as a foundation... Fighting was always so much more about standup but in the end, in reality, if someone knows how to take you to the ground. If you dont have great TDD and you get someone good youre scr*wed..
And am I the only one a bit grossed out how guys completely dripping with sweat straight out of practice or fight sit back on the couch where other guys who are dressed also sit.

Have you just started watching MMA?

Its interesting watching how wrestling is so important as a foundation... Fighting was always so much more about standup but in the end, in reality, if someone knows how to take you to the ground. If you dont have great TDD and you get someone good youre scr*wed..
And am I the only one a bit grossed out how guys completely dripping with sweat straight out of practice or fight sit back on the couch where other guys who are dressed also sit.

How have you been on this forum for 4 years? :icon_conf

I need footage of that BJ analogy earlier in the episode when he was talking about the over training being like salty food.

Did team Edgar ever really made it to the top of the mountain though?
They never showed any footage from the top.
What a bunch of wussies, can't even make it to the top of the mountain :icon_lol:

What a bunch of wussies, can't even make it to the top of the mountain :icon_lol:

the group was split in half, one wanted to climb to the top of the mountain, and the other half were crybabies and wanted to descend to the bottom.

Fight wasn't great. Anderson can literally only wrestle, as Team Penn said. He's got a long way to go and I could see, for example, Spohn, being athletic enough to stuff the takedowns and eat him up standing. Clark was just too slow, stiff and sluggish to do anything in that fight.

As for next week, I'm gonna guess Zapata lands a few illegal blows, gets a few points deducted, and Stephens can't continue so it ends via DQ.

He did indeed look slow and sluggish. Was expecting more from his hands tbh.

I was thinking the same thing, having climbed a hell of a lot higher mountains myself. It's not easy, but that shit was basically just a short trek, man the fuck up.

Man these threads are dead this season, even 18 got to at least 6-7 pages, this is terrible

The boring ass fights don't help either

IMO Clark won first roudn based on his strikes and actually putting out offense, second was Corey's.

I sort of understand why they airead TUF Nations before this one, because this season is pretty bad, fight wise

Wow, I can't believe how much everyone is shitting on Clark. I thought that big country boy was going to be stiff as hell and put on his back pronto, that didn't quite happen. In the first round, when he actually threw combinations, he was landing at the end of them - he just didn't have the confidence to follow up more afterwards. He also landed a good knee while Corey was ducking that no one seems to mention.

Even Dana is shitting on him for his TDD, like he should just be able to stuff the best wrestler on the show because it would make a better fight. Usually, I don't care what DW has to say because he's just a promoter - this season though, everything he says is pretty much completely unfounded bullshit. I think his abysmal vibe is actually bringing EVERYONE down, the fans and fighters included.

Frankie was just disgustingly biased in his fight breakdown, but what can you expect? The first round was close and Corey really only edged it from getting TDs with next to no damage. The second round he really started to turn on the GnP though, so good for him. The guy is really young in his career so no reason to shit on him for doing what comes natural.

Watching this season and TUF Brasil 3 at the same time makes me wonder how the TUF19 LHWs would stack up against the TUF Brasil 3 HWs...

Corey really showed that he's a "beast"

tumblr_m3f0qf7mzD1rooslk.gif

Looks to me from the preview for next week that Frankie's guy gets a point taken away for a downward elbow, remainder of fight is even but he wins a decision somehow and everyone goes ape shit..?

Looks to me from the preview for next week that Frankie's guy gets a point taken away for a downward elbow, remainder of fight is even but he wins a decision somehow and everyone goes ape shit..?

Looks to me like Zapata gets a point taken from him.

Mazzagatti appears to immediately take a point from one of them for an illegal elbow with no warning and whoever has the point taken away looks to win the decision.

Both teams look pissed but BJ's team look like they're going to riot ha

I'm thinking Blondie gets the point deducted for the illegal strike on Zapata, and then goes on to win the fight, which is only 2 rounds, so it'd be impossible. Best he could hope for is a draw.. but the judges decide to give it to him anyway. That's what I took away from the preview, but the preview for the Clark/Anderson fight also made it look like an exciting fight, sooooo.

i'm thinking blondie gets the point deducted for the illegal strike on zapata, and then goes on to win the fight, which is only 2 rounds, so it'd be impossible. Best he could hope for is a draw.. But the judges decide to give it to him anyway. That's what i took away from the preview, but the preview for the clark/anderson fight also made it look like an exciting fight, sooooo.
9-9
10-9 blondie

Blondie wins.

zero heat between edgar and BJ. Not sure how this is hyping their fight at all. where is the trash talk, the pranks, the jokes to send the other person over the edge. To the death Frankie, the to the death! is what I want to hear.

At least BJ is watching his salt and his weight. I for one, believe.

Back