Trying to understand the demand for Sonnen??

People forget that he did earn both is title shots against Anderson. As a middleweight he has done well for himself. And while I think he loses to some of the top guys at MW I think he can beat Vitor and will. He's got the style that usually breaks Vitor. He's tough at 185 no doubt. He's still capable of bringing it in the cage as of now.

Yeah but he can't take a punch...

Haha were does this come from he hasn't been ko'd so clearly he can take a punch

Come on, he folds as soon as he gets hit.

True he doesn't go to sleep, but he's pretty much done after one good strike

But chael getting money n fans has more to do with his mouth than fighting skills. That would be like failing kid passing or getting good grade cause he was a class clown n teacher found him abusing n did him a favor.

You mixing things up.

Go outside get some fresh air, you need it
man are you slow

He doesn't get paid without fighting
Which you compared to failing a test because he lost. He didn't lose in the areas that really count at this stage in his career

The sooner you accept you are not very bright is the sooner you can try to fix the problem. This denial is only going to prolong it

You probably think firefighters aren't brave either because its their job

I get it. You're a kid (obvious by the goofy failed test analogy) and you tried talking above your intellect and you don't want to admit it blew up in your face. Have someone at recess read the exchange and explain anything you still don't get. My max time on idiots is only a few minutes a day and you already have me over. I'd be better off talking to a wall. At least it wouldn't continue to get dumber

man are you slow

He doesn't get paid without fighting
Which you compared to failing a test because he lost. He didn't lose in the areas that really count at this stage in his career

The sooner you accept you are not very bright is the sooner you can try to fix the problem. This denial is only going to prolong it

You probably think firefighters aren't brave either because its their job

I get it. You're a kid (obvious by the goofy failed test analogy) and you tried talking above your intellect and you don't want to admit it blew up in your face. Have someone at recess read the exchange and explain anything you still don't get. My max time on idiots is only a few minutes a day and you already have me over. I'd be better off talking to a wall. At least it wouldn't continue to get dumber

you call that fighting? youre a tool. the only reason chael can make living as a fighter is cause of idiots like you hanging from his nuts.

at this point hes no different from bob sapp. im guessing you think hes brave too, hes "fightig" all the time.

he takes "tough" fights, but doesnt even fight, so hows that act of bravery?

its like a dumb kid (like you) taking a test without studying, does that meake you smart?

youre definitely not smart nuff to continue this back n fore (no surprise since youre a chael fan), so go to another thread, where other idiots like you talk about how great chael is.

I enjoy watching him get finished, it's happened allot. Wanderlei has been my hero since early high school. Seeing this play out this way is the most disappointed I have been in an extremely long time.

See, you just answered the demand for Sonnen. You like to see Chael fight for your own reasons, others like his fights for other reasons.

And I'm glad to hear you are disappointed by your hero, but I'm sure you will somehow blame Chael for Wanderlei's ducking.

You missed point, but it's no surprise really, chael fans are not really the smartest fans around

Let me try again.

It's he's job to fight, so how's accepting a fight (especially ts) a brave thing to do?

You think any other fight in his position would do the same?

He lost his opportunities at mw n there wasn't gonna be another one for a long time. At lhw he could do it the hard way like everybody else n fight his way to the top or simply take gift ts.

Now back to our analogy

Failing student got nothing to lose (just like sonnen) so for him taking a test with or without studying is the same. He will fail.

The only difference is some ppl (chael fans) will think he's so "smart" he didnt even study for the test.

Ohhhh the butthurt is so strong in this one, thread after thread. Good, let the hate flow through you. Chael Sonnen wants you mad, so you can spread the word how everyone should watch his fights to see him get smashed.

I mean I can understand why he's marketable to the casual viewer, but here we are on sherdog where most people would be considered somewhat hardcore fans.

Ok, so here's a guy who's not very interesting as a fighter, certainly his style is not exciting, and he's not even a contender in any weight class at this point. He's funny I'll give him that, he's made me laugh plenty, but once I remind myself that I'm no longer a 9 year old watching Hulk Hogan threaten Macho Man, and that all the hype and trash talk we see in mma before a fight is totally meaningless, I ask myself why are people so interested to see this guy fight?

I know Wand dropping out of their fight was news for that day, but I couldn't get over how many threads were started over it. Really, a fight between a washed up legend and a mid-level fighter who's a top level trash talker had people that excited??

Now some are suggesting another title shot for Sonnen if he beats Vitor lol. Am I the only one who saw Sonnen fold like a yellow cur in his last 3 losses?? He talks such a good game, but then doesn't even put up a fight when the moment comes. He straight up rolled over and died against Rashad. He basically went in there just to collect a paycheck, didn't put on any kind of show for the fans, and just did about as well as I would do if it was me fighting in his place. Yet there's still this Sonnen cult following, people matching him up with all these top fighters, talking about title shots, etc.

To me he will always be the guy who talked his way into money, and I applaud him for it. I mean how many other B-level fighters who dont have an exciting personality or fighting style can say they're as well known as Chael. So this is in no way a thread bashing Chael, my hats off to him for maximizing his profit with the very little that he had. It's more of a question to his fanboys, what's interesting about this guy if he's not talking??

pointless thread. you answered your own question in your original post. answer: he talks and has personality.

He's an intellectual diamond in the rough of dumb-dumb athletes. And there is no one on earth is is scared of. It is an absolute rarity.

He's the guy who will be looking like a multi-million dollar alpha even at 70 years old when the rest will be broke and homeless by 45.

He's an intellectual diamond in the rough of dumb-dumb athletes. And there is no one on earth is is scared of. It is an absolute rarity.

He's the guy who will be looking like a multi-million dollar alpha even at 70 years old when the rest will be broke and homeless by 45.

Otherwise correct but he is scared of any opponent (because he is intelligent enough to be, and honest enough to admit it) , but he will fight anyone.

How is chael not exciting? He's constantly going forward with punches and takedowns, and is always active when on the ground?
He also knows how to talk himself up like you said and he himself noticed.

Entertaining all around.

After Silva II, Jones and Rashad, it's pretty apparent he's no real threat as contender anymore. If his personality was real, that being a walking verbal disaster with zero impulse control -hell I'd be real interested. As it is, you can almost see the $$$ coming out of his mouth with his self promoting, fake tirades...

What is it with this bullshit that Chael is a boring lnp fighter? He always brings the fight and takes crazy chances, which is the opposite of lay n pray. Just because he offensively wrestles doesn't mean he Lays n prays.

I bet Shogun doesn't think Chael is boring...

Have you seen his last few fights? He wasn't in anyone's face, it was their fists in his face.

He lost to better fighters, I know this is hard for you to understand but sometimes that happens.

He had a fight with Jones that wasn't even in his natural weight class.......Jones is currently considered the best fighter in the world

He had a fight with Rashad and he looked like shit.

That's one poor performance IMO

What weight did Sonnen start fighting at again? Weird that he would spend the first 9 years of his career as a journeyman at a weight class that isn't his natural weight.

He was a middle of the pack journeyman that nobody cared about till he started taking TRT and dropped to Middleweight and finally started putting together a winning streak, think about that for a second and maybe it will become clearer why a lot of people don't like him.

Use the search function and see what you find about Cheal before he started running his mouth, you won't find much fanfare, then he starts running his gimmick and all the sudden everyone is a huge fan of his because of his fighting style, lol, where were you guys before the top control wrestler came with a sideshow. " Oh but he's so active with his ground and pound" Funny because if you look at the states Jon Fitch is just as active with his GNP yet he is one of the most hated fighters ever, weird since there styles are so similar how can these hordes of top control wrestling fans love one but hate the other? Whats the real difference here?

Being in completely one sided fights against great fighters doesn't make you a legend, if it did Yuji Nagata would be considered GOAT. He did nothing against Jones and Rashad that would prove he even belonged in the same arena with them and lets not forget Rashads lackluster fights before that one sided drubbing, like the one against natural middleweight Hendo, a real legend, who wasn't beaten down by Rashad in record time even though he's considerably smaller and older than Cheal.

What are the odds that Chael won't pretend to be a turtle in his next fight? Anyone?

Back