Trying to understand the demand for Sonnen??

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I mean I can understand why he's marketable to the casual viewer, but here we are on sherdog where most people would be considered somewhat hardcore fans.

Ok, so here's a guy who's not very interesting as a fighter, certainly his style is not exciting, and he's not even a contender in any weight class at this point. He's funny I'll give him that, he's made me laugh plenty, but once I remind myself that I'm no longer a 9 year old watching Hulk Hogan threaten Macho Man, and that all the hype and trash talk we see in mma before a fight is totally meaningless, I ask myself why are people so interested to see this guy fight?

I know Wand dropping out of their fight was news for that day, but I couldn't get over how many threads were started over it. Really, a fight between a washed up legend and a mid-level fighter who's a top level trash talker had people that excited??

Now some are suggesting another title shot for Sonnen if he beats Vitor lol. Am I the only one who saw Sonnen fold like a yellow cur in his last 3 losses?? He talks such a good game, but then doesn't even put up a fight when the moment comes. He straight up rolled over and died against Rashad. He basically went in there just to collect a paycheck, didn't put on any kind of show for the fans, and just did about as well as I would do if it was me fighting in his place. Yet there's still this Sonnen cult following, people matching him up with all these top fighters, talking about title shots, etc.

To me he will always be the guy who talked his way into money, and I applaud him for it. I mean how many other B-level fighters who dont have an exciting personality or fighting style can say they're as well known as Chael. So this is in no way a thread bashing Chael, my hats off to him for maximizing his profit with the very little that he had. It's more of a question to his fanboys, what's interesting about this guy if he's not talking??

I mean I can understand why he's marketable to the casual viewer, but here we are on sherdog where most people would be considered somewhat hardcore fans.

Ok, so here's a guy who's not very interesting as a fighter, certainly his style is not exciting, and he's not even a contender in any weight class at this point. He's funny I'll give him that, he's made me laugh plenty, but once I remind myself that I'm no longer a 9 year old watching Hulk Hogan threaten Macho Man, and that all the hype and trash talk we see in mma before a fight is totally meaningless, I ask myself why are people so interested to see this guy fight?

I know Wand dropping out of their fight was news for that day, but I couldn't get over how many threads were started over it. Really, a fight between a washed up legend and a mid-level fighter who's a top level trash talker had people that excited??

Now some are suggesting another title shot for Sonnen if he beats Vitor lol. Am I the only one who saw Sonnen fold like a yellow cur in his last 3 losses?? He talks such a good game, but then doesn't even put up a fight when the moment comes. He straight up rolled over and died against Rashad. He basically went in there just to collect a paycheck, didn't put on any kind of show for the fans, and just did about as well as I would do if it was me fighting in his place. Yet there's still this Sonnen cult following, people matching him up with all these top fighters, talking about title shots, etc.

To me he will always be the guy who talked his way into money, and I applaud him for it. I mean how many other B-level fighters who dont have an exciting personality or fighting style can say they're as well known as Chael. So this is in no way a thread bashing Chael, my hats off to him for maximizing his profit with the very little that he had. It's more of a question to his fanboys, what's interesting about this guy if he's not talking??

Great thread and totally agree he's really nothing special

Seems like most of his "fans" just enjoy his corny banter than his actual fights

I enjoy his fights. He is an in your face fighter

I enjoy his fights. He is an in your face fighter

This... I was a fan of his during the old Team Quest days with Randy, Henderson, and Lindland. Back in the day he was actually one of the fighters that only the hardcore fans would talk about.

That being said, I do agree that most of Chael's appeal comes from his ability to cause hype and talk trash. If it weren't for that he might have ended up like Shields and Okami a long time ago.

People act like Chael is an over the hill can, because of his recent win/loss record not taking into account he faced the 2 GOATs, and Rashad Evans who is a natural LHW and would be champ if JBJ wasn't around.

Chael can still mix with the best at MW, and I hope he returns for one more run at the title.

I like Chael's fights because he rushes like a bull, and he stays active while on the ground. He's not afraid to take on anyone, and he has great sportsmanship.

Besides, once Rashad had Chael in that position, what was he supposed to do? The fight was over, Rashad was locked in position.

we saw the shogun fight...

Oh ya, he did beat another guy who's lost 3 of his last 4 fights... ya you're right I change my mind, give him a shot at Cain right away.

Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out.

Hardcore fans know Sonnen isn't a super elite MMAist. But it's fun to hear him talk and promote fights, and the best place for him to do that from is a high profile position.

Sonnen is a favorite of the pro-wrestling crowd that came over when Brock started fighting. He's always been a guy that's talked his way into big fights that usually result in him proving he doesn't belong there (Rashad, Jones, etc)

Cause Sonnen has balls, and jumps right in the face of fighters most other fighters run away from.

If you can't at least respect that aspect about him, you're probably a pussy that got picked on a lot.

He's still very relevant in the rankings. He lost to Jones (#1 p4p) Anderson (was #1 p4p at the time) and rashad (#3 LHW, former champion)

If he beats Vitor He is right in the title picture.

He did have impressive performance vs silva n was really the 1st guy to make him look human in UFC. Later of course we found out about trt n silvas injury, but it was too late sonnen ship has sailed

I have been a Sonnen fan well before I ever heard him talk trash. I like his demeanor and his aggressive style.

he throws more ground & pound than almost any other wrestler & is constantly pushing the pace. if he had the power of a Munoz almost everyone he fought would be hurt badly. a wrestler that goes to decisions often does not immediately equal LNP, you mouth breathing neck beards.

Don't know what you're talking about.I'll miss his legendary brawls when he retires.

Have you seen his last few fights? He wasn't in anyone's face, it was their fists in his face.

He had a fight with Jones that wasn't even in his natural weight class.......Jones is currently considered the best fighter in the world

He had a fight with Rashad and he looked like shit.

That's one poor performance IMO

People act like Chael is an over the hill can, because of his recent win/loss record not taking into account he faced the 2 GOATs, and Rashad Evans who is a natural LHW and would be champ if JBJ wasn't around.

Chael can still mix with the best at MW, and I hope he returns for one more run at the title.

I like Chael's fights because he rushes like a bull, and he stays active while on the ground. He's not afraid to take on anyone, and he has great sportsmanship.

Besides, once Rashad had Chael in that position, what was he supposed to do? The fight was over, Rashad was locked in position.

Rashad lost his title to Machida, and was beat by a washed up Lil Nog... he's a good fighter, but let's not get carried away.

And I'm not saying Chael is a scrub, but he's grossly overated. The highlight of his career is "almost" beating Anderson, and even that's tarnished considering Anderson fought injured and Chael failed the drug test after.

Ya he got his ass handed to him by 2 GOATS, but he was just given the second Anderson shot because he wouldn't shut up, and the Jones fight was a complete joke which proved he didn't belong fighting for titles, yet some of his fanboys are still asking for him to get another shot. That's what I dont get, he didn't entertain anyone in any of those fights, he rolled over and quit in the first round and collected a big fat paycheck off the guppies who paid to see him fight, and they're willing to do it all over again lol.

Back