trying to stretch for high kicks

Head height being what? The higher you can kick the more power you can get into the kick. I started out being about to kick someone about 5'10" in the chin. Now that I can get up to around 6'8" that kick to 5'10" is a lot easier, faster, and carries far more power.

Probably about 6'1 when I started, up to 6'8 now.

lol you guys literally measure how high you can headkick?

lol you guys literally measure how high you can headkick?

No, that was just a rough estimate of how high I could when I started to where I can now whilst sparring people that are 6'8 or taller. For the record I'm 6'1.

Ok, I know I'm training Kyokushin and not MMA or Thai Boxing, but why the fuck would you want to lean back and be on your toes? That gets you off balance and your kick becomes telegraphed. (See Glaube Feitosa knockouts)

For height? Aint that what you asked for?

And how the fuck would your kicks be telegraphed when that's what you're doing mid kick, I assume you think I meant just stand there on your toes and lean back? Then throw a kick?

Silly boy.

Increasing your kick height requires regular dynamic stretches as part of your warm up and static stretches after exercising.

Simply stretching your groin and hamstring is not enough to produce the flexibility required for high section kicks. You need to stretch all of the lower body muscles (calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, groin, hip flexors) and joints (ankle, knee) to improve your control over the height and power of your kicks.

It is also important to stretch your lower back, obliques and abdominal muscles. These core muscles are utilized fully in throwing all kicks, but especially roundhouses.

On the leaning back vs. not leaning back debate, I believe that the middle ground is the best option. You definitely don't want to lean too far back so that you are off balance and the slightest counter motion from your opponent will knock you over. However, I also find that if you don't lean back far enough you are left open for either a jab/cross, even when using your lead arm as a counterweight crossing in front of you and having your rear arm guarding your temple.

Essentially, throw the kick while still having a body posture that allows you to remain balanced but keeps your head out of range. But really, a lot of this doesn't matter in the fighting moment, as good technique goes out the window in most fights. That's why you see guys like Badr Hari throwing high roundhouses with both of his arms flailing out to the side and dipping over + leaning back. (and subsequently falling to the canvas).

I think half of them make it up.

How the hell could you measure it!? Haha
Well, if your sparring partner is X height and you are able to tag him with your kicks then you know you are able to kick X high.

Similarly, if you have a 6 foot Thai bag or a Century BOB you could roughly estimate how high you can kick, or know exactly how high with the latter.

However, kicking high is meaningless unless you can generate enough speed and power while remaining in balance to make it useful. In MMA, you aren't given the luxury that you have in Kickboxing to return to your feet after slipping while throwing a high kick.

Well, if your sparring partner is X height and you are able to tag him with your kicks then you know you are able to kick X high.

Similarly, if you have a 6 foot Thai bag or a Century BOB you could roughly estimate how high you can kick, or know exactly how high with the latter.

However, kicking high is meaningless unless you can generate enough speed and power while remaining in balance to make it useful. In MMA, you aren't given the luxury that you have in Kickboxing to return to your feet after slipping while throwing a high kick.

But still...

Knowing the height of how you can kick is useful how??? This argument is going nowhere I'm afraid.

I find it that I get a lot more height kicking pads, or a live partner, gives me something to aim for.

But still...

Knowing the height of how you can kick is useful how??? This argument is going nowhere I'm afraid.

I find it that I get a lot more height kicking pads, or a live partner, gives me something to aim for.

It's not useful to know at all, just a fact that I know and pointed out :p
It's not like I get out the measuring tape alongside the bad and see how high I can get it up. Just in sparring etc, the height of my opponent is my height gauge.

how do you NOT know roughly how high you can kick? I've never measured it either, but I can kick about the same height as my head, so that would put my kicks at 5'8" or so.

how do you NOT know roughly how high you can kick? I've never measured it either, but I can kick about the same height as my head, so that would put my kicks at 5'8" or so.

lol i'm sure i have the ability to headkick most people without worrying about roughly how high it is numerically

Back