trying to stretch for high kicks

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by NUNZIO, Sep 3, 2010.

1. NUNZIO

NUNZIO White Belt

what would be the best streching exercise to do to get your high kicks more loose or limber,flexible. I'm good from the ribs down no problem there I just want to get more flexible so I can start kicking to the head.

2. whitesport

whitesport Brown Belt

Install two loops at your ceiling, put a rope in between, hang your foot in there and pull it up with your hands. Just in case you don

3. RMMaryport

RMMaryport Green Belt

Just keep training your high kicks on a bag, make sure you get real high on your toes and lean back, you will get height on them no bother at all, I can kick 6'2 guys in the head with ease, and if you compete, just hope your trainer sorts you a fight with a midget, then launch 10-20 high kicks into the mother fucker with no remorse!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  4. devildog138

devildog138 Orange Belt

try a combo of isometric stretching and static stretches. stretch lightly before working out and cool down with 10-15 min of good stretching

5. Messiah_UK

Messiah_UK Blue Belt

Just stretch stretch stretch and keep on kicking...

I stopped for a few months and now I need to do the same as I've lost about 12" from my kicks.

6. Philosophy

Philosophy Orange Belt

Actually, it is a form and timing thing. Much less to do than with flexibility. I can head kick people 5" taller than myself. I do no stretching.

7. Kaunas***

Kaunas*** Blue Belt

Ok, I know I'm training Kyokushin and not MMA or Thai Boxing, but why the fuck would you want to lean back and be on your toes? That gets you off balance and your kick becomes telegraphed. (See Glaube Feitosa knockouts)

8. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

Just stretch each major muscle in your leg, Not a single one will get the trick done but doing them all will.

9. phanattic

phanattic Orange Belt

just do what i'm doing in this pic on each leg for like 10 seconds:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  10. Logan M

Logan M Purple Belt

Horrible post. Its very much about flexibility. The more flexible you are the easier it is to turn over your high kicks. You gain a lot of power and speed being more flexible. Now throwing high kicks will make you more flexible but its not like you can just bust them out if you have proper form and barely practice them.

11. NUNZIO

NUNZIO White Belt

. As I would love to do this one day I'm not quit there yet but I'll try and see what I can do.

12. phanattic

phanattic Orange Belt

some people are naturally flexible man, i never had to work on them i could always do the splits, always do a headkick

13. Alacrity

Alacrity White Belt

I do side-split stretches and front-split stretches. With the side split, I also crawl forward on my hands in a pseudo-pushup position. I also walk my hands forward down and under my legs and lean back onto them, making sure to keep the muscles stretching, and hold it for 10-20 seconds.

A year ago I struggled to kick people in the head, now I can kick people in the head who are a couple inches taller than me.

head kicks do involve a lot of technique, but you can't develop that technique without flexibility.

14. Logan M

Logan M Purple Belt

Well you're a lucky bastard then. That simply doesn't apply to 99.9% of males.

15. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

Practice throwing the kick over, and over, and over. I started learning them about 3 months ago and was surprised how quickly head kicks improve. Things I learned from my own attempts, might be helpful to you:

- don't try to go for head height right away, you'll fall down. At first I was setting targets, you know, aiming for a particular spot, but it kept being too high. So I just started kicking as high as I comfortably could, figured out where that spot was, and tried to get a little higher.
    - distance is REALLY important because, again, if you mess it up you can fall over :p
    - for me, my left kicks are still significantly lower than my right kicks, so I just decided to start practicing twice as much with my left kicks. If there's a serious disparity in height from right to left, you may want to try the same.
    - as for stretching, I've always been a pretty flexible guy, did gymnastics as a kid and so on, but the only thing that seemed to get my head kicks going any higher was just doing the damn kicks. Your mileage may vary and obviously stretching is a good thing, but it seems like just working on form and throwing the kick was what really did it for me.

Also, you don't go up on your toes and lean back before you kick, you lift up and lean back a little AS you throw the kick. My understanding is that (if done properly) this motion is part of the kick, and it shouldn't telegraph any because by then your leg is already moving towards them. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

16. 72Chambers

72Chambers Blue Belt

Dynamic stretching pre-workout and static stretching post-workout, reason being static stretching will stretch your tendons and muscles in a way that takes away some of their elasticity and ultimately affecting power.

17. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

Guess I'm also in that 0.1 percentile too. Naturally flexible in the groin, walked into my first thai class able to get my leg up to head height no problems.

18. Mike32110

Mike32110 White Belt

Just stretch the groin, use a variety of different stretches for the groin, and do it as often as you can. Sign up for a yoga class, at the very least you'll stare at a hot girls ass wearing yoga pants for 60 minutes (kidding, if I offended any women :p). Flexibility can come a lot faster than you think. A good one I find is to get a buddy to kneel down, and put one of your legs on his shoulder, then have him slowly go higher and higher. Before you know it, buddy will be on his tip toes and you won't even flinch.

I always did groin stretches when I worked out and was immediatly able to kick to the head with ease when i began MT, regardless of how tall they are. It will come with time like everything else.

19. Logan M

Logan M Purple Belt

Head height being what? The higher you can kick the more power you can get into the kick. I started out being about to kick someone about 5'10" in the chin. Now that I can get up to around 6'8" that kick to 5'10" is a lot easier, faster, and carries far more power.

20. chaospfa

chaospfa Blue Belt

Hip mobility is key. Lateral squat and splits.