Trying to lose weight; have constraints

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by SD23, Oct 25, 2010.

1. SD23

SD23 White Belt

Hello, first time poster but I've been visiting sherdog for years. Anyways I'm about 6'0 210 lbs. I want to drop like 40 pounds. I've been overweight for like 7 years now.

Anyway, my main restraint is I don't currently have a job so I only have about a $250 budget. A friend of mine told me to get the GNC protein supplement to replace a meal and to help me recover after a workout so I'm not sore.

Also I wanted to get a pair of dumbells from Sports Authority but I was wondering if I'd be able to work out the entire body with those? Doing some basic research online I saw that a lot of workouts require different tools. Given my budget I was hoping to find multiple workouts I can do with just those and maybe a pull up bar.

I'm not a gym person or anything so I don't know the different workouts I can do, but I am seriously trying to lose weight and get fit. If anyone can help me with some workouts I would be very appreciative. Please consider the budget, it's all I have to work on at the moment.

Thank you!

Edit: Also, I bought a basketball to play on my court that I've had since 7th grade if that is of any significance.

2. GoldryBluzco

GoldryBluzco Orange Belt

What you want is a kettlebell. Check out dragondoor -- those are good ones. A 1 pood, 35 lb kettlebell will give you great strength training and also endurance training. As you progress, you can move up to bigger bells. It is a bit like a cannonball with a handle. You stand in one spot and swing it around. Excellent for those with little $ because you can do it in your home on a rainy day.

3. GoldryBluzco

GoldryBluzco Orange Belt

A book with kettlebell workouts is: The Russian Kettlebell Challenge.

I would also supplement the KB training with two things:

1. try to walk or bicycle as much as possible. go up and down stairs instead of using elevators, etc.

2. don't eat snacks, ever.

4. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

First of all, gnc protein is a ripoff, I would go elsewhere for a better value and/or product. I personally use trueprotein. Depending on where you are and what you have available to you, you could always use your local park equipment to get a good woprkout, if not a kettlebell is a good option.

5. SD23

SD23 White Belt

Thanks for the quick replies. Is the Kettlebell (I specifically looked at Dragondoor as suggested) only available through online order? Sorry I don't know much about where to get gym equipment.

Also GNC doesn't sell the trueprotein product and I don't know any other supplement stores? How does trueprotein differ?

Edit: Oh, Kettlebells are quite pricey

6. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

Trueprotein is a comapny that runs online at trueprotein.com (see my sig). They basically provide the same product as many companies except you get it more direct and don't have to pay for the added cost of going through a second comapny. You might look into the resistance bands with the door attachers....might not be as much (don't know for sure though)

7. Revok

Revok Brown Belt

OP: You do not need a fucking kettlebell. Christ, most gainfully employed people can't afford them.

Go to RossTraining.com and dig up some bodyweight workouts which you can do anywhere for free. When you're good at them, search Craigslist or Ebay for a cheap second hand barbell and plates you can use to get stronger.

Get some decent running shoes (or run on grass) and work out an easy jogging schedule to develop your aerobic base.

Read the D&S FAQ to fix your diet and see what supplements you need (tip: hardly any). Getting leaner is not something that requires money.

8. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

You're posting in the right forum - this is primarily a dietary issue.

However, this tells me that you don't really understand what you are doing. You don't need supplements at this point (though they can be helpful depending on exactly how you have elected to lose fat). You need to eat less food. Aside from the fact that you may have to pick healthier foods (potentially costing more), the idea that you are eating less food should save you money.

I'm not sure where the $250 budget comes into play. Is that your supplement budget? Your budget to buy equipment? That should translate into nearly a year of gym membership in many places.

As above, your budget would allow you to join a gym and do real workouts.

I'm not sure how you define "get fit", but if it's "get strong" (which will help you with your fat loss goals), read this:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/strength-power-faq-v2-0-a-1339105/

9. SD23

SD23 White Belt

Thanks for the additional information. The $250 is primarily the remaining spending money I have. It isn't for any specific thing but its all I have to spend on everything. I am working on eating smaller portions as well. Running shoes is on my list of things to get so that will bite pretty deep into my spending amount. I am posting on my phone currently so I will check the links once I get home. Thanks once again.

10. scottm

scottm Green Belt

Making the RIGHT food choices is the most important thing you can do at this point.

I.E. lowering your simple carb (or overall carb) intake and increasing healthy fats.

Lots of threads about dietary choices in here and the faq's. Might help if you post your current intake of food.

Get out and move, some good suggestions were already made here.
    You can run to a park and do body weight exercises on the jungle gyms, pushups, situps, pullups, chinups - circuit style in between running ...

11. SD23

SD23 White Belt

I can do that, although embarassingly. During my college life I've been doing a lot of drinking, which I'm cutting out. I was drinking beer quite heavily for a while. I'm also snacking a lot which I'm working on cutting down if not out. I ate a shit ton of chips, candy, junk food. I drank a ton of soda (which I'm trying to replace although I hear juice has comparable amounts of sugar). I don't have a variety of things I know how to cook so when I moved away from home I ate a lot of fast food.

In a nutshell, I've probably eaten the worst of the worst, and I want to change my life entirely. Since graduating from college my apartment lease expired so I quit my job and moved home. Currently I'm looking for a new job but in the meantime I'm at home and want to get out and be more active. My mom does the cooking (which is nice since I've been living away from home for 5 years) and I'm just cutting down on how much I eat from her cooking.

12. Wang Fu

Wang Fu White Belt

Right on here...

Weight Loss: To get to 170lbs, you should be eating 2,040 calories a day. You need to train your metabolism to speed up after being overweight for that many years. 5 meals, 400 calories a piece. You shouldn't be eating more than 400 calories at a sitting PERIOD. Stay away from shitty drinks like soda, juices, etc. Sugar is your enemy. Try to stay under 50 grams a day. Eat things like fruit instead of drinking juice. Eat as many freaking greens as you can shove down your throat!

"Get fit" is strength and conditioning. Like he said above, you do not need to buy anything. Watch this video (link below), go to a playground and play with your muscles... After you build your base, go to a gym or invest in equipment.
    YouTube - Play time...

You only need to work out 3-5 times a week depending on how fast you want to burn your fat. The calorie control alone will take a lot off as well. It sucks for a few weeks changing your diet, but your brain adapts to the sugar urges after a few weeks. Control your own will.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  13. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

Instead of snacking eat a bunch of small meals. Find your daily calorie requirement, cut out junk food, lift weights, run.

14. Byron Pechorin

Byron Pechorin Top Level Human

Just run/do pushups/drink more water/don't eat junk.

15. scottm

scottm Green Belt

and spend some of your money on fish oil

16. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

Listen to this man.

17. Aaron Perls

Aaron Perls Green Belt Professional Fighter

Don't fixate on weight.

Get into shape - i.e. be able to do what you what to do with the speed and intensity you want to do it - or - decide you like the way you look in the mirror. Either way.

Setting a goal of losing 40 pounds is pointless. At 6' 205 you're not overweight. You might be out of shape, or skinny-fat, but the weight isn't the problem. If you lose 40 pounds you'll look like a twig. Body composition is the key. Get your B/F % down and your lean body mass up, and see where you end up falling.

18. SD23

SD23 White Belt

You're probably right. I guess I should say I am out of shape/fat.

19. Strykerx

Strykerx Green Belt

If you live in the United States, then I strongly recommend applying for Food Stamps. A lot of college kids are doing it and qualifying. I don't make a lot of money myself and with the way the economy is it's really tough finding a 2nd job. Ever since I received foodstamps I've been able to eat high quality healthy food, as well as get back on track to training.

There are plenty of resources in the FAQ, and numerous threads on here. If you can like other posters have mention monitor your daily intake of food. Cut out the junk, lower the carbs, increase your meat and fat consumption. It's very difficult but you just have to change your lifestyle.