1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Trying to gain weight (18yrs old)

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by ireap, Sep 8, 2010.

1. ireap Blue Belt

This Friday will be my 4th week working out. In a month's span, I've been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week for a hour of solid weightlifting.

I've been strictly following Cytosport CytoGainer and its directions (3 servings a day, 4 scoops per serving).

My start weight was 146, now I am at 153.

My questions:
    -Am I on the right track? Do I need to make any adjustments in terms of times/hours of weightlifting
    -I've looked around in other forums and noticed people only using CytoGainer two times a day. For my needs (goal is to hit 165 clean), should I continue with the intended directions or ?
    -Is a 7 pound gain in a month good or bad?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. pliftkl Green Belt

As a beginner, you should be doing the Starting Strength workout exactly as written, not "hitting the gym 4-5 times a week for an hour of solid weightlifting". I can't emphasize this enough. I was once where you are now (about 20 years ago!) and really wish someone had beaten Starting Strength into me then so that I could have avoided years of inefficient effort.

If you are gaining 7 pounds in a month, then you should keep doing what you are doing until it stops working (though I suspect that will be sometime this month). Bear in mind that some of those gains are probably simply water retention associated with your muscles deciding that you are exercising enough that they should store more glycogen.

Are you lactose tolerant? Have you researched GOMAD? It's probably cheaper than the 12 scoops a day of Cytogainer, and you will probably gain more muscle.

3. ireap Blue Belt

Yeah, I agree with you. I was getting the feeling earlier that maybe 4-5 times a week isn't that good. For my second month, I will try out 3 times.

Also, about GOMAD. I haven't really looked into this, but doesn't a gallon of milk a day seem excessive? You know, as my mother used to say, everything in moderation.

Has anyone tried Cytosport CytoGainer? What do you think, follow directions or 2 servings enough?

4. pliftkl Green Belt

Pick the right three workouts to do. Starting Strength is a cheap book relative to what you will gain by reading it. Similar 3 day workouts are described in the FAQ. Focus on getting strong, and the size gains will follow.

Yes, a gallon of milk is excessive. That's it's main purpose. It leaves no ambiguity whatsoever about "Did you get enough calories and protein today". You'll put on some fat, but you will also be able to improve your lifts for longer in a linear fashion than someone who doesn't drink the milk. The improving lifts will drive improving mass gains. You are perfectly suited for a massive surge in size and strength fueled by milk. I'd seize that opportunity and hang on to it for as long as you can. Your friends won't believe that you aren't on steroids. Next year you can come back to us and say "Hey, I'm 220 pounds. I think I need to cut 20. Anybody have any advice?"

I've never used it. I googled it. Your main goal is to eat more food. Given a choice between 2 servings and 3, the correct answer is 3. But it would be preferable for you to eat real food instead. Or drink Milk.

5. ireap Blue Belt

Thanks for your help buddy!

6. IDRISCKY Purple Belt

You think a gallon of milk(whole food) is excessive. But 3-2 servings of 4 scoops each of CytoGainer(a supplement, most likely far more expensive than milk, and most likely total crap) is perfectly normal?

7. XTrainer Red Belt

LOL. Truth.

8. XTrainer Red Belt

It's hard to know if you're "on the right track" with so little information, but the fact you're asking the questions you're asking here suggests that you don't really know what you're doing. Sounds like you need to read the FAQs in here and in S&C.