trying to find a better way to match gi sizes to body types

GFG

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
i just created this page yesterday, and i think i'm going to add some detailed pictures and a video so people are on the same page when sending in their measurements.

BJJ Gi Fitting Assistance

Just wanted to get your feedback and see if there is anything i missed or should of added to make it work better

Mike - Gorilla Fight Gear

Last edited:
It looks good I would just add a letter next to each measurement that corresponds to the description. For example "A" Cuff to Cuff, "B" Sleeve Width at Cuff, etc... I would also add an inseam measurement.

The only other thing I noticed is you spelled too wrong underneath "How did this Jacket Feel"
Too Baggy
Too Tight
Sleeves to short
Sleeves to Long
Skirt to long
Skirt to short

Very good Mike, this is the way forward for gi companies.
But I have a question:
1. Do you have lots of in-between sizes - is this how is works?
2. Or do you effectively tailor fit (from stock models) to each individual eg cuff lengths, jacket height, trouser lengths etc?

I can imagine this would be very labour intensive, but it is feasible and what us customers have been asking for. Only Fushida and possibly Red Star Kimonos offer this service. Would be interesting to know what you can offer to match these guys or better their service.

originally i wanted to do this because i was sick of shipping gis out that should fit a specific individual based on his/her height and weight, then absorbing the shipping to exchange it as i'm almost stupid about making sure my customers are happy. so originally i just wanted a way that they can better see how our gis match up.

So now i can mix and match if i need to fit someone better.

i'm kinda curious about what kind of alterations fushida and redstar do to their gis and do you have to pay extra for them? cause that is something i can consider as well

Fushida has in between sizes to choose from. Extended sizes really. You give them your measurement and they see which of their gi size fits you the best. They do not tailor a gi to your personal specification.

The last Gi I bought to review had a similar process - Jesse @ Killer Bee asked me to pull out my measure and check my seam/arm etc length to make sure I was getting what I needed.

Saved me from getting pants that I'd be swimming in!

I'll have to check one of your Gis out for a review some time! Always good to see people OCD about taking care of their customers!

yeah i will have a slim and beefy size from A1 to A5 in our new black silverback bjj gis shortly more sizes more problems :) and i can look into hemming the gis but i would have to shrink them completely before hemming them to the persons specified length which can become time consuming.

yeah i will have a slim and beefy size from A1 to A5 in our new black silverback bjj gis shortly more sizes more problems :) and i can look into hemming the gis but i would have to shrink them completely before hemming them to the persons specified length which can become time consuming.

I hem my own, I don't expect something to be tailor made over the internet. The overall fit and quality are my main concerns

plus i think its could be a $5-10 job if you have to get it done

fyi - typo

White BJJ Belt included which means you safe $15

thanks guys i have a horrible habit of not proofreading anything i write, sometimes i post on a forum and come back a few hours later just to be horrified at what i posted.

back to the sizing thing
You know i was looking at different websites to see how they deal with sizing issues the only real sites were women's fashion sites and they would break down a woman's body type into too many (which made me wonder about these one style gis that are specifically cut for for women), but one thing did make some sense as i ran into this issue fitting one person as he was 5'10" 340lbs (apple shape) and i couldn't fit him in our biggest gi i even had a size 8 (A6) gi brought in hoping that would solve everything however that didn't fit. While the same week i have another guy of a approximately the same height and weight but more of a pear shaped body type, he was happy with the size 7 (A5) gi, it was tight but he was satisfied.

do you think i should add a few body measurements to the chart to help deal with this, in reality it would be more of a creating a database of people/size, so then i can create a second page for people that don't have gis to send in measurements. they just have to send in their body measurements and i can do the rest based on the database info i've collected

apologies if this was already suggested, i didn't read through the whole thread:

why not just include measurements of your gis, and allow for mixed pant and jacket sizes? include sleeve length, jacket length and width, sleeve width (at cuff) and similar pant measurements for each size. this way ppl can compare to their current gis and get a sense for how they'll fit. seems a lot easier than having folks send in their measurements.

honestly i don't understand why gi companies haven't done this already! i think it'd make ordering SO much easier!

cheers!

apologies if this was already suggested, i didn't read through the whole thread:

why not just include measurements of your gis, and allow for mixed pant and jacket sizes? include sleeve length, jacket length and width, sleeve width (at cuff) and similar pant measurements for each size. this way ppl can compare to their current gis and get a sense for how they'll fit. seems a lot easier than having folks send in their measurements.

honestly i don't understand why gi companies haven't done this already! i think it'd make ordering SO much easier!

cheers!

bad marketing strategy. Companies want to create a one size fits all gi so they can try and cater to everyone to bring in the most profit. It may or may not fit right but you won't know until you buy it. By then it's too late. If they reveal the measurements then it could potentially turn a lot of people away who do not prefer the specs of that particular gi. Good thing we have people reviewing gi's on forums but to the masses out there they have no clue as to how it will fit and will just go by the broad fitting chart given.

i think that stuff is top secret. i tried i while back getting some numbers off a few companies just for the hell of it and it was like pulling teeth. thank god for forums like this my database of competitors gis are growing each and every time a new review pops up

good point from both of you i'm making new size charts right now for all my gis so i'll just add more measurements, and if people still have issues they can pull out their measuring tapes and send me an email

man doing the new size charts is going to be a 40hr project

Last edited:
thank god for forums like this my database of competitors gis are growing each and every time a new review pops up

Wow, and I thought my gi reviews were written to help my fellow BJJ brothers and sisters with choosing a gi to buy, not to feed the database of a rival gi company. How deluded and naiive I am. I shall cease writing gi reviews forthwith.

Wow, and I thought my gi reviews were written to help my fellow BJJ brothers and sisters with choosing a gi to buy, not to feed the database of a rival gi company. How deluded and naiive I am. I shall cease writing gi reviews forthwith.

i don't think you could, even if you wanted to. your a gi addict remember lol

mike @ Gorilla Fight Gear

Last edited:
i don't think you could, even if you wanted to. your a gi addict remember lol

mike @ Gorilla Fight Gear

You're right dammit!
It's all public domain info once I publish anyway so go ahead, build up that awesome database. But don't forget the little guy when you go global LOL!

bad marketing strategy. Companies want to create a one size fits all gi so they can try and cater to everyone to bring in the most profit. It may or may not fit right but you won't know until you buy it. By then it's too late. If they reveal the measurements then it could potentially turn a lot of people away who do not prefer the specs of that particular gi. Good thing we have people reviewing gi's on forums but to the masses out there they have no clue as to how it will fit and will just go by the broad fitting chart given.

maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. providing as much information about your product as possible takes the guesswork out, draws interest and reduces returns and restocking. i mean, just look at how the sizing policy has worked out for fushida! i really believe that the more effort you make to get folks a proper fitting gi, the larger customer base you'll earn.

also, GFG: i didn't mean to post info about *other* gi measurements, just your own! that info should be readily accessible to you since you're the one developing the prototypes! =) instead of trying to figure out what height and weight range would fit into each size (which is rarely definitive anyway), wouldn't measurements be so much more efficient? again, i've never had to do this before so i could be missing something major.

i'm guessing companies don't do this because they don't care, are lazy, or don't think it'll matter since the practice isn't an industry standard. but if a small company innovates in a way people really like and respond to, it'll gain momentum. i think fushida and syr are excellent examples.

cheers!

p.s. strikes me as kinda bizarre that companies would be so secretive about their measurments, when anyone who orders one can just bust out a measuring tape, ya know? what wankers!

maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. providing as much information about your product as possible takes the guesswork out, draws interest and reduces returns and restocking. i mean, just look at how the sizing policy has worked out for fushida! i really believe that the more effort you make to get folks a proper fitting gi, the larger customer base you'll earn.

also, GFG: i didn't mean to post info about *other* gi measurements, just your own! that info should be readily accessible to you since you're the one developing the prototypes! =) instead of trying to figure out what height and weight range would fit into each size (which is rarely definitive anyway), wouldn't measurements be so much more efficient? again, i've never had to do this before so i could be missing something major.

i'm guessing companies don't do this because they don't care, are lazy, or don't think it'll matter since the practice isn't an industry standard. but if a small company innovates in a way people really like and respond to, it'll gain momentum. i think fushida and syr are excellent examples.

cheers!

p.s. strikes me as kinda bizarre that companies would be so secretive about their measurments, when anyone who orders one can just bust out a measuring tape, ya know? what wankers!

I see your point it does make a lot of sense for the consumers to have that information. Large companies have the measurements yet they refuse to let the consumers know what they are and there must be a reason for this. I feel they are using that guesswork to their advantage to appeal to a greater audience by not excluding certain body types due to the gi dimensions.

One of Fushida's main appeal is the fact that they are the only company that I know of that takes your measurements and analyzes how it will fit your body type. They are the only one doing it for jiu jitsu gi's so they have this competitive edge for now. In judo it is a bit more common I believe.

I really like how Fushida operates and they make a darn good product. I hope for the consumer's sake that more companies learn from this caring company.

Back