Trying Harder in College

Monday:
Worked up to 319 for double.
Felt kinda awkward for some reason. Not hard, just awkward. Im still figureing out my deadlift form. Dave Tate says shoulder BEHIND the bar, for for me, it seems impossible unless im set up sumo.

Pin Squats from DL start position:
295x2
365x2
385x2

Reverse Hyper:
45kg *6
55kg *6 Front Hip hurting like a bitch (more on this later)
45kg *6

All not too difficult.
BUT then i found out that my string for my pants was knotted and sandwiched between me and the pad. That was the cause of the pain. FUUUUUUUUU

Hip Circuit

Tuesday:
Solid Bench day:
Bench: 95*10 115*5 135*3
Start Command singles: 145*1 160*1

2Board press: 155*3 165*3 170*2 + 1fail

Decline: 135*3 145*3 (HARD)
Then I switched grip. I normally HATE benching with thumb around grip, Im a suicide grip guy, but my coach wants me benching with my thumb around. These started to hurt my shoulder, so I switched my grip. EPIC WIN.
145*3 EASY AS HELL

Seated Chest Press: I really dont like this machine, it hurts my shoulders a bit in the later sets
150*5 150*5 160*3

Some fly-like movements on the pneumatic kaiser machine

Abs Circuit.

Also, anyone else from U of I?

Holy crap! You're an Illini?

I have both BS and MS from UI, and I actually grew up in Champaign Urbana.

I miss IMPE. If they are open while I'm there over Christmas, I'll be going back for a nostalgic lift. Where do you lift?

Holy crap! You're an Illini?

I have both BS and MS from UI, and I actually grew up in Champaign Urbana.

I miss IMPE. If they are open while I'm there over Christmas, I'll be going back for a nostalgic lift. Where do you lift?

I dont think IMPE exists anymore, its CRCE and the ARC. The ARC is the new IMPE

The ARC is really nice. Unfortunately only 3 racks and 2 plateforms, but they have a whole bunch of nice elieko kg plates and these sweet pheumatic kaiser machine things. But they allow chalk, and if you although its not allowed, I personally havent seen the workers bitch about olympic lifts.

Nice to see U of I alum!!! When will you be hear? Finals for me end on the 17th, but i dont mind staying an extra day or two to lift if my dorm allows.

Friday:
Squat:
Bar x10
95 x 5
135 x 3
225 x 1
235 x 1
Start Command Singles
245 x1
260x1

Squats were cake.

Good Mornings:
115x5
135x6
135x6

Box Squat:
245 x3
245 x3
245 x3

Hips: Side raises with 15lb on air-cable machine

Abs circuit

Deadlift Light day, intersquad meet on Sat

Worked up to 275x3
No belt, focused on speed

Lat pull downs and cable row with light weight for 2 sets of 8 each

Abs circuit

Nice to see U of I alum!!! When will you be hear? Finals for me end on the 17th, but i dont mind staying an extra day or two to lift if my dorm allows.

I'm not in until the 21st. If you are in the dorms, then you'll probably be around for a few years. I'm usually back in CU to see family a couple times a year, and I'll catch you at some point during the school year.

Good luck on Saturday. Any idea what your attempts are going to be?

Good luck on Saturday. Any idea what your attempts are going to be?

Here are my openers:
Squat: 110 kg Bench: 65 kg Deadlift: 145 kg
All my openers are weights that I can confidently get for at least 3 reps. Squat and deadlift are more like 5+ reps.

My goals:
Squat: 128kg (~282lb) Probably 122.5kg second attempt.

Deadlift: Ill feel this one out as I go. Im starting really low here because I recently pulled a muscle in my back. 145kg is almost like an 8 rep weight. Ill might go up to 165kg, but that'll be the highest I'll go. Also, I've already gotten 165kg, but form wasn't great.

Bench: 160lb was a Max last week. I want to hit 165 lbs. Ill do 160 as second attempt. (we use lb plates for these)

Thank everyone!

Yesterday: light bench day + shoulder health

Bench: 95*5 95*5 115*3

Front DB raises: 2 sets of 10 with 12.5lbs
DB Lat Raises: 2 sets 10 with 10lbs
DB 45 degree raises 2 sets of 10 with 10lbs
DB Speed OHP: 2 sets of 6 with 25lbs

Woke up today, Serratus is sore. WTF? COOL :D

Meet Results:

Squat:
110- good 117.5- good 125- good

Bench:
65- good 70- good 75- miss
70kg was smooth, but 75 was just too much.

Deadlifts:
140- good 155- good 157.5- miss
155: fucking grinder.
157.5: There was no way in hell i was going to break this off the floor. So I thought "fuck it" might as well try it sumo.

Videos coming tomorrow, after more editing.

Write-up:

3 Lifts in 1 day is A LOT more tiring than I thought it would be.
Squats went great, by the third attempt of bench, I was tired. By the time deadlift came around, my back was pretty damn gassed. Benching seems to tire out my low back a lot because I arch a lot.

Intra-squad was 11 Lifters in about 3 hours.

Vids of my lifts and everyone's lifts coming tomorrow, editing videos is a bitch.

kg or pounds. Pick either one, but don't use both in the same log. :)

Congrats on your first meet.

Very nice, your total in comp is the same as your total in Sherdog Strongest Man thread.
Congrats.

The meets is in kg.

Its weird because we use both KG plates during meets and for certain exercises. And we arent allowed to use lb plates on the platform. Ill just convert everything to kg.

I must have missed you saying you were doing a meet. Congrats on the performance! I'm looking forward to the videos.

youtube hates me and wont let me upload the bench vid (vids are about 800mb each, 720p)....
Heres the squat portion

Our big equipped guys didn't lift in the intra-squad, so no 600+ deadlifts that day.

Bench vid is made, failed upload twice, re-trying.
I still have to make the deadlift video. apparently I have 333380 min left to wait for the video to upload .... -_-

Last edited:
youtube hates me and wont let me upload the bench vid (vids are about 800mb each, 720p)....
Heres the squat portion

Thanks for posting that. I know that this was a high effort for you, but you need to watch your knees. If you look at your 125kg lift, you can watch as the knees drive in, and then back out. Compare the knee motion as you drop vs when you are coming back up.

Thanks for posting that. I know that this was a high effort for you, but you need to watch your knees. If you look at your 125kg lift, you can watch as the knees drive in, and then back out. Compare the knee motion as you drop vs when you are coming back up.

Thats something Ive been working on, Ive been doing a lot of lateral hip raises w/ cable machine. Is there anything else I should do (besides actively trying to force knees out) to help?

Todays workout:
Deadlift:
135kg x3
135kg x1 sumo
145kg x2
145kg x3 sumo
150kg x1

Snatch grip deadlifts:
75kg x3
95kg x3
95kg x3
100kg x3