Try to define 'fake news'.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by JDragon, Dec 20, 2016.

1. JDragon

JDragon #StayTheFuckHome Platinum Member

I know the vast majority of the War Room does not buy the fake news narrative, but let's try to do 'their' job just for the lulz.

I lean liberal on most issues, and I have gotten angry more than once when I had to debunk Daily Mail articles that contained lies and omissions to fit a certain narrative. There is no doubt that some media sources are better than others. And yes, I believe there are outlets that produce fake news.

But I failed hard trying to come up with a definition for 'fake news' that could work. For example, what about Iraq's missiles that were supposed to be able to reach Europe in 45 minutes? What about Iraqi WMD? What about the regrettable false translation that Iran wanted to wipe Israel from the map?

We don't need to combat fake news as much as we need to teach people to critically consume media instead of believing everything they read just because their preferred outlet or one of similar leaning has produced it.

pinger, scoopj, Dalarna3 and 12 others like this.
  2. Gazwald

Gazwald Banned Banned

What every mainstream news source in the history of the world reports on when it's a slow news day.

Fluffernutter likes this.
  3. Thurisaz

Thurisaz He is risen Banned

Definition: any news from outside of the MSM narrative, whether factual or not. No MSM article is fake news, fraudulent or not.

Dalarna3, HuMz and mike sherry like this.
  4. WiolentOne

WiolentOne Banned Banned

The issue is that it doesn't even necessarily need to be totally fake to have profound consequences. Its the vocabulary used in the title, the selective or out of context quotes, the ommisions, the one sided stories, the selective reporting of the same topic over and over - all of which can help form an intended narrative and effect.

This is basic chomsky shit.

Msm is guilty of it all they just tend to be more subtle - to the untrained eye - with it in some ways than others. Although there are definitely many instances where they do go full ham.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    NelmarksGhost and Kafir-kun like this.
  5. Hungry Joe

Hungry Joe Green Belt

This is the key. People who are truly interested in what's going on should get thier news from multiple sources. I can get news from sources I don't necessarily trust if I understand thier motives and how they are likely to bend the story.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  6. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think this is where additional terminology is needed. We've known for sometime it's hard to get a source that doesn't write the story itself leaning one way or another. I wouldn't call this fake but it has its own danger to it if you aren't cross checking with other sources.

I would have to think of a clear term for fake news but in general, it would be a story that is a complete fabrication.

7. Blackened

Blackened It is a new era! Double Yellow Card

They define it as essentially anything conservative.

I'd define it as "disinformation", which comes from mainly the MSM.

Big_Chief_Stove likes this.
  8. Higus

Higus Gold Belt

The term is effectively meaningless. Fringe media has pretty much defined MSM as fake news. Any attempt to discredit fake news by a mainstream source only reinforces the strength of the veracity of the fake news to its audience. It's a spiral of bullshit.

9. TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

Each individual is going to have to determine what news they think is real and credible at this point. There is no central authority that has jurisdiction over truth and reality.

10. PrinceOfPain

PrinceOfPain Silver Belt

You just know it's fake news when you read it.
    That's the problem.

Kafir-kun and Higus like this.
  11. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Silver Belt

Legitimate fake news, in my opinion, must be intentionally false, as in the creator did not hear a rumour, a half-truth or a piece of news somewhere, but completely made something up with the intention of generating income. For example, some guy who decides to make up a piece of news about a celebrity dying so that he can generate a few clicks on his website.

There are people who actually do this, but they are in the minority and they have been around for decades. Scammers and con-artists who are not concerned with representing even a hint of the truth.

The alt-media, to me, are not "fake news", as much as they are opinionated articles on newsworthy subjects. They should not be marketed as a neutral take on things, and for the most part, aren't. It's the mainstream news which often put a foot in their mouths because they attempt to present themselves as a neutral observer of the truth, and consistently keep failing to live up to their own standards.

12. Broken arrow

Broken arrow Purple Belt

13. Letssnuggle

Letssnuggle Purple Belt

Articles based on anonymous sources and/or innuendo.

I.e. "The Russians" did it.

14. Satsui Ryu

Satsui Ryu Black Belt

Anything that does not agree with your bias.

15. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

When I took journalism in college many years ago, we were taught to report by getting the who, what, where, when, and why, and to relay that to the reader/viewer/listener as succinctly and descriptively as possible without coloring that information with our opinion. Opinion didn't have a place in news. Opinion was for the editorial page.

What passes for current "news" bears little resemblance to this.

"Fake news" is at this point either just a redundant term due to the editorialization and slant that is embedded in most stories, or even worse, also factually inaccurate. So basically fiction, or propaganda. Stories meant to entertain, or grab attention just to generate revenue (clickbait) or meant to sway opinion.

Lord Commander Palis likes this.
  16. second sight

second sight We have officially entered the "Age of Deception"

"Hands Up Don't Shoot" or editing the tape in the Travon story to say...."he looks black"

Staph infection likes this.
  17. Lanx

Lanx 房仕龍 Double Yellow Card

Look Fake News is simple.

You have retard idiots who get 90% of their News from Facebook, a fucking aggregator of bullshit, with links from MSM in your news feeds, and then "smart advertising", where it is literally in someones best interest to make a clickbait title

"Breaking News:podesta is German for Pode-philia - Meriam and Webster"

18. TheStruggle

TheStruggle Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Any news that goes against the narrative corporate media outlets who work directly with our government want you to believe

19. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog Platinum Member

The term refers to shit that's actually made up, like Pizzagate, Soros paying rioters, the pope endorsing Trump, etc.--the kind of stuff you see in chain mails and on Facebook. Propagandists are trying to drain it of meaning by overusing it and using it to refer to anything that doesn't confirm their biases or any error in real news.

Thames, kpt018, aitkenmike and 5 others like this.
  20. JonnyRingo84

JonnyRingo84 Gold Belt

facebook and the like have openly claimed that there is a difference between fake news, and bad news.

fake news is intentionally false bs, just designed to get page hits. click bait.

bowened and Quipling like this.