Trump Reprisals Begin

Are we on the precipice of some form of fascism here in America?

• Total voters
I know exceptionalism isn’t what you want to hear, but America’s built in controls are an excellent buffer. The president has a max 8 year window, and refusal to step aside I think would be unacceptable to the majority. This is a good argument for term limits especially in the Senate, btw.

So, would the next potus and the next be able keep chipping away at our institutions without reprisal? Even a family dynasty? Seems very, very unlikely that the makeup of the house and senate would ever allow such a descent. But, given what we’ve seen from Trump, its a concern that deserves attention. I can’t imagine the power imbalances a second term with this sociopath will bring. I guess what I’m saying is, the “gunz are meant to protect us from our gubbmint” thread is that way, pal.
I like the response and that's generally how I feel about it too. But I have to question myself here. The power of impeachment (if the president's party controls any chamber) and the ability to investigate the leader of the party in charge are both essentially gone now. Power is quickly pooling in the executive branch. We're also approaching maximal partisanship. Most importantly, fact is completely meaningless when it challenges power. And only Democrats can stop fascism now.

The halfwits who see it but are more interested in stickin it to the libs in the short term and stacking the bench further are the people who think they'll just play out a revolution with their gun stockpiles should it go too far authoritarian for their liking.
I mean, we shouldn't assume the gun nuts are just pretending. I think that if we turned fascist at this moment, we could then look back at the time leading up to this moment, and it would be apparent how fascism happened.

I mean, we shouldn't assume the gun nuts are just pretending. I think that if we turned fascist at this moment, we could then look back at the time leading up to this moment, and it would be apparent how fascism happened.
Sure. But whether they are pretending or not is irrelevant. They are wannabes and should know their militia fantasies are a joke in practice.

I still have faith there are limits and frankly the military has old school American values too deeply ingrained in it to turn on the people.

Fascism and a real attempt at a coup of American values will meet with an abrupt end.

I like the response and that's generally how I feel about it too. But I have to question myself here. The power of impeachment (if the president's party controls any chamber) and the ability to investigate the leader of the party in charge are both essentially gone now. Power is quickly pooling in the executive branch. We're also approaching maximal partisanship. Most importantly, fact is completely meaningless when it challenges power. And only Democrats can stop fascism now.
Yeah, though I’d say it’s coagulating like a happy meal in one of Trump’s fat aortas. Tomato, tomahto.

I do worry about relying too much on our tendency to vote like a pendulum. But, while this presidency may have set a precedent for other unethical megalomaniacs, there hasn’t been a court ruling to support it. The next house investigation may just have to run things all the way up the flagpole to re-establish their constitutional duty of oversight. Pray to Crom the courts do the right thing, if not, we really are screwed I reckon.

I'm sure this has been reported but I want to focus on this part, something i have raised since Barr came into office with @panamaican amongst others about keeping watch over how Barr slowly but steadily will choke out all investigations in and around Trump and his associates by subtly adding 'controls' and putting people in place who can act as the bad man by pushing aside other offices who do not fall in line.

U.S. attorney in New York coordinating Ukraine investigations, Justice Department says

Richard Donoghue, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York, has been tasked with coordinating the Justice Department's handling of "several open matters" related to Ukraine, the department told lawmakers on Tuesday...

...the Brooklyn-based federal prosecutor had been assigned by Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen "to coordinate existing matters and to assess, investigate, and address any other matters relating to Ukraine, including the opening of any new investigations or the expansion of existing ones."

...a department-wide memorandum from the deputy attorney general dated January 17 that instructed all U.S. attorneys to notify and consult with Donoghue about any Ukraine-related investigation in order to "avoid duplication of efforts across offices." Any expansion of those investigations also requires the approval of both Rosen and Donoghue. According to the memo, "several" offices have already reached out to Donoghue in connection to Ukraine matters...

Back