Trump repeatedly asking if he can "preemptively" pardon himself

Signs and dramatic theater are to be expected regardless of the president. The left went nutty over George Bush Jr. (now they seem to love the guy). Where is the pictures of Burning, Looting and Murdering from the Right that left thinks is acceptable because Trump is president?
When it comes to who is more dangerous, a group of riled up right wing crazies or a group of left wing crazies, law enforcement says that white supremacist right wing crazies and various other right wing crazies are America's biggest domestic terrorism threat.

Going out for justice truth and the american way is making a mockery of democracy? I pity you and your morals cause it's obvious you have none just like trump. An innocent man wouldnt pardon themselves, a guilty man would.

Bizarre and unnecessary rant. You don't know shit about me so beat it.

I am not sure what he is afraid of.

Once he is out of office, the threats of imprisonment and the lawsuits will go away.

This is all just for show.

Once he is no longer in power (and just a loudmouth on Twitter) everyone will move on.

Once he is out of office, the threats of imprisonment and the lawsuits will go away.

Once he is no longer in power (and just a loudmouth on Twitter) everyone will move on.

Nah, he has reason to be afraid. Given how much he has destroyed faith in the government, the rule of law, and the basic reporting of facts, there is strong incentive, just as a matter of restoring order, to go after him for the crimes he's committed. It needs to be demonstrated that you can't use the White House as a piggy bank and abuse the presidency to obstruct justice for future presidents.

It's actually a tough situation. What to do about a departing president who was committing crimes in office. I think people don't want to prosecute because it leads to a big partisan headache, but on the other hand, you don't want the president to be above the law. Not sure where it'll land, really. Maybe he'll just flee the country or die soon, and people will be spared having to make the choice.

Nah, he has reason to be afraid. Given how much he has destroyed faith in the government, the rule of law, and the basic reporting of facts, there is strong incentive, just as a matter of restoring order, to go after him for the crimes he's committed. It needs to be demonstrated that you can't use the White House as a piggy bank and abuse the presidency to obstruct justice for future presidents.
I respectfully disagree.

I think the precedent this would establish would be too much for DC to handle.

I think the Wonks will simply want him to fade off into the sunset. They will ignore his rage tweets.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does what @Jack V Savage mentions. He will probably flee under the guise of being an international businessman. He will have to inspect those hotels and golf courses he is making overseas.

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2019/06/trump-foreign-business-interests/

Do mass shootings count?

Here's a mass shooter, James Hodgkinson:

hodgkinsonjamet.0.jpg

Also for his family. He's not only worried about existing investigations but the possibility of potential new investigations. He wants, basically, a get out of jail free card for life. Doesn't seem like something an innocent person would do, does it?

Trump is apparently so obsessed with the power of pardons that when his attention is focused on something senior-level officials want his mind off of, they bring up pardons. Like using a laser pointer with a cat, I guess.

Trump has previously let on that this is something on his mind, as he has tweeted that "I have the absolute right to PARDON myself" back in 2018.

As for whether or not he could actually do it, legal experts are divided, but there is an alternative that might prove more successful. "He could temporarily declare himself unable to perform his presidential duties, allowing the vice president to act as president, including by issuing him a pardon, and then the president could resume his duties as president, or resign."

Regardless, pardons will only protect Trump from federal crimes. Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance and New York Attorney General Letitia James have both been pursuing criminal charges against Trump related to his business practices.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/11/donald-trump-self-pardon
Opposing the establishment is a serious felony

I hope the lefties stop talking about Trump once he is out of office, but I have a feeling they will be obsessing over him long after he is gone.

Like the way Trump obsessed over Obama and Hillary? I don't see it. But who cares?

I think people are going to be much more interested in the future criminal investigations. Tax evasion, Campaign Finance Violations, Obstruction of Justice...taking the Mueller report out of mothballs... who knows? Should be fun.

Back