Trump proposes stronger libel laws, weaker first amendment

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Fawlty, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Fawlty

Fawlty Gay for Mayor Pete

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/26/media/donald-trump-libel-laws/index.html

Who's on board for America's version of the UK's shameful disrespect for free press? This is autocratic filth. His proposal is really to keep the stories out of the press that he doesn't want in them. It's easy to read between the lines with the donald. We can't afford to be giving up our liberty like this, and I hope any of his supporters who value free speech understand that he doesn't value it unless it is his own speech.

2. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

The laws are fine the way they are now.

RyanR likes this.
  3. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

If Trump makes it into office, there's just going to be tons of people disappointed that none of his ideas make it through Congress or the senate.

This election really feels like a lose/lose situation.

RyanR and KILL KILL like this.
  4. Fawlty

A republican sweep could certainly push this through. A conservative court would very possibly uphold it.

5. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

Trump seems to think he's going to be elected King not President. The President can't change laws, only congress can and to change the Constitution requires an amendment that would take several years to pass and ratify. Congress wouldn't pass such laws because they need to lie about their competition to get elected.

6. Fawlty

I'm not entirely convinced that libel laws are safe given a potential republican sweep. But in any case, I would advise caution about Trump since he's treading into areas against rights that many of his supporters feel are important.

7. VivaRevolution

VivaRevolution Whoopin' Belt Platinum Member

Screw Libel laws! How about enforcing anti-trust laws?

8. spin

spin Gold Belt Platinum Member

Just another example that he doesn't know what the powers of the president are and aren't.

9. Fawlty

If he has this low level of respect for the first amendment, it's a caution that he will severely abuse executive power, which has grown in recent years.

10. I'm on board. Germany and the UK are really a lot more progressive than the US with regards to hate speech. It's not giving up freedom it's protecting our people from hate and helping to stop the promotion of radical conspiracy theories and legit psycho hate speech. Now if only the UK would go after Imams for promoting hate speech instead of going after white Brits but that's another story.

11. Fawlty

As long as you don't live in the US. We don't need to be flirting with top down control of our media here. Our system is already dangerously close to that.

GearSolidMetal and Anung Un Rama like this.
  12. spin

Meh, he'll try.

I doubt he even really wants the job. He handles all the praise of running for office just fine, let's see him handle all the negativity and hatred they comes with being the president.

13. Fawlty

Come on.

14. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

This is a nice piece of primary pandering. Those damn liberal rags!!!!! Let's sue them into oblivion!!!!!! I'm more conservative RAWR!!!!!!

Trump's no dummy. He knows he has no chance in hell of changing anything since that libel protection comes straight from the Supreme Court and no President can do a thing about it.

But it keeps him in the papers so it's good campaigning.

SuperLuigi and cleetus like this.
  15. KONG-D'SNT-TAP

KONG-D'SNT-TAP Titanium Belt

But won't this hurt the party of liars, better known as the Republican Party.

Won't it work against them when they start lying about climate change.

This is hilarious

16. Fawlty

One of these little monstrosities is bound to bite him in the ass eventually .

No, really, I swear...I hope.

17. I do live in the USA. I also fail to see how stopping radical hate speech is a bad idea. Is it good to promote pedophilIa or hate of Christians or Jews? Should we allow Imams to spread lies.

That behavior can undermine our nation our security and ruin future generations of children. There is always a risk of totalitarian control the key is you can't live life in fear. It's either too little government and the fear that decentralized powers will tke over or exploit you or the fear that too much government will destroy you.

18. spin

He wants to win the race, but does he wasn't to do the heavy lifting for 4 years that comes after?

Stump for a new healthcare plan and other measures, react to a natural disaster or crisis, face relatives of those slain in mass shootings, send troops to their deaths. Do you really see trump having the stomach for these things?

19. SMEAC

SMEAC Walt Kowalski

Trump will push everything through just like Obama pushes through all the shit Rip makes up...

Winnie The Foo likes this.
  20. Fawlty

Easily, yeah. He loves the power. He'd be flying high for at least the first term.