Law Trump official: Statue of Liberty poem refers to Europeans

I do not deny that it played a part, but it is only one factor.

The unity of America, this sort of an awakening of a "American consciousness", during a time of struggle, played a big part, in my estimation. It disintegrated after the morally questionable Vietnam war. Income equality, crime rates, etc. went to shit, after America had stood as the golden standard for several decades, a pinnacle of human societal achievement.

My fathers and mothers, from Finland, lived during the era of America at its peak, and for a random youngster growing up in a god-forsaken place like Finland, everything in the world revolved around what Americans did. Whether they went to the moon, or discovered some new technology that blew people's minds, built new cars for people to drive around with. It was just a different atmosphere entirely which cannot be understood by subsequent generations.

What assumption am I making?

The assumption that I've made is that America probably won't automatically go to shit if they decrease the amount of immigrants coming in. They have had periods in time when the level of immigration was low, and they did well for themselves. Really well, in fact. Whether it was as a result of their immigration policy, or other things, is not necessarily my concern. The point is that America did not go to shit, just because it tightened its borders for a little bit.

You think those guys would've fought if they knew what they were fighting for?

The average dude in that time probably fought they were fighting against an invasion, without really thinking twice about it. They saw a bunch of guys coming in to take their shit, that's about it.

Anyway, I'm happy that you feel secure in the patriotism of your fellow Americans. One ought to remember that, before going on a tangent about their political foes being Nazis and white supremacists.

You're assuming that the rate of immigration is somehow tied to success or failure without actually providing any sort of evidence.

You're also ignoring what factors would cause a population to stay put or move.

You're ignoring a lot when you consider the complex nature of a system on the scale of the US government.

You'd make more sense if your argument was, immigration doesn't seem to matter one way or the other.

But if we use your logic, you'd then have to concede the greatest period of growth in American history wasn't actually 1940-70.. it was 1840-1880.. a period in which we had both a major domestic military conflict AND the largest spike in immigration we've ever experienced in relation to the total population of the country at the time.

You're assuming that the rate of immigration is somehow tied to success or failure without actually providing any sort of evidence.

What I've said is as an answer to claims that a lack of immigration could spell doom for America, or turn America into a racist country. In fact, America saw some of its greatest advancements to race relations, during that period of low immigration, so it doesn't play any part in it, obviously. One could make the argument that during periods of high immigration, problems of race/ethnicity become highlighted.

You're also ignoring what factors would cause a population to stay put or move.

How does this factor into any of the arguments that I've made in this thread?

You're ignoring a lot when you consider the complex nature of a system on the scale of the US government.

Pardon me for ignoring some of these "complexities" involved, when making a post on an internet forum that doesn't resemble a wall of text, which nobody would read.

You'd make more sense if your argument was, immigration doesn't seem to matter one way or the other.

I would not say that this argument makes any more sense. Immigration obviously matters, if we decided to emigrate a group of top-level scientists to one country, and a group of high-level prisoners to another country, we could probably easily see the differences that immigration could make.

My main point is that low immigration did not hold America back from being a great country to live in. It probably wouldn't do so, now. They already possess a 300+ million population, and all the tools to make use of it.

But if we use your logic, you'd then have to concede the greatest period of growth in American history wasn't actually 1940-70.. it was 1840-1880.. a period in which we had both a major domestic military conflict AND a the largest spike in immigration we've ever experienced in relation to the total population of the country at the time.

I did not make a point about the greatest period of growth, but rather, when America assumed its position as the most powerful country in the world. Obviously America saw its greatest growth during times when the country was established, that's fairly obvious. America went from a country of a few million, to a country of nearly 100 million, during the 19th century. Such growth should never even be attempted to replicate, because it's just no longer viable or necessary in any shape or form. We are comparing the foundation of a country, to maintaining it. One has to adopt a different measure when doing the latter.

America's "base" is already built, now it's just a matter of bringing in elements that will enhance what is already there.

You think those guys would've fought if they knew what they were fighting for?

The average dude in that time probably thought they were fighting against an invasion, without really thinking twice about it. They saw a bunch of guys coming in to take their shit, that's about it.

Anyway, I'm happy that you feel secure in the patriotism of your fellow Americans. One ought to remember that, before going on a tangent about their political foes being Nazis and white supremacists.

Once again you do not have any facts to back up your guess, and you just assume the worst about the ethnics and the best about the Caucasians. 'The ethnics had no loyalty to the US, they just fought for the US in WW 2 out of ignorance'. 'but look prior immigrant generations (white Europeans) they came together and fought out of new pride and joint nationalism'.

Pure garbage. Pure white nationalist spin.

If you want to criticize others for not being "smart enough" to argue a point, then you should mount a substantial argument of your own, instead of piggy-backing other people's posts, in absence of a mind of your own.

I know that it literally, physically hurts some of you people to see that America once had tight immigration policies, while still doing fine for itself. But it's just a matter of fact. That's how it went down in the mid-20th century, and there's no hiding away from it.

You can try to say that it was other factors that played a part in America's success, but at the end of the day, low immigration did not hinder America's success. That's undisputed, based on the results that America was putting up at the time.
You don't make intelligent arguments to worthy of all unique replies. You are a shell of the former guy spewing the white nationalist stuff and banned who at least showed some intelligence and could more veil his posts. as has been pointed out, you do not post facts. You cherry pick singular data points and apply the most biased and wrong stupid rational to them as you do not understand that Correlation does (not) equal causation.

The argument that 'look I have proof that periods of low immigration equal the best wealth drivers in America. Look at the growth in the USA as it came out of WW2' is one of either the purposely most deceptive or the most naive/dumb. You can choose which. But don't think for one moment everyone does not see what your goal is.

America's success coming out of WW2 was a result of being the wealthiest nation going into WW2 after decades of having its highest immigration numbers and enjoying big growth as a result. then as the War ended and America was amongst the victors, and still one of the richest while other nations were in shambles and far deeper impacted by the war, they basically had a clean playing field for themselves. Many of those immigrants they brought in prior were still in their prime working years and able to jump in and take up the massive new opportunities the US had post the war BECAUSE they were already in the USA.

To summarize : you don't have a clue about economics or what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Once again you do not have any facts to back up your guess, and you just assume the worst about the ethnics and the best about the Caucasians. 'The ethnics had no loyalty to the US, they just fought for the US in WW 2 out of ignorance'. 'but look prior immigrant generations (white Europeans) they came together and fought out of new pride and joint nationalism'.

Pure garbage. Pure white nationalist spin.

The fuck are you talking about? You were talking about slaves and the Civil War, and that's what I was responding to. Now you're bringing the argument about, to mean WW2? Talk about being a spin doctor.

If you think that a slave/ex-slave would intentionally fight to uphold slavery, without being significantly misled by the government that he is fighting for, you're out for lunch.

I already made the point that WW2 served as a unifying effort, as white men fought alongside black men, and these previously segregated groups grew to have a respect for one another's capabilities, a respect that previously may not have existed. It's not different from when Finns who fought on both sides of the Civil War, put their grievances aside and fought against the Soviet invasion.

You don't make intelligent arguments to worthy of all unique replies. You are a shell of the former guy spewing the white nationalist stuff and banned who at least showed some intelligence and could more veil his posts. as has been pointed out, you do not post facts. You cherry pick singular data points and apply the most biased and wrong stupid rational to them as you do not understand that Correlation does equal causation.

The argument that 'look I have proof that periods of low immigration equal the best wealth drivers in America. Look at the growth in the USA as it came out of WW2' is one of either the purposely most deceptive or the most naive/dumb. You can choose which. But don't think for one moment everyone does not see what your goal is.

Correlation does equal causation? I suppose you intended to mean that it doesn't. Obviously I know that. But it works both ways.

To say that WW2 was literally the only reason for America's growth, is as simplistic as any argument that I've put up in this thread, or even more so. At the very least, I only simplify my arguments to meet the level of intellect that is required here. If I wanted to craft bullet-proof arguments, believe me, I could. But that's not my intention. I enjoy the back-and-forths, and have no real agendas, certainly no "white supremacist" agenda, like you're alluding. I leave weak spots for people to poke holes at my arguments, because I can afford to.

What I do, is challenge people, and some people don't enjoy being challenged, you obviously belonging in that group, considering the "attack dog" stance you take every time that somebody says something that you don't agree with. You look for some sort of "ulterior motives" on part of the person you're disagreeing with, because you cannot confront the argument itself.

America's success coming out of WW2 was a result of being the wealthiest nation going into WW2 after decades of having its highest immigration numbers and enjoying big growth as a result. then as the War ended and America was amongst the victors, and still one of the richest while other nations were in shambles and far deeper impacted by the war, they basically had a clean playing field for themselves. Many of those immigrants they brought in prior were still in their prime working years and able to jump in and take up the massive new opportunities the US had post the war BECAUSE they were already in the USA.

To summarize : you don't have a clue about economics or what you are talking about.

In fact America was coming to WW2 off of a huge depression, which saw many regular citizens lose most of their wealth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

Soviet Union conquered an enormous amount of territory and resources during WW2, and was right up there with America as far as dictating world policy. Yet America prevailed over them, and it was not as a result of WW2, but their better, more pragmatic policies.

You may have missed the Cold War, but I didn't. I know just how powerful the "Big Brother" USSR was, during its peak. They had enormous productive capabilities, as well as a military that could blow over the entire Europe, if not for America. So they did not just have a "free lunch" when they assumed their rightful position as the most powerful country in the world at that time.

Last edited:
Listen, you gotta trust the Cooch. It's not like his name, Cuccinelli, is representative of a Southern European people whose immigration was strongly opposed by racists during the 19th and 20th centuries but whose entry was secured by the fact that the country's principle won out over the illiterate pants-shitting of morons.
I knew someone else would call him the cooch.

What I've said is as an answer to claims that a lack of immigration could spell doom for America, or turn America into a racist country. In fact, America saw some of its greatest advancements to race relations, during that period of low immigration, so it doesn't play any part in it, obviously. One could make the argument that during periods of high immigration, problems of race/ethnicity become highlighted.

How does this factor into any of the arguments that I've made in this thread?

Pardon me for ignoring some of these "complexities" involved, when making a post on an internet forum that doesn't resemble a wall of text, which nobody would read.

I would not say that this argument makes any more sense. Immigration obviously matters, if we decided to emigrate a group of top-level scientists to one country, and a group of high-level prisoners to another country, we could probably easily see the differences that immigration could make.

My main point is that low immigration did not hold America back from being a great country to live in. It probably wouldn't do so, now. They already possess a 300+ million population, and all the tools to make use of it.

I did not make a point about the greatest period of growth, but rather, when America assumed its position as the most powerful country in the world. Obviously America saw its greatest growth during times when the country was established, that's fairly obvious. America went from a country of a few million, to a country of nearly 100 million, during the 19th century. Such growth should never even be attempted to replicate, because it's just no longer viable or necessary in any shape or form. We are comparing the foundation of a country, to maintaining it. One has to adopt a different measure when doing the latter.

America's "base" is already built, now it's just a matter of bringing in elements that will enhance what is already there.

Your point doesn't make sense because you're consistently ignoring why immigration was low in the first place. Global depression, global war, recovery period, and a cold war that followed it all. All major reasons why international travel were down and outright restricted by nation states.

You're not even asking the question why immigration is low, you're just saying immigration was low therefore that's the reason for success.

I never said you said that it was the greatest period of growth, I was only demonstrating how your logic was flawed by using it against you.

A much more reasonable explanation to me would be that immigration is a sign of an abundance of opportunity, more jobs than workers, and a decline in immigration would indicate the opposite, more workers than jobs. In the post war period this make an incredible amount more sense to me considering the massive influx of returning GIs into the work force and the baby boom that followed.

Additionally, the factors outside of the country are even more impactful when determining immigration. Immigration to America historically from Europe wasn't just about opportunity, but the religious and political persecution those immigrants had to deal with in their home regions.

Nowhere did he suggest or imply that it only applies to European immigrants, and I noticed the TS is the kind of poster who swallows his propaganda whole without personal inspection. The exchange begins at 1:16
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...igration-rule-ken-cuccinelli-sot-ebof-vpx.cnn
Erin Burnett: The poem reads, "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" Wretched, poor, refuse, right? That's what the poem says America is supposed to stand for. So what do you think America stands for?"
Ken Cucinelli: Well, of course that poem was referring back to people coming from Europe where they had class-based societies where people were considered wretched if they weren't in the right class, and it was introduced, it was written one year-- one year-- after the first federal public charge rule was written that says, and I'll quote it, "Any person unable to take care of himself without becoming a public charge" would become inadmissible.

Here you can listen to the original, far superior 8:10 NPR interview that prompted the above, combative disaster:

In other words, the poem represented a rebellion against European values, and that's why it was principally referencing European immigrants (who made up the majority of immigrants at the time). He goes on to highlight that the plaque with the poem was added to the statue at almost the same time as the original public charge laws came into existence, and muses that this is "very interesting timing." Earlier in the interview, he pointed out that the reason the new rule was introduced was due to abject ineffectiveness in enforcement of a 1996 bipartisan law.

It's clear that news outlets can no longer be trusted to report the news faithfully or transparently, so I will link the actual White House press briefing for this:
Press Briefing by USCIS Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room
August 12, 2019
10:02 A.M. EDT

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Good morning. It’s a pleasure to be here with you today. I’m Ken Cuccinelli. I’m head of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. And President Trump has once again delivered on his promise to the American people to enforce longstanding immigration law.

Today, USCIS, the agency I head as part of the Department of Homeland Security, has issued a rule that encourages and ensures self-reliance and self-sufficiency for those seeking to come to, or to stay in, the United States. It will also help promote immigrant success in the United States as they seek opportunity here.

Throughout our history, self-reliance has been a core principle in America. The virtues of perseverance, hard work, and self-sufficiency laid the foundation of our nation and have defined generations of immigrants seeking opportunity in the United States.

Our current law, which is generations old, recognizes that some new arrivals to our country need the help of their family and community. It requires come of those, who seek to live and remain in the United States, to have a sponsor who will be financially responsible for them.

In the case of my own family, my Italian grandfather played this role, sponsoring two of his cousins, Mario and Silvio, to come to America. Once they arrived, my grandfather wanted to make sure his cousins spoke English — certainly well enough to work — and listed my father in that effort, as well, to make sure they could speak English well enough to work. And they did.

My family worked together to ensure that they could provide for their own needs, and they never expected the government to do it for them. And the same hardworking spirit shared by countless immigrants who’ve made the U.S. their home is central to our American identity.

This spirit has also been rooted for over a century — well over a century — in our immigration laws, going back to the 1800s.

Since 1996, the law has required foreign nationals to rely on their own capabilities and the resources of their families, sponsors, and private organizations in their communities to succeed. However, Congress has never defined the term “public charge” in the law, and that term hadn’t been clearly defined by regulation. Well, that is what changes today with this rule.

Through the public charge rule, President Trump’s administration is reinforcing the ideals of self-sufficiency and personal responsibility, ensuring that immigrants are able to support themselves and become successful here in America.

Our rule generally prevents aliens, who are likely to become a public charge, from coming to the United States or remaining here and getting a green card. Public charge is now defined in a way that ensures the law is meaningfully enforced and that those who are subject to it are self-sufficient.

Under the rule, a public charge in now defined as an individual who receives one or more designated public benefits for more than 12 months in the aggregate within any 36-month period. For instance, receipt of two different benefits in one month counts as two months.

A public charge in an admissibility determination is prospective and looks at whether an individual is likely, at any point in the future, to become a public charge as we define it in the regulation.

Public benefits are defined as federal, state and local, as well as tribal, cash assistance for income maintenance and small list of non-cash benefits.

Some examples of the public benefits that are part of the rule are general assistance, SSI, SNAP, most forms of Medicaid, and certain subsidized housing programs. Significantly, the rule does not consider many forms of government assistance that protect children and pregnant women’s health as public benefits.

Generally, this includes emergency medical assistance, disaster relief, national school lunch programs, WIC, CHIP, Medicaid received by people under the age of 21 or pregnant women, as well as foster care and adoption subsidies, student and mortgage loans, energy assistance, food pantries, homeless shelters, and Head Start.

It’s important to note this rule will apply prospectively only to applications and petitions received starting on October 15th of this year. Once this rule is implemented and effective on October 15th, USCIS Career Immigration Services Officers — what we call ISOs — will generally consider an alien’s current and past receipt of the designated public benefits while in the United States as a negative factor when examining applications. However, receipt of certain non-cash benefits received before October 15th will not be considered as a negative factor.

The underlying statute passed on a bipartisan basis also requires officers to assess, at a minimum, each applicant’s age, health, family status, assets, resources and financial status, and their education and skills, as well as other factors set forth in the rule in the totality of the circumstances. The totality of the circumstances means that officers will assess all of the evidence related to these factors, and no one factor alone will decide an applicant’s case.

Most of these factors are the ones Congress mandated us to review when considering immigration benefit applications. Under this final rule, USCIS will be able to objectively determine whether an applicant is likely at any time in the future to receive public benefits above the designated threshold.

Importantly, this final rule has no impact on humanitarian-based immigration programs for refugees and asylees. No impact on refugees or asylees. And it clarifies the exemption for trafficking victims and victims of domestic violence. Congress has long carved out exemptions for these categories. And our regulation adheres strictly to the laws as written.

The final rule also excludes from consideration public benefits received by certain members of the U.S. Armed Forces and their spouses and children, as well as Medicaid benefits for emergency medical services.

Lastly, under the final rule, USCIS can permit an applicant seeking a green card from inside the United States, who is inadmissible only on the public charge ground, to adjust their status to that of a legal permanent resident if they will post a public charge bond.

So, to conclude, I’d just note again that generations of immigrants have strengthened the foundation of our country and making positive contributions today, and we expect that to continue in the future.

Through faithful execution of our nation’s longstanding laws, President Trump’s public charge inadmissibility rule better ensures that immigrants are able to successfully support themselves as they seek opportunity here in America. Throughout our history, Americans and legal immigrants have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to pursue their dreams and the opportunity of this great nation.

As President Trump delivers on his promise to uphold the rule of law, this administration is promoting our shared history and encouraging the core values needed to make the American dream a reality. And with that, I’m happy to take some questions.

Yes, sir.

Q Thank you, Mr. Cuccinelli. As you know, the primary focus of this President throughout his presidency has been on illegal immigration. The focus of what you just outlined in this proposed rule is on legal immigration.

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Yes.

Q Why the change in focus?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: This is not a change in focus. This rule goes all the way back to executive orders from early in 2017. It’s been a long, arduous effort. If you take a look at the fully printed item, it’ll make “War and Peace” seem relatively short. It is very thorough in the first attempt to put into operational effect all of the different factors that Congress itself has said we’re supposed to consider when deciding admissibility or inadmissibility.

I would also note, as the head of the agency responsible for naturalizing citizens, the step after legal permanent residency for many people. Last year, we swore in more American citizens than the four years before it. And this year, I expect to see similar numbers again.

So we have not at all laid off of — in the Trump administration — processing properly legal immigration. I think what you’ve seen and heard is more discussion of illegal immigration, but we’ve been pressing ahead, and this rule is an example of that.

Yes, ma’am.

Q Is this rule change an admission from the administration that going through some sort of route to reform legal immigration by legislation is moot?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Absolutely not. Absolutely not. This is an implementation of a law passed by Congress in 1996 that has not been given meaningful effect. In 1999, some guidance was put in place with a presumption of rule. It followed — the rule never followed. And so today we’re issuing a rule, which, as I said, for the first time really puts meaningful meat on the bones of the 1996 law passed on a bipartisan basis.

This does not substitute — does not substitute for congressional action in other areas. For instance, asy- — I mentioned asylees are not covered by this rule. Asylum is a major subject of focus for us in my agency. And with the crisis at the border, we’ve been all but begging Congress to take action to close loopholes — some of them the same as the Obama administration. That has not happened.

So in this narrow area of our responsibility, we’re relying on congressional direction. And we’ve, as I said, put meat on the bones here, I think, today.

Yes, sir.

Q Thank you. I have two quick questions. First, I was wondering if you could give us an update on what’s happening with work permits for asylum seekers — people whose cases haven’t been adjudicated yet.

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: They’re being processed in the ordinary course of business. So —

Q Is regulation coming, though, to address this?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: We’re working on other things within the agency right now, but I’m not prepared to speak to where those may end up today. Sorry.

Yes, sir.

Q And my second question, if I may ask a second question —

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Oh, you did say two. All right.

Q There were recently workplace immigration raids. And of course, President Trump — his first prison commutation went to a man who was arrested after his business failed when about 400 illegal immigrants were arrested. Did that decision to grant a prison commutation to this man send the wrong message to employers?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: I’m not really prepared to speak to that. I don’t think so. The President does those one person at a time. I think what you saw ICE do this week — in enforcing the law meaningfully, with seven operations across the state of Mississippi and, of course, investigations still ongoing — criminal investigations growing out of that — is a growth for ICE from the previous year. Their enforcement efforts are up, and I think you can expect to see more of that as part of the message of this administration: We’re going to enforce the law.

Yes, sir.

Q I also have two questions. The first regards the concern that the public charge rule, as it’s going to be enforced, will have a chilling effect on people. For example, if a man has a citizen daughter who might be eligible for either nutritional or housing benefits, he might be afraid to apply for those benefits his daughter is due. How do you respond to that concern?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: That’s an excellent question. The receipt by a citizen in the household of public benefits will not affect the consideration for a particular alien, as a general matter. So the citizens in that household — again, in their receipt of public benefits — don’t affect consideration of an alien, as a general matter.

Q So you’re not concerned about a chilling effect?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: We — if you look at just the first page of this rule, you’ll see we start out by pointing out the things that are not covered. And we will have, on the USCIS website, now and forevermore, a clear listing of the two. So anyone who has any question about whether the receipt of a particular benefit would be considered in a consideration — for instance, if they applied for a green card — will be able to easily find that from our website.

And it is part of the message we’re broadcasting. It’s why I talk to you and listed so many of the items we don’t cover. I hope you all will cover that as well.

Yes, ma’am.

Q The second question I had regarded this idea — sorry.

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Yeah, all right. So, I’m new to this. This will be it for two questions. Then we’re going to go to one. But I said yes to you. Go ahead.

Q The second question has to do with the fact that, as long as the public charge rule has been in effect since the late 1800s, there have also been, almost as long, the words at the base of the Statue of Liberty that read, “Give us your tired, you poor…”

You’re implementing a public charge rule for the first time. Is that sentiment — “Give us your tired, your poor…” — still operative in the United States? Or should those words come down? Should the plaque come down off the Statue of Liberty?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Well, I’m certainly not prepared to take anything down off the Statue of Liberty.

We have a long history of being one of the most welcoming nations in the world on a lot of bases — whether you be an asylee, whether you be coming here to join your family, or immigrating yourself.

This rule will cover, for USCIS, almost 400,000 people a year whose applications to become legal permanent residents will include a meaningful analysis of whether they’re likely to become a public charge or not.

I do not think, by any means, we’re ready to take anything off the Statue of Liberty.

Yes, ma’am.

Q Could you elaborate a little bit on how big of an issue this is — how much this is costing U.S. taxpayers to have immigrants receiving benefits?

And also, there’s millions of Americans who accept public benefits, that have difficulty paying for healthcare on their own, for example. So why is that different for someone who is in this country legally, who is struggling to, you know, have certain needs met here as well?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: So, the benefit to taxpayers is a long-term benefit of seeking to ensure that our immigration system is bringing people to join us as American citizens, as legal permanent residents first, who can stand on their own two feet, who will not be reliant on the welfare system — especially in the age of the modern welfare state, which is so expansive and expensive, frankly.

So that is — that self-sufficiency that has been a central part of the American value set for so long is critical for us and for taxpayers going forward. That’s part of the motivation for a rule like this. It’s part of a benefit that goes all the way back 140 years. This rule, as I said earlier, simply puts meat on the bones of that consideration.

Q Is there any dollar amount you can give, though, about what does it cost to taxpayers?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: No, because the benefit for taxpayers is forward-looking. The costs we do, that you’ll see in this rule, are costs of implementation. They’re not the benefits in having more American citizens — 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the road — who are more self-sufficient and less dependent on the welfare state.

Yes, sir.

Q How much leeway will the case officers have when they’re seeing this? So, obviously, you said it’ll have a negative score.

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Yes.

Q It’ll have a negative impact on their application. But will the caseworkers still be able to say, you know, “John A., I know you took this benefit, but you will still be eligible for a green card”? Or is pretty much, you know, “Sorry, that’s just the rule”?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: No, that’s an excellent question. This is a totality of circumstances test. It means that the welfare benefits we’ve been talking about here are one factor. I listed the others that Congress has itself put in the statute — things like age, health. We basically rely, for health, on the legally required medical exam.

But it is career immigration services officers that are going to be making these decisions, and they’re going to have to weigh all these factors together.

The change under this rule is we’re finally giving guidance that brings all those factors together that really hasn’t been effectively done up until today.

Yes, ma’am.

Q How many refugees does the administration plan to admit in 2020? And also, are you considering eliminating the refugee program altogether?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: I can’t imagine anyone would ever consider eliminating the refugee program altogether, and Congress would have to do that anyway. The number for next year needs to be decided by the end of September by the President, and I don’t have any insight into what that number will be at this point in time. Sorry.

Q Just real quickly: You know, critics are saying this policy is unfairly targeting the lower-income immigrants. How do you respond to that?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Well, we certainly expect people of any income to be able to stand on their own two feet. And so, if people are not able to be self-sufficient, then this negative factor is going to bear very heavily against them in a decision about whether they’ll be able to become a legal permanent resident.

And a poor person can be prepared to be self-sufficient; many have been, through the history of this country. So let’s not look at that as the be-all and end-all. It’s not the deciding factor, which is why we continue to use the totality of circumstances test.

Yes, sir.

Q I just want to circle back to this question of a chilling effect. You talked about the question of whether a citizen in a family gets benefits, if that wouldn’t be used against somebody.

But take the case that immigration advocates, I think, use a lot, of a family that are in the country legally, they haven’t yet gotten their green cards. They are in need of services, whether that be medical services, whether that be housing services to keep them off the streets, so to speak. And they are going to now be fearful of using the services to which they are legally entitled, under the law, because there’s no way to determine — one, two, three years out from when they might apply for their green card — whether — how much they’re likelier not to get a green card if they use the services.

So the fear is that there will be a wave of people across the country who will decide not to get — not to use the services, sort of, affirmatively that they’re entitled to, out of fear that it’ll ultimately come to bite them.

And how do you counter that, if, in fact, you want them to use the services to which they’re entitled? Or is it — or is this really a sort of effort to say, “This is a whole class of people that shouldn’t be using any services at all”?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Well, in your description, you described a situation where government benefits were basically making — allowing this family to hang on; that they’re not self-sufficient.

And while this — if we go forward a few years and look back at that situation — because, remember, we essentially start counting October 15th, with the exception of things that would have qualified under the 1999 guidance, which was fairly narrow. Then that’s what we’re trying to avoid in the future.

Now, even under the circumstances you describe, if you’re talking about an applicant who has the skills necessary to, you know, to make their own way and to work their way of that situation, that’s a case they make to the career caseworker — well, immigration services officer.

But we do want to avoid, looking to the future, a situation where people who are adjusting status do, in the future, become dependent on those public benefits. We’re trying to avoid that situation going forward.

Q But, as I understand it, the public benefits are there as a bridge, right? Like you — the public benefits aren’t designed for people to be on them forever. They’re designed to be on them to help — whether you’re an immigrant or not an immigrant, they’re there to help folks for a time.

So are you saying that, if you’re an immigrant, your advice to them is, “Don’t take benefits because this is going to count against you”?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: No, I was using your example of where they need them and there’s — you know, it’s their foundation, financially, as I took your description.

And I would say that the entire legal immigration system is designed, by Congress, for the benefit of America. And what we’re looking for here are people who are going to live with us either their whole lives, or ultimately become citizens, who can stand on their own two feet, with the same sort of requirements that we’ve had in the past for well over a century.

Yes, sir. In the middle.

Q Will the different benefits be weighted differently or treated differently? Say, if someone uses Medicaid, will that be held against them more than, say, if they use food stamps?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: So — not the benefits, no. But the use of benefits over the 12-month period in 36 months would be a heavily negative factor. There are negative factors, heavily weighted negative factors. There are positive factors, heavily weighted positive factors.

I’ll give you an example of the other side. If you have private health insurance, that is a heavily weighted positive factor.

So those are — those do all weigh in, again, in the totality of circumstances. And obviously, we call the more heavily weighted factors “heavily” because they matter more than the others. But they go in both directions.

Q We’ve heard outspoken critics of the administration’s immigration policies before, but it seems increasingly we’re hearing from U.S. Catholic bishops who are showing their concern. Now, you’re Catholic. When you hear the bishops’ concern, does it give you any pause when you consider carrying out some of these policies?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: It doesn’t give me pause about implementing the laws that’s already been put in place, and particularly given the long history. I used an Italian example from my background; the other half is Irish. So, you know, I’m very familiar with what the Catholic bishops have to say on this subject, and they certainly are vociferous.

And I would say, as a Catholic, one of the things I’m proud of is that my church has been one of the best supporters of people in this country before we had a welfare state.

So, I don’t see that changing, and I don’t see any conflict with enforcing the law as it’s written.

Yes, sir.

Q Can you address the Latino community? Some in the Latino community already feel they have been targeted. You have the El Paso shooting. You have the raids in Mississippi. But as Jon noted before, the issues before were if you were here illegally, and now this obviously extends to legal immigration. Why shouldn’t the Latino community feel targeted by this?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Well, first of all, this is a 140-year-old legal structure. We’re dealing with the most recent iteration of it. But this is not new. This was — the same question might have been asked when my Italian immigrants were coming — immigrant ancestors were coming in — and all through that 140 years. So, we’re not doing anything new here; we’re simply making effective what Congress had already put on the books. So there’s no reason for any particular group to feel like this is targeting them. This will apply across the world.

Q (Inaudible) that this will apply to more Latinos than any other — likely more Latinos?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Well, if we had been having this conversation 100 years ago, it would’ve applied to more Italians. It would’ve — you know, we can go —

Q But we’re having the conversation now in a very divisive time.

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Well, that’s just fine. Well, I think that the divisiveness may be more rhetorical. And I hope that you all, in your role, will help cure that with some of how you report it.

Yes, sir. I’m going to take two more.

Yeah. Right here. Orange tie.

Q Thanks for coming.

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: Sorry. Orange tie.

Q Right here. Thank you.

Former Vice President Joe Biden has said that the United States could easily take another 2 million refugees. He’s made these kind of comments on the campaign trail. Does the Trump administration have a threshold that they would like to how many more immigrants and asylum and refugee people that they could take?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: There is no — there’s no comprehensive number out there at all. The only things with formal numbers — or the earlier question, say, about the annual refugee number; that happens every year. Of course, we’re taking in, I want to say, around a million-plus a year right now. And I can’t really speak to Joe Biden’s personal opinion. But we don’t have some target number that we’re working with here, if that’s your question.

All right. Last question. Yes, ma’am.

Q Does this new public charge rule impact future applications? For example, would there be a higher bar for U.S. citizens to prove that they can financially support a family member for a family-based immigrant visa?

ACTING DIRECTOR CUCCINELLI: So what you would normally have in the family circumstance is you’d have an affidavit of support. So they wouldn’t necessarily fall into the category of being addressed by the public charge rule, because if they have an affidavit of support which has been scrutinized by a USCIS officer, and it is believed that sponsor can, in fact, support those identified at over 125 percent of the federal poverty guidelines — which is the standard — then that would be the end of the discussion as it relates to that sort of application.

It’s an excellent question because it addresses a huge piece of legal immigration in this country.

Thank you all very much.
This new law, the reason the interview is being held in the first place, is because the White House introduced a new immigration rule that means immigrants who apply for public assistance, like food stamps, could have their green card applications delayed, or revoked. It does NOT target only non-European immigrants. It does NOT target only non-white immigrants. The law is race-blind. Here is our .gov link detailing more information on the public charge law and its history:
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge
A. For purposes of determining inadmissibility, “public charge” means an individual who is likely to become primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, as demonstrated by either the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance or institutionalization for long-term care at government expense.

A number of factors must be considered when making a determination that a person is likely to become a public charge.

Under Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), an individual seeking admission to the United States or seeking to adjust status to that of an individual lawfully admitted for permanent residence (Green Card) is inadmissible if the individual, "at the time of application for admission or adjustment of status, is likely at any time to become a public charge." Public charge does not apply in naturalization proceedings. If an individual is inadmissible, admission to the United States or adjustment of status is not granted.

It's despicable that the press is coming at this as "racist" when clearly there is a stronger, more rational rebuttal rooted in an untoward discrimination against the impoverished. Rachel voiced it someone eloquently in the interview when she said, "this rule appears to change the definition of the American dream."

Liberals and the liberal media must not believe in any of the slander they direct at Trump or his administration if they feel the need to strawman their comments; fabricating intended commentary that simply doesn't exist, and hurling accusations of racism where clearly none can be substantiated.

Of course, we just went over this in the past month. Some will never learn. The dumber and more ignorant will always be easily manipulated & programmed. Always have been, always will be.

A much more reasonable explanation to me would be that immigration is a sign of an abundance of opportunity, more jobs than workers, and a decline in immigration would indicate the opposite, more workers than jobs.

That's good because we need to save the planet right? Lets conserve resources together.

It was built and sent by France. It’s 1000% what it means
That's not what it means.

The Statue was sent to celebrate the end of slavery. The sculptor was an abolitionist. There are broken shackles on the statues feet for that reason.

The poem came later. The poem was written by a woman who spent her time helping refugees, many of them Russian Jews.

That official can't just retcon the history of the Statue of Liberty or it's poem just because he wants to, lol.

Your point doesn't make sense because you're consistently ignoring why immigration was low in the first place. Global depression, global war, recovery period, and a cold war that followed it all. All major reasons why international travel were down and outright restricted by nation states.

You're not even asking the question why immigration is low, you're just saying immigration was low therefore that's the reason for success.

I never said you said that it was the greatest period of growth, I was only demonstrating how your logic was flawed by using it against you.

A much more reasonable explanation to me would be that immigration is a sign of an abundance of opportunity, more jobs than workers, and a decline in immigration would indicate the opposite, more workers than jobs. In the post war period this make an incredible amount more sense to me considering the massive influx of returning GIs into the work force and the baby boom that followed.

Additionally, the factors outside of the country are even more impactful when determining immigration. Immigration to America historically from Europe wasn't just about opportunity, but the religious and political persecution those immigrants had to deal with in their home regions.

I have not ignored the reasons as to why immigration was low at the time, that was never a point which was even raised, nor does it really make one bit of a difference to what I've been saying.

My point was that immigration was low at the time, regardless of whatever factors played a part into that, and America did fine for itself. There was no doom and gloom economically, there was no America turning into a white fascist dictatorship. It was business as usual, and when it comes down to it, they did pretty good business at the time. Increased civil rights for minorities, income equality, constant economic growth, etc.

Most of what you're saying doesn't really concern the point that I've been making in this thread. My main point is that America would do just fine with lower immigration, considering the historical example of that happening. Whether today's conditions require it, is another argument, one that I'll leave for Americans to resolve.

Of course, that won't be happening, as Trump has said that he wants to bring in a lot of immigrants, and there has not really been any sort of a decline on immigration during his stay in government, and probably won't be. He's all about business, and bringing in a bunch of workers is generally good for business. Whether it's good for the average American worker, is another thing, considering their stagnant wages, gimped social services, etc.

Logic dictates that they'd have more room to bargain, if they were the only "players" in town.

I have not ignored the reasons as to why immigration was low at the time, that was never a point which was even raised, nor does it really make one bit of a difference to what I've been saying.

My point was that immigration was low at the time, regardless of whatever factors played a part into that, and America did fine for itself. There was no doom and gloom economically, there was no America turning into a white fascist dictatorship. It was business as usual, and when it comes down to it, they did pretty good business at the time. Increased civil rights for minorities, income equality, constant economic growth, etc.

Most of what you're saying doesn't really concern the point that I've been making in this thread. My main point is that America would do just fine with lower immigration, considering the historical example of that happening. Of course, that won't be happening, as Trump has said that he wants to bring in a lot of immigrants, and there has not really been any sort of a decline on immigration during his stay in government, and probably won't be. He's all about business, and bringing in a bunch of workers is generally good for business. Whether it's good for the average American worker, is another thing, considering their stagnant wages, gimped social services, etc.

Logic dictates that they'd have more room to bargain, if they were the only "players" in town.

You're still just assuming that if immigration were higher that period the results wouldn't be the same or even better.

You're still just assuming that if immigration were higher that period the results wouldn't be the same or even better.

I'm sure the results would've been better, for some people.

I think the average American worker did pretty well for themselves during that period though.

The fuck are you talking about? You were talking about slaves and the Civil War, and that's what I was responding to. Now you're bringing the argument about, to mean WW2? Talk about being a spin doctor.

If you think that a slave/ex-slave would intentionally fight to uphold slavery, without being significantly misled by the government that he is fighting for, you're out for lunch.

I already made the point that WW2 served as a unifying effort, as white men fought alongside black men, and these previously segregated groups grew to have a respect for one another's capabilities, a respect that previously may not have existed. It's not different from when Finns who fought on both sides of the Civil War, put their grievances aside and fought against the Soviet invasion.

Correlation does equal causation? I suppose you intended to mean that it doesn't. Obviously I know that. But it works both ways.

To say that WW2 was literally the only reason for America's growth, is as simplistic as any argument that I've put up in this thread, or even more so. At the very least, I only simplify my arguments to meet the level of intellect that is required here. If I wanted to craft bullet-proof arguments, believe me, I could. But that's not my intention. I enjoy the back-and-forths, and have no real agendas, certainly no "white supremacist" agenda, like you're alluding. I leave weak spots for people to poke holes at my arguments, because I can afford to.

What I do, is challenge people, and some people don't enjoy being challenged, you obviously belonging in that group, considering the "attack dog" stance you take every time that somebody says something that you don't agree with. You look for some sort of "ulterior motives" on part of the person you're disagreeing with, because you cannot confront the argument itself.

In fact America was coming to WW2 off of a huge depression, which saw many regular citizens lose most of their wealth.

Soviet Union conquered an enormous amount of territory and resources during WW2, and was right up there with America as far as dictating world policy. Yet America prevailed over them, and it was not as a result of WW2, but their better, more pragmatic policies.

You may have missed the Cold War, but I didn't. I know just how powerful the "Big Brother" USSR was, during its peak. They had enormous productive capabilities, as well as a military that could blow over the entire Europe, if not for America. So they did not just have a "free lunch" when they assumed their rightful position as the most powerful country in the world at that time.
You are daft.

No we were talking about the time YOU referenced in your chart as the period of low immigration but big prosperity.

you wrongly tried to say 'look, low immigration and also massive prosperity, therefore one caused the other' and myself and others pointed out how stupid you were being as that was the end of WW2 and the US went into the war.

If you want to say now 'lots of factors' then fine. But stop trying to say then that 'low immigration = great wealth creation' and using that graph.

That's not what it means.

The Statue was sent to celebrate the end of slavery. The sculptor was an abolitionist. There are broken shackles on the statues feet for that reason.

The poem came later. The poem was written by a woman who spent her time helping refugees, many of them Russian Jews.

That official can't just retcon the history of the Statue of Liberty or it's poem just because he wants to, lol.
Russia is technically in Europe (not that I agree with this). He didn't retconn the history of anything, and his comments didn't bear on the statue (or slavery) at all. He offered his interpretation of the poem's primary group of reference, and that's correct.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/snpim1.htm
After the depression of the 1890s, immigration jumped from a low of 3.5 million in that decade to a high of 9 million in the first decade of the new century. Immigrants from Northern and Western Europe continued coming as they had for three centuries, but in decreasing numbers. After the 1880s, immigrants increasingly came from Eastern and Southern European countries, as well as Canada and Latin America. By 1910, Eastern and Southern Europeans made up 70 percent of the immigrants entering the country. After 1914, immigration dropped off because of the war, and later because of immigration restrictions imposed in the 1920s.

Did you drink the Kool-Aid before actually listening to or reading what he said? Shame, Pan.

You are daft.

No we were talking about the time YOU referenced in your chart as the period of low immigration but big prosperity.

you wrongly tried to say 'look, low immigration and also massive prosperity, therefore one caused the other' and myself and others pointed out how stupid you were being as that was the end of WW2 and the US went into the war.

If you want to say now 'lots of factors' then fine. But stop trying to say then that 'low immigration = great wealth creation' and using that graph.

I was responding to someone who said that low immigration during that time was intended to keep America a white-majority racist country. I pointed out that America did great at the time, and increasingly pushed for civil rights as well, so that was obviously not the intention, nor the outcome. Never had the black man in America seen as much progress in previous times, as he did after WW2 events. Never has America been as driven by the "working man", as it was during that time.

As @Rational Poster said, the reasons as to why immigration was low, had more to do with economic depression, war-time activity and Cold War tensions, than some sort of a "race quota" that was imposed by the U.S., to keep the country "white".

Anyway, you're just starting to increasingly sound like a grumpy old man who is more interested in calling people names than honestly arguing a point, so I'll probably just leave you to your little gimmick. You can play that "game" with somebody else. I have no patience for it.

Your history is not good. You imply that America is the only country to come through the depression when it was a global malady.

You also ignore the how important it was that America be the only major power effectively untouched by WWII, especially when the Soviet Union was ravaged demographically, and the remaining European powers were at best broke.

WWII is important because it helped bring the U.S. out of the depression and it eliminated all other competition globally.

I was responding to someone who said that low immigration during that time was intended to keep America a white-majority racist country. I pointed out that America did great at the time, and increasingly pushed for civil rights as well, so that was obviously not the intention, nor the outcome. Never had the black man in America seen as much progress in previous times, as he did after WW2 events. Never has America been as driven by the "working man", as it was during that time.

As @Rational Poster said, the reasons as to why immigration was low, had more to do with economic depression, war-time activity and Cold War tensions, than some sort of a "race quota" that was imposed by the U.S., to keep the country "white".

Anyway, you're just starting to increasingly sound like a grumpy old man who is more interested in calling people names than honestly arguing a point, so I'll probably just leave you to your little gimmick. You can play that "game" with somebody else. I have no patience for it.

Oh there was absolutely racist immigration policy at that time and proceeding it, don't get it twisted.

IIRC it even explicitly said things like no Mexicans or Chinese which is why we've seen almost no legal immigration from those places till recent decades.

Even the current state of drug policy of draconian federal marijuana laws can be traced back to racist policy that was mean to target Mexicans.

Your history is not good. You imply that America is the only country to come through the depression when it was a global malady.

You also ignore the how important it was that America be the only major power effectively untouched by WWII, especially when the Soviet Union was ravaged demographically, and the remaining European powers were at best broke.

WWII is important because it helped bring the U.S. out of the depression and it eliminated all other competition globally.

I did not imply that America was the only country to come through a depression during that time, the poster I was responding to, was making claims of sustained economic growth for America coming into that war, when in fact they had been in a deep depression for a very long time.

I also did not ignore the importance of America being the only major power "untouched" (even though realistically they were not untouched, as they invested heavily into Europe and even the USSR). What I said, was that it is not the only factor as to why America became the most powerful country in the world. Many had predicted they would, prior to the war, if America ever "woke up". Hitler, Stalin, Churchill, they all held the same view, that America was the sleeping giant, with enormous productive potential that had not yet been fully taken advantage of.

What you seem to ignore is that despite demographic losses, USSR covered by conquering large amounts of territory, having an enormous baby boom, and establishing satellite-states that paid homage to them. They were a force to be reckoned with, in the post-WW2 era. The reason they ended up taking a back-seat to America, was not WW2, but because America was simply greater. They had better policies, they offered greater freedoms, they had more cultural influence, and ultimately, they were more creative than the mechanical Soviets.

I sometimes wonder if people even read my posts, or if they just gloss over them, until they find something convenient to dig into.

Back