Law Trump official: Statue of Liberty poem refers to Europeans

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by FinalFight, Aug 14, 2019 at 7:35 AM.

1. FinalFight

FinalFight Black Belt

Trump official: Statue of Liberty poem is about Europeans

WASHINGTON (AP) — A top Trump administration official says that the famous inscription on the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants into the country is about “people coming from Europe” and that America is looking to receive migrants “who can stand on their own two feet.”

The comments on Tuesday from Ken Cuccinelli, the acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, came a day after the Trump administration announced it would seek to deny green cards to migrants who seek Medicaid, food stamps, housing vouchers or other forms of public assistance. The move, and Cuccinelli’s defense, prompted an outcry from Democrats and immigration advocates who said the policy would favor wealthier immigrants and disadvantage those from poorer countries in Latin America and Africa.

“This administration finally admitted what we’ve known all along: They think the Statue of Liberty only applies to white people,” tweeted former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, a Democratic presidential candidate.

The administration’s proposed policy shift comes as President Donald Trump is leaning more heavily into the restrictive immigration policies that have energized his core supporters and were central to his 2016 victory. He has also spoken disparagingly about immigration from majority black and Hispanic countries, including calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals when he launched his 2016 campaign. Last year, he privately branded Central American and African nations as “shithole” countries and he suggested the U.S. take in more immigrants from European countries like predominantly white Norway.

Cuccinelli said in an interview with CNN on Tuesday night that the Emma Lazarus poem emblazoned on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty referred to “people coming from Europe where they had class based societies where people were considered wretched if they weren’t in the right class.”

Lazarus’ poem, written in 1883 to raise money to construct the Statue of Liberty’s pedestal and cast in bronze beneath the monument in 1903, served as a beacon to millions of immigrants who crossed past as they first entered the U.S. in New York Harbor. It reads, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.”

Cuccinelli was asked earlier Tuesday on NPR whether the words “give me your tired, your poor” were part of the American ethos. Cuccinelli responded: “They certainly are. Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.”

A hard-line conservative from Virginia, Cuccinelli was a failed Republican candidate for governor in 2013 after serving as the state’s attorney general. He backed Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas for president in 2016 and for a time was a harsh critic of Trump.

He is one of a slew of immigration hardliners brought in by Trump to implement the president’s policies. He was appointed to the post in June in a temporary capacity, which doesn’t require Senate confirmation.

Trump, asked Tuesday about Cuccinelli’s comments on NPR, appeared to back him up.

“I don’t think it’s fair to have the American taxpayer paying for people to come into the United States,” Trump told reporters before boarding Air Force One for Pennsylvania. “I think we’re doing it right.”

Immigrant rights groups strongly criticized the Trump administration’s new rules for immigrants receiving public assistance, warning that the changes would scare immigrants away from asking for needed help. And they voiced concern that officials were being given too much authority to decide whether someone is likely to need public assistance in the future.

Another Democratic presidential candidate, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, also condemned Cuccinelli’s comments.

“Our values are etched in stone on the Statue of Liberty. They will not be replaced,” she tweeted. “And I will fight for those values and for our immigrant communities.”

https://apnews.com/290fe000b4584ddc...low&utm_medium=AP_Politics&utm_source=Twitter

______________________________________________________________________________

Trump officials aren't hiding their racism any longer. I wonder what the Trump supporters who aren't white or of European ancestry have to say about this?

Sano, luckyshot, Serenity Now and 4 others like this.
  2. Kitafuji

Kitafuji Purple Belt

I totally remember all the south american's flooding into our country through Ellis Island in the 1800's. Cuccinelli was asked a question about the poem and he answered it. Everything he said was true and of coarse the MSM is trying to change his words to fit their narrative.
    I'm Japanese btw since ts is aking what none white's think of this.
    Libs keep doing what you are doing and keep Trump in the WH............... "four more year"!

rambosabeast, solmu, Zer and 8 others like this.
  3. Trotsky

Trotsky Yellow Card Yellow Card

Listen, you gotta trust the Cooch. It's not like his name, Cuccinelli, is representative of a Southern European people whose immigration was strongly opposed by racists during the 19th and 20th centuries but whose entry was secured by the fact that the country's principle won out over the illiterate pants-shitting of morons.

4. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Did you leave the "s" off at the end on purpose??
    Come on..

Oh, and when it was written it probably was about Europeans.. But it's a melting out now.

PHATV and Ultra O’Dia like this.
  5. 44nutman

44nutman The Original Nut of Sherdog

[​IMG]
    This guy would tell Cuccinelli's great great grandfather European ass to go home or get carved up.

6. Rational Poster

Rational Poster War Room Messiah Yellow Card

I also remember we waged war on the Mexicans for purely racist, jingoistic, and imperialist reasons, so maybe that has something to do with the lack of immigration from that region?

7. tinker_190

tinker_190 Brown Belt

So you're telling me it's time to pull down another offensive statue?

raty tat tat, Zer, MPD-Psycho and 6 others like this.
  8. squeezewax

squeezewax Brown Belt

Surely it was meant predominately about Europeans at that time...............a different time.
    I think the 'Liberty' meaning of the statue gets forgotten, it seems to be all about immigration instead of liberty/freedom.

PHATV, MPD-Psycho and Ultra O’Dia like this.
  9. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

I remember reading as a kid that the face on it is the sculptor's mother who was actually a bigot. lol. She prevented him from marrying a Jew among other things. So that face is the face of a bigot. An anti-Semite.

Unfortunately, history tells us that Madame Bartholdi was “something of a religious bigot,” ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=pXFv0jTm-J4C&pg=PT218&lpg=PT218&dq=Bartholdi+mother+"bigot"&source=bl&ots=Qq6Tf5UTUl&sig=ACfU3U21f20DBGwuz518GzpKlruPfkSbtQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjdu96f0YLkAhUEr1kKHYXFCOkQ6AEwBXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Bartholdi mother "bigot"&f=false

10. Happy Man

Happy Man Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Dont forget we must tear down all
    Monuments as well. The founding fathers were white supremacist slave owners. Tear them down. Lincoln said awful things about black people. Demolish his monument.

Rename much of the cities of America.

Don’t forget, just like the taliban, we must dynamite Mount Rushmore as those evil white supremacists are offensive!!!

Sad thing is, there is a great chance of that happening. While the globalist billionaires gleefully celebrate. And order more immigration

raty tat tat, Mcountry, PHATV and 7 others like this.
  11. Limbo Pete

Limbo Pete Oh no, bro!

12. Ophydian

Ophydian Brown Belt

And most people from LATAM have Southern European ancestry.

PolishHeadlock2 likes this.
  13. FinalFight

FinalFight Black Belt

If you're not a white European then you literally have to be a cuck to support Trump. He's basically telling everyone who isn't a white european to go fuck themselves and America isn't a place for you.

Nice to see the racism out in the open though. Always good to know your enemy.

Sano, Dizzy, Alphafail and 6 others like this.
  14. Strychnine

Strychnine Steel Belt

The sculptor put the face of a bigot on one of the apex symbols of liberty and understanding to welcome one and all to America in the name of brotherhood.

The irony of this colossal FU to his mom's bigotry is not lost on me.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 7:54 PM
  15. ShadowRun

ShadowRun error Platinum Member

They weren’t all Europeans when the statue came to USA ?

16. brody_in_ga

brody_in_ga Yellow Belt

Is Japan racist for wanting to remain majority Japanese? How about Mexico? Why is it that only majority white countries are expected to embrace multiculturalism?

17. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

Should we make similar statues of Hitler welcoming immigrants for the irony? That will be a big fuck you to him. Let's do it.

18. nostradumbass

nostradumbass Gold Belt

Damn, Beta O'Rourke going in raw on non-white migrants, calling them a bunch of welfare mooches.

19. PolishHeadlock2

PolishHeadlock2 Brown Belt Platinum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A story as old as time

m25105, Sano, Alphafail and 11 others like this.
  20. FinalFight

FinalFight Black Belt

If Japan turns away people based on race then yes they are racist. Same goes for any other country who does the same.

Sano, Alphafail, Kuggk and 4 others like this.