International Trump administration leads the world in confronting China on Uighur ethnic cleansing

Islam Imamate

Master of sports in Moderation.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
tl;dr Trump is Making America Great Again by putting pressure on the Chinese for their ethnic cleansing of the Uighurs. Agree or disagree?

This is an issue that I think Trump deserves a lot of praise. Of course its easy to see that there is likely an ulterior motive behind his confrontational stance on the issue of the Uighurs in Xinjiang province. However to me that doesn't matter as long as pressure is being put on China for its atrocities. If this issue ends up merely being a chip in the trade war I would be bigly disappointed but for now I like what I see. In fact I attended a lecture on the Uighur crisis by a Uighur professor who escaped China and whose family was devastated by ethnic cleansing and he said the one country that has confronted China the most on this issue is the US. He said Turkey is a somewhat distant second while many Muslim countries give zero fucks.

For instance earlier this month US and German diplomats brought the issue up at a UN Security Council meeting about Central Asia in what was described as a heated exchange. And at the UN Human Rights Council 22 countries, many of whom are allies with the US such as Germany, Japan, Canada, and Britain, signed a letter condemning China for its detention centers which is the first such action in the UN Human Rights Council on the matter. The US did not because it withdrew from the Human Rights Council but I doubt there was no US influence behind the letter, otherwise countries like Japan and Australia wouldn't be so bold in standing up to China. Of course there was a counter letter in support of China signed by such free and just countries as Russia, North Korea, Cuba, Myanmar and Venezuela. It even includes Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and the other GCC states.

There was also the conference on religious persecution in which Pompeo not only called out China but also called out the countries that did not attend the conference, some of whom were thought to have been pressured by China not to. And of course Trump met with various victims of religious persecution around the world, including a Uighur. Unfortunately the narrative from that meeting that materialized on this forum was concerning his gaffe about not knowing where Myanmar is. Which okay its another funny Trumpism and its fine to get a giggle out of it but we should step back and see that he's trying to send a message to countries like China and Myanmar.

What say you? Do you agree with Trumps stance on this issue? Or do you side with the Chinese who insist its an "internal" matter and should be ignored by the world?

I think this is a good direction for Trump to take. I dont think that a symbolic vote in the UN is praiseworthy.

Trump is doing more for the Uighur people than most politicians ever have.

I feel like we Canadians should be concerned seeing as we just admitted to an ongoing genocide.

tl;dr Trump is Making America Great Again by putting pressure on the Chinese for their ethnic cleansing of the Uighurs. Agree or disagree?

This is an issue that I think Trump deserves a lot of praise. Of course its easy to see that there is likely an ulterior motive behind his confrontational stance on the issue of the Uighurs in Xinjiang province. However to me that doesn't matter as long as pressure is being put on China for its atrocities. If this issue ends up merely being a chip in the trade war I would be bigly disappointed but for now I like what I see. In fact I attended a lecture on the Uighur crisis by a Uighur professor who escaped China and whose family was devastated by ethnic cleansing and he said the one country that has confronted China the most on this issue is the US. He said Turkey is a somewhat distant second while many Muslim countries give zero fucks.

For instance earlier this month US and German diplomats brought the issue up at a UN Security Council meeting about Central Asia in what was described as a heated exchange. And at the UN Human Rights Council 22 countries, many of whom are allies with the US such as Germany, Japan, Canada, and Britain, signed a letter condemning China for its detention centers which is the first such action in the UN Human Rights Council on the matter. The US did not because it withdrew from the Human Rights Council but I doubt there was no US influence behind the letter, otherwise countries like Japan and Australia wouldn't be so bold in standing up to China. Of course there was a counter letter in support of China signed by such free and just countries as Russia, North Korea, Cuba, Myanmar and Venezuela. It even includes Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and the other GCC states.

There was also the conference on religious persecution in which Pompeo not only called out China but also called out the countries that did not attend the conference, some of whom were thought to have been pressured by China not to. And of course Trump met with various victims of religious persecution around the world, including a Uighur. Unfortunately the narrative from that meeting that materialized on this forum was concerning his gaffe about not knowing where Myanmar is. Which okay its another funny Trumpism and its fine to get a giggle out of it but we should step back and see that he's trying to send a message to countries like China and Myanmar.

What say you? Do you agree with Trumps stance on this issue? Or do you side with the Chinese who insist its an "internal" matter and should be ignored by the world?

Because its Geo Political the other Maslim countries probably love Chinese money like Saudi or Iran China buys oil from them

I think this is a good direction for Trump to take. I dont think that a symbolic vote in the UN is praiseworthy.
Why not? It only goes so far and sure the activists wanted it to go further but there's a reason its only symbolic for now
It fell short of a formal statement being read out at the Council or a resolution submitted for a vote, as sought by activists. This was due to governments’ fears of a potential political and economic backlash from China, diplomats said.

“It is a first collective response on Xinjiang,” a Western diplomat told Reuters on Wednesday. “The idea of a resolution was never on the cards.”

Another envoy said: “It’s a formal step because it will be published as an official document of the Council ... It is a signal.”
But its still something. China has so much economic and political clout that many countries won't even offer symbolic condemnation.
Trump is doing more for the Uighur people than most politicians ever have.
That's true but still there's much more work that needs to be done. But so far so good.

I think this shows the UN's ability to be a good tool for US interest. Kind of makes me laugh when those on the right say we should get rid of it, and go full America First because the UN means nothing.

Why not? It only goes so far and sure the activists wanted it to go further but there's a reason its only symbolic for now

Because Idont think there will be any follow through at all. Will just call them mean in public and then not do anything else to change the reality for those people.

I think this shows the UN's ability to be a good tool for US interest. Kind of makes me laugh when those on the right say we should get rid of it, and go full America First because the UN means nothing.
That's a good point, if Trump hadn't withdrawn the US from the UN Human Rights Council we could've also signed that letter condemning China.
Because Idont think there will be any follow through at all. Will just call them mean in public and then not do anything else to change the reality for those people.
Perhaps but fllow up steps have been considered at least.
The Trump administration has been weighing sanctions against Chinese officials over their policies in Xinjiang, including the Communist Party chief of the region, Chen Quanguo, but has held back amid Chinese threats of retaliation.
Hopefully they'll follow through with that eventually.

When I hear ethnic cleansing I think of people being lined up and shot. Is that the case here? Or what are they doing? Working them to death or something? Clearly, I'm ignorant on this subject.

They are probably so happy that they will only be slightly salty when Trump blindsides them with an impending travel ban.

In all seriousness tho, As much disagreement as we have in the world, one thing that we should all be able to agree on is that every human life is valuable.

When I hear ethnic cleansing I think of people being lined up and shot. Is that the case here? Or what are they doing? Working them to death or something? Clearly, I'm ignorant on this subject.
Not really. Ethnic cleansing does not mean genocide. It means the forced removal of an ethnic group from a given area, usually to make it ethnically homogeneous, which may or may not involve killing them.

In this case the Chinese are arbitrarily detaining hundreds of thousands, possibly up to two million, people in so called "vocational centers"(really internment camps), most of whom are Uighurs but also includes Kazakhs and Uzbeks. The ones outside the camps also face discrimination in employment and housing and are rigorously monitored by the state. The Chinese are trying to eradicate their culture and brainwash them into accepting a Han Chinese identity and into abandoning their ethnic heritage and religion either directly through interment or indirectly through the fear of internment.

Of course the conditions in the camps are horrendous as many people do die in them. But I have not heard or read accounts of them being death camps, the deaths tend to be those who are vulnerable to neglect like the elderly and the young and whatnot.

Well, yeah.

Clearly, I'm ignorant on this subject.

The CCP is a legitimately scary regime, particularly given its economic, industrial and technological clout. Usually countries of this nature don't possess such influence on geopolitical affairs.

Well, yeah.

The CCP is a legitimately scary regime, particularly given its economic, industrial and technological clout. Usually countries of this nature don't possess such influence on geopolitical affairs.

The CCP is the most evil and dangerous regime on the planet, they must be stopped.

And I know what @SIRGAY HARITONOB! is probably thinking. It's correct to a degree (the shit the US and other western contries get up to) but you have to make a like-for-like comparison and in this case we are talking about how China operates domestically and treats its own citizens. It's an ethnonationalist one-party authoritarian state that promulgates Han/Sino supremacist ideology, flat out. There are many other ethnic minority subcultures in the country the government wants eradicated.

The right-wing Christians (if it's even actually about religion for you) who tacitly cheer and approve of this shit simply "because Muslims" probably shouldn't. Hudson Institute also isn't exactly my fave source, but its Chinese writer is quite on point here.

https://www.hudson.org/research/15095-the-anti-islamic-movement-in-china

The mass human rights atrocities in Xinjiang—the region in China’s far west, where Chinese Communist authorities have imprisoned upwards of one million Uyghur Muslims in “political reeducation” camps—are worsening, and this demands a far greater international response. Meantime, Beijing’s sweeping crackdown against the Uyghurs and its modern day gulags have been accompanied by an alarming resurgence in China’s hostility toward religious minorities, and toward Islam and Muslims in particular.

The anti-Muslim movement in China can be directly attributed to the ruling Communist Party’s atheism, ideology of Han Chinese supremacism, and “national rejuvenation.” At the same time, contemporary Chinese anti-Muslim sentiments and harsh policies are not simply the byproduct of communism. They can be traced historically to Han Chinese chauvinism, which first appeared during the early Qing Dynasty, when China came to be ruled by an ethnic minority, the Manchus.

Throughout China’s imperial history, the term “Hui” was used at different times to refer to and also to derogate the adherents of monotheistic faiths like Islam, Judaism, and even Christianity. During the Manchu/Qing Dynasty’s (1644-1911) westward territorial expansion into the heart of Eurasia, large numbers of Han Chinese migrated into territories previously dominated by non-Han peoples, including Hui Muslims.

This led to ethnic and religious tensions which frequently became violent in the empire’s interior regions and along its frontiers in Central Asia. It also gave rise to popular anti-Muslim and chauvinistic attitudes among Han Chinese, which included efforts to forcibly assimilate the Hui into Chinese society. It even led to calls to eliminate Muslims and Islam from the empire altogether.

This historical pattern of Han Chinese chauvinism and “Hui-phobia” has continued into the modern era. In recent times, the spread of the Internet and social media in China has contributed to a marked popular resurgence of anti-Muslim sentiment, actions and policies. This paper explores the evolution of anti-Islamic stereotyping and bigotry in China from the Hui-phobia of the early Qing to the blatant hostility toward Islam and Muslims today.

I’ve had the pleasure of eating Uyghur food. Dear God, it’s delicious. Uyghur’s struggle is legit and I hope this snowballs into some genuine actions.

Well it's not like they are handing him a Nobel Peace Prize.

<Baelish01>

This is quite a funkadelic thread, @Kafir-kun.

Trump did something kinda good...

...it's to the benefit of Muslims.

[ DEAFENING SILENCE ]

<36>

Back