Trump admin now collecting DNA from migrants

Good now they can plant it on crime scenes and blame whatever minority group is flavour of the month

It sounds like a good idea at first but I have an uneasy feeling about what else they’ll do with it.

Why do you follow me around in threads to ask me my identity constantly? Take it to the lounge and stop clogging up threads. I was born in Canada, and I live in Toronto but I identify as an American.
An undocumented right winger?

SplendidScornfulBrahmanbull-size_restricted.gif

It sounds like a good idea at first but I have an uneasy feeling about what else they’ll do with it.
Yep, it's good to be skeptical. Duplicitous foot in the door whilst probably not fixing the original problem is the worst case scenario for everyone. It's also clever because you can't say either way until it's too late, best to make strict conditions on any potential over-reach.

Until they start collecting mandatory DNA samples from citizens, I don't see the big government overreach here. Identifying migrants by the best means available, seems like a no brainer to me. It's just an evolution of the system already in place. If it came out of nowhere, and they weren't already subjecting migrants to invasive identification methods, I could then maybe see a bit of an alarm, but this is just a tighter method than what is currently in place.I don't believe the "what about gun registry" is all that relevant here.
The argument for the gun registry is the government, or some other entity that hacks the system, uses the information to target gun owners for disarming the populace. Now imagine the government, or Julian Assange, using a DNA registry to identify all the people with greater than a certain percentage of African ancestry? Hispanic? Middle Eastern? Take your pick.
I'm extremely uncomfortable with unmitigated mass DNA collection, especially by the state. Imagine a scenario where your DNA is used to deny medical insurance coverage because you are related to people with a cancer gene, or a gene you carry makes you ineligible for a job. Probably a lot of other worse ways that the information could be used against a law abiding person.
Very true.
The topic at hand is collecting samples from immigrants that meet certain criteria; caught attempting illegal entry, seeking asylum, what have you, which is fine on the face of things. But consider other instances of DNA collection - military service, certain felonies, and the precedent of private companies sharing DNA info with the government - and the genetic database expands.

Back