International Trump admin moves to block Huawei from global chip mfgs. Thread Updated.

Remember when the Redskins agreed to letting Huawei provide the wifi at FedEx Field and thr FBI had to tell them that was a bad idea?

Imagine the amount of hacking, phishing, and viruses within the work phone of the DC policy makers that have season tickets.

Economic decoupling is happening.

This won't be good for America long term. They'll get a short term benefit of hurting Huawei, but the result is that China will replace US suppliers.

Semiconductors are already a Chinese priority. Now they'll be throwing everything at it.

He must be holding out for another Chinese patent for his Daughter.

I agree and disagree. He definitely is not a coalition builder. But he is a doer. I doubt Hillary would have said anything, much less have done anything.
you mean besides selling long range missile technology to China, trading access to the white house in exchange for campaign money for her senate run like they did when bill was occupying the white house

it was bill clinton opening trade deals with China that catapulted them into the manufacturing juggernaut they have become

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bill+clin...ng+to+their+super+power+status&t=brave&ia=web

But yeah you guys keep blaming president Trump for the rest of the world burning

you mean besides selling long range missile technology to China, trading access to the white house in exchange for campaign money for her senate run like they did when bill was occupying the white house

it was bill clinton opening trade deals with China that catapulted them into the manufacturing juggernaut they have become

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bill+clin...ng+to+their+super+power+status&t=brave&ia=web

But yeah you guys keep blaming president Trump for the rest of the world burning
I'm not blaming Trump. Clinton chided H Bush about Tiananmen square and how H didn't properly sanction China. Clinton foes ahead and gets them to join the WTO. Bill was awful in how he basically helped China and Walmart at the expense of the US people.
Trump has his problems, but he is the only one to actually confront China on it. Before him, NOT ONE leader said nor even dod anything about China

Not usually a Trump fan but this is good. Fuck wahghey

you're liberated

In Other News: Um, Yeaaah?

Semi MFG Capital of the World

phx1.png

That fabrication plant will be a great addition to the advanced manufacturing high tech cluster and is likely to be constructed right across the freeway from Intel's new mega factory. $12 BILLION for a contemporary fab though, Jesus Christ that's insane CapEx.

Those silly Brits are still planning on letting Huawei build their 5g networks.

---

Republicans move to block 48 US fighter jets being deployed to Britain over Huawei concerns

Amendment would bar F-35 deployment to countries where Huawei builds 5G network

Republican senators are attempting to block by law the deployment of 48 next generation US fighter jets to Britain because of Huawei's involvement in the UK's 5G network, The Telegraph can reveal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...k-48-us-fighter-jets-deployed-britain-huawei/
https://www.military.com/daily-news...ployments-over-huawei-5g-network-reports.html

Nice.
"Not only do you get cheap, fast networks, but we'll save you even more money by taking this flying white elephant off your hands too."

Intel has been getting fucked in the ass lately. They can't get their shit together on 10nm fab. AMD got the upper hand in the foreseeable future.

Their 10nm problems have been well documented.

Intel: EUV-Enabled 7nm Process Tech On Track

For a number of times Intel said that it set too aggressive scaling/transistor density targets for its 10 nm fabrication process, which is why its development ran into problems. Intel’s 10 nm manufacturing tech relies exclusively on deep ultraviolet lithography (DUVL) with lasers operating on a 193 nm wavelength. To enable the fine feature sizes it set out to achieve on 10 nm, the process had to make heavy usage of multi-patterning.

According to Intel, a problem of the process was precisely its heavy usage of multipatterning (quad-patterning to be more exact). By contrast, Intel’s 7 nm production tech will use extreme ultraviolet lithography (EUVL) with laser wavelength of 13.5 nm for select layers, reducing use of multipatterning for certain metal layers and therefore simplifying production and shortening cycle times. As it appears, the 7 nm fabrication process had been in development separately from the 10 nm tech and by a different team.

As a result, its development is well underway and is projected to enter HVM in accordance with Intel’s unannounced roadmap, the company says. Intel has never disclosed characteristics of its 7 nm fabrication tech, but a major reduction of multi-patterning usage as well as a more traditional 2X scaling goal vs. 10 nm indicates a more extensive usage of EUVL.

In Other News: Um, Yeaaah?

Semi MFG Capital of the World

phx1.png

That fabrication plant will be a great addition to the advanced manufacturing high tech cluster and is likely to be constructed right across the freeway from Intel's new mega factory. $12 BILLION for a contemporary fab though, Jesus Christ that's insane CapEx.

Word up. Saw that about Intel. It's good news for the US workers and Arizona. That's some serious building. Also Foxconn is going to make a factory as well. Trump is unstable, but the fact that he's gotten this done and no one else did, says how bad the rest are.

Going to get a lot of supplier jobs coming in with these

Crushing.

{<redford}

I cannot understand why there is still any debate over whether we should let Huawei have a role in building our 5G networks. So clearly, fucking obviously, not.
Too late for the Europeans & Canadians. They allowed let their more petty anti-American sensibilities to color their decision. They're screwed. China will know everything about them, now. Once again if the shit hits the fan they'll depend on the Americans for security.

Word up. Saw that about Intel. It's good news for the US workers and Arizona. That's some serious building. Also Foxconn is going to make a factory as well. Trump is unstable, but the fact that he's gotten this done and no one else did, says how bad the rest are.

Going to get a lot of supplier jobs coming in with these

For the US in the short-term it's clearly very good.

However, long-term it won't be so good. China will catch the US in semi-conductors. The amount of money they're throwing at it plus the size of their internal market almost guarantees it. They'll catch up quicker than people think. Economic nationalism alone will carry Huawei along until it reaches parity. I think i just read that through their SMIC foundry they've developed a 14nm chip which removes their reliance on TSMC. Clearly behind the others but an important step nonetheless in their semiconductor independence.

There's also the case that Chinese companies will now demand that suppliers to them, through due diligence, will require no material reliance on US parts / software. It sounds unlikely but I bet it's a trend that's happening under the surface for any critical industry. Huawei's phones already contain as little as 1% US parts. Hell, if i'm thinking it, then they are definitely thinking it, and doing it.

The US effort to kill Huawei will backfire and hurt US companies.

But then again this looks like the beginning of China and the US squaring up for a long-term competition.

For the US in the short-term it's clearly very good.

However, long-term it won't be so good. China will catch the US in semi-conductors. The amount of money they're throwing at it plus the size of their internal market almost guarantees it. They'll catch up quicker than people think. Economic nationalism alone will carry Huawei along until it reaches parity. I think i just read that through their SMIC foundry they've developed a 14nm chip which removes their reliance on TSMC. Clearly behind the others but an important step nonetheless in their semiconductor independence.

There's also the case that Chinese companies will now demand that suppliers to them, through due diligence, will require no material reliance on US parts / software. It sounds unlikely but I bet it's a trend that's happening under the surface for any critical industry. Huawei's phones already contain as little as 1% US parts. Hell, if i'm thinking it, then they are definitely thinking it, and doing it.

The US effort to kill Huawei will backfire and hurt US companies.

But then again this looks like the beginning of China and the US squaring up for a long-term competition.
I understand and mostly agree with you. But if we keep feeding them, they'll only grow stronger and quicker than if we cut them off.

Not a coalition builder? That is an understatement. The guy can can't keep Americans from hating each other. The guy has torn down all coalitions and painted us into a corner. I hate to say it and I wish I was wrong but Hilary would have been much better for the country.

I think this line of thought underestimates the extent to which US policy on China was stuck in concrete. We were coming off three sequential administrations who may have known better but, as conventional politicians and personalities, they couldn’t accomplish any meaningful changes to the nature of the relationship. There are too many parties (in government, in business, in the universities/think tanks, etc.) who are vested preserving the status quo. And that’s not accidental. China invested extensively in that strategy knowing it would make it nearly impossible for US policy to turn against them. It’s intrinsic to situations like this that only a wrecking ball can accomplish what “coalition builders” can’t. That’s a pattern shown throughout history, over and over.

UPDATE

Latest News: The US is ratcheting up the pressure on Huawei .
HiSilicon is Huawei's in-house manufacturer of chips for smartphones and 5G technology, considered to be on par with competitors in Japan, S.Korea and the US. But HiSilicon's R&D needs American software technology, which is what the US government is now banning them access to.

--

U.S. strikes at a Huawei prize: chip juggernaut HiSilicon

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - The latest U.S. government action against China’s Huawei takes direct aim the company’s HiSilicon chip division—a business that in a few short years has become central to China’s ambitions in semiconductor technology but will now lose access to tools that are central to its success.

But the U.S. export control rule, first reported by Reuters last week, aims to block HiSilicon’s access to two crucial tools: chip design software from U.S. firms including Cadence Design Systems Inc (CDNS.O) and Synopsys Inc (SNPS.O), and the manufacturing prowess of “foundries,” led by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd (2330.TW), that build chips for many of the world’s top semiconductor firms.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...prize-chip-juggernaut-hisilicon-idUSKBN22X2T3
--

I just love it that the US gov is rustling Huawei / CCP jimmies .

Back