TRUE Punching Power: Julian Jackson.

wow! never really heard of this guy, impressive for sure.

KingKabuki, since you have been training to fight professionally, have you asked any of the fighters/coaches that you train with who do have heavy hands for any insight concerning how they produce their exceptional power and if so, what have they said?

Concerning Julian Jackson, I've read your comments concerning Mike Mccallum's and Antwun Echols experiences with him. Good testament to his power.
The biggest thing I notice with Jackson is he's very explosive off the floor(in terms of getting leverage) and in the hips and he goes all balls to the wall when throwing power shots. He also seems to lead with/rotate his head really hard along with his body(I've seen quite a few heavy hitters have that same trait) especially when throwing hooks.
It's weird watching Jackson throw pitter pat shots when he's trying to find distance/not all out attacking.

Yes, they all say the same thing. "I don't fuckin' know, and I wish people would stop asking me that." Seriously. Very few of them can comprehend even their own punching power. Diego, the kid I spar with all the time, has exceptionally heavy hands and when I told him he doesn't really have a "light" punching setting he said "I don't know what to tell ya."

I do agree thought that most of these guys, their power has to do more with their feet than their hands. But it's not just about "sitting down" on the punches either, because I've seen light hitters do that and still hit light. Juan Diaz comes to mind, he's not a heavy hitter, and his feet are almost always planted. Oscar Bonavena was another, David Diaz a third.

I believe it's a number of mechanisms all happening at once, combined with genetic potential in-terms of fast-twitch muscle fiber resistance. Too many variables to be controlled or taught, or trained up to happen all at once.

still no source?

Why do you want a source mate, its common sense, the jaw is not fixed to the skull, therefore it takes minimal pressure for the point of the jaw to touch the brain, causing brain trauma which makes someone go to sleep, now anyone who has trained for a long time and has strengthen/conditioned the neck muscles around the jaw can probably take more punishment, or a person with naturally stronger jaw, and anyone who has trained for say 6-12 months with the right blow to the jaw can knock a person out.

Why do you want a source mate, its common sense, the jaw is not fixed to the skull, therefore it takes minimal pressure for the point of the jaw to touch the brain, causing brain trauma which makes someone go to sleep, now anyone who has trained for a long time and has strengthen/conditioned the neck muscles around the jaw can probably take more punishment, or a person with naturally stronger jaw, and anyone who has trained for say 6-12 months with the right blow to the jaw can knock a person out.

Id like a source for your 3.8 lbs of pressure claim. I just flicked myself twice in the chin with more pressure than that, and I didnt even blink. So either bow down to my ninja powaz or provide some source for that nonsense.

No dude

The jaw can take 6.5lbs of pressure. Its common sense.

Translation: I don't have a source to back up my bullshit.

those were some clean hits, hes very good at his punch placement

minimal pressure for the point of the jaw to touch the brain? I'm not following you buddy. Last I checked the jaw is not in any way in contact with the brain at all....ever. I've been hit harder than your 3.5 pounds of force before I ever trained and have never been knocked out. I love how you make a statement about something like it is a fact, then when someone asks for a source you reply that it is common sense. It obviously is not common sense if people are debating it so strongly.

Being knocked out is a combination of the brain hitting the inside of the skull, and the face that a neck can only twist so far. That's why a lot of the more brutal KO's you see involve a very sudden impact that twists the neck until disconnect.

To all of you who believe that 1 punch power can be learned through hard training, you are just flat out wrong.

Training makes your punches crisper. It makes them more accurate. It makes them faster due to the fact that they are traveling from point A to point B because of training. It also makes them more powerful because boxing teaches you to put weight behind your punches, even punches that are thrown at a short distance from the opponent.

But the true, 1 punch, tap you on the chin and you drop power is not something you can train for. If it was, don't you think every motherfucker in the pros would hit like Mike Tyson or Julian Jackson?

I train with a guy that has power like that, and since his first day in the gym, even when he is sparring light, it feels like that fucker has a roll of quarters in his hands when he hits you.

I was talking to my trainer today, and he said he'd never been hit before, and has never since been hit the way Julian hit him when they fought. He said in the first round when Julian staggered him, all the sound was gone, he couldn't see anything, and he had to take a minute to find his legs:

YouTube - Julian Jackson vs Mike McCallum

Dey dun know 'bout no stealin! Now yah talkin to meh!

What dey know 'bout 'ittin and not gettin' 'it? Nuttin'! Dem wan just chrow chrow chrow, dun know shit 'bout no stealin'!

All I know is that back when I was competing, I had a body shot the was like nothing my trainers had ever seen. I am 5'9 and have a thick torso and heavy think legs, one of the reason I quit competing is that I am really short and small looking for my weight division. Even though I had probably average power with my hands, my bodyshots were something else. I actually had problems with pain deep in my forarms from hitting the the bag and even sometimes after fighting from just landing these shots. Now as a trainer I try to teach this technique the way I did it, and students develop good shots to the body but they are nothing like I land. You can only teach so much the rest is physical make up and what I believe is a relaxtion and naturalness of a technique your born with that lets you not waste power when throwing it.

thats damn right....read the sig...hes one of my favorite boxer of that decade for sure..

Dey dun know 'bout no stealin! Now yah talkin to meh!

What dey know 'bout 'ittin and not gettin' 'it? Nuttin'! Dem wan just chrow chrow chrow, dun know shit 'bout no stealin'!

that segment with mike is a must see...

i like his explanation about making young kids older by stealing. It make a ton of sense.

Leather jacket and all. what a G.

All the weightlifting gurus will tell you that weightlifting equals power.

All the weightlifting gurus will tell you that weightlifting equals power.

weightlifting equals muscle mass and strength. these factors do not always necessarily contribute to the *skill* of punching

Once again, the kind of power you don't get just by training.

YouTube - Julian Jackson Highlight

That takes me back...

I loved Donald Curry, LLoyd Honeyghan, Buster Drayton, James Kinchen, Sugar Ray Leonard, Livingstone Bramble..

The hardest puncher, imo at the time, was Edwin Rosario. Just didn't have the whatever to put it together consistantly.

Hi-5.:D Thanks.

At 17 in 1986 making about $4/hr I won about $500, or more, on many bets with Leonard/Hagler.:D

Back