True Protein help

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by metalgeardiesel, Jul 24, 2010.

1. metalgeardiesel

metalgeardiesel White Belt

Hey guys,

I have a stocky/chunky build right now and am 5' 6" and 175 lbs. My goal is to lose fat.

I've decided to try TrueProtein.com out but am having trouble deciding on my mix. I've read several posts that said the carb to protein ratio should be 2:1, but is this adequate for someone trying to lose weight?

I'm also allergic to milk and soy. So what I'm doing is getting a mix of rice and pea protein. So far, I've decided on 70% Rice and 30% Pea protein.

Should I include BCAAs or any of that other stuff? I wonder if the extra supplements or flavorings have soy/dairy in them. I've e-mailed them but have yet to hear back...thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. chia

chia POWER OF THE GLOW

Are you allergic to whey or just lactose? I would just get straight whey and pass on the carbs altogether. I prefer ON's whey to TP. I'm sure if you ask them for help they will tell you to get all kinds of extra unnecessary supplements to add in the mix and increase the cost. But if you wanna lose fat quickly using some sort of MRP, whey + fish oil + fiber has worked well for me. Along with some coffee or diet coke.

3. metalgeardiesel

I am allergic to both dairy in general, so both milk and lactose. I tried Lactaid and Isopure Lactose free whey separately before and I still felt like crap. I am also mildly allergic to soy...yeh it sucks.

4. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

I'd go with egg white protein. Pea protein, from what I've heard, is disgusting. No need for BCAA and such, as there will be plenty in your protein powder. Flavoring should be soy/dairy free. Definitely go with a premium.

Discount code in my sig if you don't have one.

5. dingdangdoodle

dingdangdoodle ..

True Protein has a forum if you have more questions:

True Protein Forums | High Quality Nutrition and Protein Supplements - Powered by vBulletin

The texture of pea protein is pretty bad, in my opinion it'll ruin a mix even at a low ratio.

I've ordered rice protein from TP, it's great - very mixable and tastes good with the right flavor. Go with something stronger like chocolate or berry (search the TP forums for flavor reviews), some of their 'natural premium' flavors (orange cream especially) didn't quite come through. I emailed about dairy in their premium cream flavors, no dairy at all, they use vanilla.

6. metalgeardiesel

I actually am trying Rose Acre Farms 100% Egg Whites right now. It makes me a bit sick, not because of the egg whites, but because they feed the chickens soybeans. BLEH http://www.roseacre.com/eggfaq.html:icon_cry2

Also, TP's Egg White Protein contains soy...True Protein | High Quality Nutrition and Protein Supplements . Soy lecithin is a popular preservative.

What ratio of carbs to protein should I go with btw? Again, I am 5' 7" and 175lbs, trying to cut to 150. I did register for the TP forum, still waiting to get my account enabled.

7. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

TS, have you ever visited an allergologist? They can run tests for different allergic factors and for some of them there are treatments to desensitize you.

8. metalgeardiesel

I have. I took the test where they pricked me with 100000000 needles full of allergens. Only spring trees came up though. It is kind of different when you ingest the allergen as opposed to just getting it subcutaneously, but I digress.

The nearest one that I can find is too far away from where i train MMA.

Guys, what ratio of carbs to protein should someone that is trying to lose weight use? 2:1? 1:1?

9. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

this is all very relative depending on what body type you have, how you respond to carbs, etc.

10. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

you might want to try out the beef protein isolate.

11. metalgeardiesel

I have a stocky/chunky build right now and am 5' 6" and 175 lbs. My goal is to lose fat.

12. dingdangdoodle

dingdangdoodle ..

Just get the protein. Carbs are easy to find throughout the day, you don't need more of them. Plan out your daily macros/calories, use a site like fitday dot com or something, supplement your daily protein intake with shakes. Eat good carbs like veggies and fruit and real food. Voila.