TRUE or FALSE: you can't gain muscle while training mma

Zarate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
  • Also argues that you can't gain that much muscle while training MMA fulltime (aerobic/anaerobic work) without using steroids

It's from the Firas Thread. True or false?

False. Yes you burn a lot of calories and that tends to lean you out, but it all comes down to diet and exact training regimen. As long as you’re still doing a lot of strength training and taking in lots of calories you can absolutely still build muscle.

You have to eat to get big.....

light weight baby!!!!

True and false. Its not that hard to gain SOME If you are not very muscular. Mma-training itself can help to shape your body.

That being said I dont believe Costa is clean 247

There are variables since everyone is different. How do these guys fool usada if they are using?
Since "everyone is on roids" I suppose its easy.

False. In isolation, depending on the level of athlete you are, MMA can make you gain some muscle. However overall it is not the most effective way to gain muscle and get bigger. Hence why 90 percent of MMA athletes have conditioning coaches whom train them in weight lifting and explosive exercise. On a good regular lifting schedule the average man will be able to gain muscle while training MMA elsewhere.
This statement also ignores the effectiveness of bodyweight exercise. Looking at boxers from the past, many did not lift weights but achieved very good and strong bodies

Firas is neglecting the most important factor regarding size. Food intake. A bizarre statement to make from an experienced coach who I thought would know better.

True and false. Its not that hard to gain SOME If you are not very muscular. Mma-training itself can help to shape your body.

That being said I dont believe Costa is clean 247
I think this a very good point about your starting point being a factor. Newbs can absolutely do both, but there's probably a point after a while where your body simply can't recover enough between days to gain muscle without some assistance. I've been training over 10 years, and from what I've seen, any guy that comes in already somewhat jacked or burly leans out, guys that were already ripped but not as big stay somewhat the same, and the skinny-fats tend to gain muscle. Not a scientific poll but that's my anecdote.

It's just harder to gain muscle.
1. Your regeneration is bad, because you train 2-3 times a day
2. Most already have a lot of muscle and are near their natural limit

Or in case of Costa way over his natural limit. Everybody is on steroids and that brings exciting fights.

False. Yes you burn a lot of calories and that tends to lean you out, but it all comes down to diet and exact training regimen. As long as you’re still doing a lot of strength training and taking in lots of calories you can absolutely still build muscle.
Yes and especially when you're someone like Costa who uses his strength and explosiveness in his MMA training. Power punching builds more muscle than pitter patter striking.

Firas is neglecting the most important factor regarding size. Food intake. A bizarre statement to make from an experienced coach who I thought would know better.

Exactly. That's the reason I create this Thread. I don't get it why a guy like Firas would tell such a bullshit.

It's all about proper nutrition and proper rest periods.

What a cuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back