True or False. Women initially hurt more during break-ups but recover better than men

Ace of Spade

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
RWlUVJO.jpg

Ladies, we have good and bad news on the breakup front. The good news: You'll probably get over the split faster than your male ex. The bad news: You'll feel more pain in the meantime, according to a new study published in Evolutionary Behavioral Sciences. Researchers asked 5,705 people in 96 countries to rate the emotional and physical pain of a breakup on a scale of one (what pain?) to 10 (agonizing pain) via an online survey. Women reported greater pain emotionally

I think when people are younger it generally hurts women more first and men later, but it reverses as people get older. That could also be because women live longer..

Who knows, who cares. They'll line up another yard an dick and carry on to the next disaster.

In my experience girls get over it quicker because theres always an other guy. Everytime I've seen a chick break up with someone it was cuz there was another guy already lined up. Most girls can't stand to be alone.

i actually kinda like being single more than being in a relationship. sometimes relationships get really real & ur like oh shizz. ur emotionally attached to some1 else & all the decisions u make, u gotta think about her & her feelings/emotions. theres upsides & downsides to both

People with options get over it the quickest.

Of course - like getting fired by kinko's one week and hired by Google the next.

For guys, it's thinking you deserve a raise, quitting and then end up on EI

"Researchers asked 5,705 people in 96 countries to rate the emotional and physical pain of a breakup on a scale of one (what pain?) to 10 (agonizing pain) via an online survey. Women reported greater pain emotionally—a 6.84 compared to 6.58 in men—and physically—a 4.21 versus 3.75 in men. The differences may seem small, but they're statistically significant, reports Fusion."

Ummm... yeah... they're statistically significant if you're going to use them to write a report and want the report to sound like it has some sort of validity.

But if you're looking at the numbers and thinking... "Hmmm... so it's an online survey; it's using self reporting to have participants 'rate' their pain and doesn't seem to be even considering the possibility that men and women, as a general rule, may not be socially conditioned to describe their 'pain' in the same terms as one another."

Then you might be more inclined to look at that and say "Nope. Those numbers are pretty damned close. Not statistically significant."

Getting over support payments is the hardest thing imo

"Researchers asked 5,705 people in 96 countries to rate the emotional and physical pain of a breakup on a scale of one (what pain?) to 10 (agonizing pain) via an online survey. Women reported greater pain emotionally

I could see that.

Of course, women have the habit of trying out the new guy for a while, then trying to go back to the old one when they realize the grass isn't greener.

Women can be very cavalier when playing with dudes' emotions.

It depends...

on how big her tits are.

Not saying this is a good usage of it, but statistically significant has a technical meaning. I think you probably know this but it wasn't clear in your post.

But yea, welcome to the wonderful world of evopsych.

I know.

But all "statistically significant" means in this context is that the gap is large enough given the sample size to discount the critique that it may be statistical noise (i.e. the possibility that you run the same test with the same sample size and get the exact opposite results).

None of that accounts for the fact that different genders might answer the same question differently and that, in any case, the numbers are close enough that they probably don't justify a whole evolutionary/sociological analysis considering that there'd be a hell of a lot of gender overlap in those results.

I know.

But all "statistically significant" means in this context is that the gap is large enough given the sample size to discount the critique that it may be statistical noise (i.e. the possibility that you run the same test with the same sample size and get the exact opposite results).

None of that accounts for the fact that different genders might answer the same question differently and that, in any case, the numbers are close enough that they probably don't justify a whole evolutionary/sociological analysis considering that there'd be a hell of a lot of gender overlap in those results.

Yea.

Would be cool to swap the numbers and present a new evolutionary explanation and see if anyone notices.

That doesn't apply to me from my personal experience. I'm broken and empty when I break up even if I can get laid easily with another girl. But as time passes I'm doing much better.

Not really. I think it depends upon the individual more than gender. I'm not surprised at the findings though since women are socialized to be more in touch with our feelings and to express our feelings more so we're more likely to recognize and admit 'weaker' feelings such as sadness and/or physical pain.

As with most evolutionary biology findings these results can be explained by socialization rather than evolution or biology.

sure because society has conditioned women to communicate better and express their feelings (even privately) while men have been conditioned to NOT show any feelings and be all macho about anything related to emotions... its very easy to predict who is going to do better emotionally and spiritually in the long run

I vote true.

At the end of a break-up it seems like it's the guy that wants the girl back way more than she wants him back... girls seem to move on a lot faster.

How many of you guys still think about some of your ex's... do you wish you could get back in a relationship with any of them?

Depends on who got dumped ffs

There is such thing as a mutual breakup but they're rare man

Back