True or False: Showtime Pettis is a very dangerous matchup for Tony coming back from surgery?

I say true. And I’m a big fan of both Tony and Pettis, two of my favorites at LW and any weightclass ever. Tony can get very sloppy on the feet. He tries a lot of unorthodox crazy things that leave him open for counters. He does not have sharp boxing which is what Anthony tends to struggle with.

Reminder—tony got put on iceskates by short notice Lando Vanatta who can’t seem to win a fight or drop anyone now (besides makdessi KO). Tony is a great pressure fighter but if he stays on the outside Pettis will get comfortable with body and head kicks.

Also, Pettis does not have to worry about getting LnP’d by Tony. Therefore, Pettis will be more comfortable and fluid on the feet. Even if Tony gains top control he will be constantly trying to drop elbows and transition, which leaves room for Pettis to create scrambles and submissions of his own.

The biggest x-factor is the injury and surgery Tony has rushed back from only 4 months ago. Like I said, I’m a huge fan of both guys and this is an MMA fans type of dream matchup IMO. I just think a lot of people are ruling out Anthony who has built his confidence back up after a great performance against Chiesa.

What do you guys think? I can’t wait for the matchup regardless of the outcome.
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>
If a pre injury tony shows up this fight will look like tony vs barboza bro . Except that showtime guard is no joke

Pettis will win this. Stand up wise, Pettis is a much better striker than tony, both have so-so boxing defense and good bjj. I think the injury could be a factor here because Tony is training after 4 months not counting the weird shit he did while recovering. I think Pettis wins mostly because he will use his kicks and being more accurate than Tony who likes to do unorthodox stuff that might cost him.

i have tony winning but pettis is legit and tony coming off injury is a concern for sure, could easily go to pettis. But assuming tony is healthy, he just has crazy heart and cardio and presses forward constantly. He wont allow pettis to get into a rhythm and on the ground tony has edge in both wrestling and jits. Should be good fight.

Pettis has little to no boxing by even MMA standards. Not to mention the lack of power in his hands. Only person he's legit rocked with his hands was an old Gilbert.
He hit Chiesa with a nasty body kick and then a punch right after which stunned Chiesa and led to the mat and eventual triangle choke

Back