True or False: Showtime Pettis is a very dangerous matchup for Tony coming back from surgery?

Njmma209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say true. And I’m a big fan of both Tony and Pettis, two of my favorites at LW and any weightclass ever. Tony can get very sloppy on the feet. He tries a lot of unorthodox crazy things that leave him open for counters. He does not have sharp boxing which is what Anthony tends to struggle with.

Reminder—tony got put on iceskates by short notice Lando Vanatta who can’t seem to win a fight or drop anyone now (besides makdessi KO). Tony is a great pressure fighter but if he stays on the outside Pettis will get comfortable with body and head kicks.

Also, Pettis does not have to worry about getting LnP’d by Tony. Therefore, Pettis will be more comfortable and fluid on the feet. Even if Tony gains top control he will be constantly trying to drop elbows and transition, which leaves room for Pettis to create scrambles and submissions of his own.

The biggest x-factor is the injury and surgery Tony has rushed back from only 4 months ago. Like I said, I’m a huge fan of both guys and this is an MMA fans type of dream matchup IMO. I just think a lot of people are ruling out Anthony who has built his confidence back up after a great performance against Chiesa.

What do you guys think? I can’t wait for the matchup regardless of the outcome.
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

No, Tony is the more dynamic striker, has the best snapdown in the game, his wrestling >>>>>, and actually has the pressure and chin to not let Pettis sit down and throw his kicks + punches. Pettis has never had great boxing, and Tony will not let him get his kicks off with the constant pressure.
Tony is sloppy to us the outsiders, but in there he must seem like a madman, and it seems to work.
But thats pre knee injury Tony.

It's tough for sure, great kicks and a super underrated ground game.

Pettis is not an easy fight for anyone. He is a threat to Tony for sure.

You can never tell which version of Pettis is going to show up, but it looks good on paper. I think Pettis is the better striker, but Tony will pressure him and that seems to be Anthony's weakness.

Agreed, that's a rough fight to come back to after knee surgery. especially with a kicker like Pettis

What a great fight to make out of nowhere, i really hope they make the walk.
Before the knee surgery id would say 60/40 for Tony, however we dont know how his knee will hold up so now Im 50/50.

I always thought these injuries take about a year to fully heal. Tony says hes ready now after 4 months? Who rhe hell knows now a days. Great fight.

I like both but I wouldn't bet on Pettis against any top 5 anymore.

He’s a threat but I would be absolutely shocked if he won...

Tony is ducking the rematch
Tony_Ferguson_Cords.png

And how typical of the UFC to make this fight instead of giving the title shot to Poirier who beat Pettis during his streak.

Well it does depend on if the injury effects Tony. People seem to be hung up the fact that Tony is supposedly rushing back from his injury. Not all knee injuries are the same. Tony tore his LCL, not ACL. His time table for recovery has been pretty on point actually, if not a little on the longer end, and he has indeed been cleared by a medical physician.

It’s MMA and anything can happen, so of course Pettis is a live dog and is dangerous. This is Tony’s fight to lose though. People bring up the Lando fight, in which Tony also took a different style opponent on short notice. But Tony has also walked through much better fighters than Lando.
I fully expect Tony to go out pressure heavy and put Pettis on his back foot, like he did to Barboza. He won’t sit at range where Pettis is best. If 100%, Tony is the best fighter Pettis has fought in years, outside of maybe Max. But yes, it would be unwise to underestimate a former champ like Pettis, and honestly I don’t think Tony will.

The worst match up for pettis is pressure fighters with high speed and endless cardio.

Who fit into that category?

images

Pretty bad matchup for Tony, imo.

Tony is extremely hittable and getting touched by a Pettis kick is not enjoyable.

Additionally, Pettis is beyond slick on the ground, so I don't see Tony beating him there.

Should be a fun fight, but I'm favoring Pettis.

It's weird because while Pettis would lose to most top LWs, Tony would beat nearly every single one.

As they say, styles make fights.

Ferguson is the best LW on the planet and will destroy Pettis.

I think it will look similar to Pettis vs Poirier. Not that Poirier and TFerg are nothing alike, but it well bloody and messy, and Tony will still be coming forward until Pettis crumbles and Tony finishes him

Back