True or false? - Montano vs Shevchenko will be a bigger mismatch than Esparza vs Joanna

At least Montano grew a scrotum and is going to fight and not give the belt away like Holland's coward GDR.

Carla and Joanna was only seen as a mismatch in retrospect, the Valentina fight looks like a mismatch before it happens.

I'm gonna say no. Actually the way Roxanne absolutely mauled the former best fighter in the division in her last fight makes me think Nicco is not getting enough credit for that win. Pretty much shut down Roxxy and walked away with 50-45, 50-45, 49-46 win.

You mean the delays caused by Montano's broken foot healing and her throat operation?
yes i believe that's it.
-- I'm not doubting the *validity* of these medical issues, just saying that the fight was delayed several times on account of them. The tonsilitis recovery period (thats the 2nd issue she had) is, as per multiple medical sources, only around 10days

Esparza was incredibly complacent and seemed utterly unprepared , I doubt the same will be true of Montano .

We have similar situations. Esparza won belt in TUF Finale 20 and Montano won in TUF 26. And now fight against true challanger.

What is your prediction? True or false? - Montano vs Shevchenko will be a bigger mismatch than Esparza vs Joanna?

In fight Joanna vs Esparza we had:
53 significant strikes Joanna, Esparza only 4
Esparza takedowns: 1 of 17
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/bd52e19f2fbefdde
Esparza wasn't a mismatch on paper. Without being champion, she could have been considered the #1 strawweight in the world.

Esparza was incredibly complacent and seemed utterly unprepared , I doubt the same will be true of Montano .
I agree. I think Esparza won a few fights a little too easily with her wrestling and didn't evolve herself.

I agree. I think Esparza won a few fights a little too easily with her wrestling and didn't evolve herself.
Yup. She was a bit of a one-trick pony, relying 90% on her wrestling. That'll get you so far.... but it won't help you if you simply cannot get you opponent down and JOanna's TDD was top-notch. She was also not in the greatest of shape and i did notice in her last fight vs Gadelha it was apparent she has worked hard and had less bodyfat and more lean muscle.

The days of being expert at ONE discipline and being able to be champion are largely over.

Yup. She was a bit of a one-trick pony, relying 90% on her wrestling. That'll get you so far.... but it won't help you if you simply cannot get you opponent down and JOanna's TDD was top-notch. She was also not in the greatest of shape and i did notice in her last fight vs Gadelha it was apparent she has worked hard and had less bodyfat and more lean muscle.

The days of being expert at ONE discipline and being able to be champion are largely over.
Khabib.

Khabib is just an exception, period! His wrestling / grappling / ground-and-pound / total control over opponents bodies on the ground is so impressive.
But... also in my view his standup is actually quite good. He stood with Al Iaquinta for a while and he's fine at standup. It's just that as he is famous for his ground-game - that kinda dominates his performances, but he can also stand and punch too. He was clipping Iaquinta ALL the time with his jab and he has good hooks and uppercuts too.

Logically we all know against a fast striker like Conor, the danger-area for Khabib is standing in front of Conor, so i doubt he's going to do that for more than 30seconds at a time. Every fight requires a specific game-plan on How To Win This One. McGregor IS a master at getting his opponents emotional and angry BEFORE the fight and that's exactly what he wants....... see the Aldo fight. They get angry, they rush in too hard too early and ....counter punch ends the fight.

Javier Mendez who will be doing the game-plan is too smart to let Khabib do that. I *think*....

yes i believe that's it.
-- I'm not doubting the *validity* of these medical issues, just saying that the fight was delayed several times on account of them. The tonsilitis recovery period (thats the 2nd issue she had) is, as per multiple medical sources, only around 10days

The foot injury continued past the tonsillitis. She had every right to want to properly train.

Back