True or false? - Montano vs Shevchenko will be a bigger mismatch than Esparza vs Joanna

Charnel2500

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
We have similar situations. Esparza won belt in TUF Finale 20 and Montano won in TUF 26. And now fight against true challanger.

What is your prediction? True or false? - Montano vs Shevchenko will be a bigger mismatch than Esparza vs Joanna?

In fight Joanna vs Esparza we had:
53 significant strikes Joanna, Esparza only 4
Esparza takedowns: 1 of 17
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/bd52e19f2fbefdde

False, Nico has more 2 sho...

Still goin down but time for time (period) think Nico has more.

???
Odds for Esparza/Jędrzejczyk
Carla: -185
Joanna: +140
Carla: grappler - pressure figher via takedowns
Joanna: striker - pressure fighter with takedown defence

Was Rose Namjunas not true challanger, lol? That's very controversial opinion.
Almost all experts were picking Carla.

I remember the Esparza v Joanna fight. That was a destruction.
Esparaza i think took a very short amount of time to realize she was about to get tuned up on the feet and constantly spammed increasingly desparate take-down attempts. Joanna's take-down defense is VERY impressive.
That was kinda at the start of the Joanna rail-road train and that fight really showcased her well.

This fight I think will be a dominant Shevchenko victory. I don't think it will be *quite* on the same level of domination as the Esparza fight but as they say, there is levels to this, and i think Nikko is about to find that out. Shevchenko is not only a Muay-Thai demon, she is also very strong on the ground -- remember she subbed Juliana Peña by arm-bar. Nobody saw that coming (the method of victory). Plus now Shevchenko is fighting at the correct weight. She was always a little bit small for Bantamweight but still had two strong fights against the MUCH bigger Amanda Nunes.

thinking about it, i think this will go to the ground early, and Shevchenko will unleash nasty ground-and-pound. Like the fight against Priscilla. Shevchenko i think not only wants to win BAD, she wants BLOOD and she wants to change Nikko's face a bit -- i can see that in her eyes and her mind-set. Brought up in Kyrgyzstan in the 1990's .....life in these states of the former Soviet Union was a very hard life and motivating i'd imagine.

Last edited:
Joanna wasn't highly regarded as Valentina was when she challenged for the belt and I think most people thought she lost against Claudia. Also Esparza was the Invicta champ and #1 seed on TUF so she was highly regarded before coming to the UFC whereas Montana was a nobody before winning TUF with still a terrible record. This is a bigger mismatch.

Esparza/Joanna wasn't seen as a mismatch before the event ..... Nicco/Shevchenko won't be seen as a mismatch after the event.

JJ and Esparza were both relatively on the same level resume wise coming into the fight.

Nicco is super green going against a battle tested fighter whose been in two championship fights that she narrowly lost in a higher weight class. At this point she's greener than Paige VanZant lol.

You might aswell be putting Artem Lobov in the same cage as Khabib.

Last edited:
Really, I dunna recall that - but amazing!
She was after fight where she was taken down like 7 times during 3 rounds, and many people thought she lost.

If you want to look for similarities, then Montano - Jedrzejczyk (not established mma fighters, Joanna had 8 fights back then, Nicco has 6), Esparza just like Valentina was established fighter with a lot of expierence -13 mma fights +3 from TUF.

People look for similarities to boost Shevchenko, but fact is Montano is closer to Jedrzejczyk's situation than Carla's.

Valentina is typically a counter-striker so who knows? Could be a massacre. Could be a dominant five-round point-fighting affair.

Valentina is typically a counter-striker so who knows? Could be a massacre. Could be a dominant five-round point-fighting affair.
I don't think this will go 5 rounds. I think Shevchenko is going to want to make a big statement and i think she'll do it via merciless ground-and-pound. There's a bit of a beef there, as Montano delayed multiple times this fight and i think Valentina is covering it up well, but she will want to make her pay for the delays and come in and smash her opponent. Expect something fairly nasty, big elbows to the face on the ground for as long as she can until the ref jumps in. That's the way i'm thinking this one goes.

I don't think Valentina will be *content* with a quick submission victory...........

You might aswell be putting Artem Lobov in the same cage as Khabib.
Khabib has only just won the title at least let him defend it against McGregor before he loses to the goat Artem..

I don't think this will go 5 rounds. I think Shevchenko is going to want to make a big statement and i think she'll do it via merciless ground-and-pound. There's a bit of a beef there, as Montano delayed multiple times this fight and i think Valentina is covering it up well, but she will want to make her pay for the delays and come in and smash her opponent. Expect something fairly nasty, big elbows to the face on the ground for as long as she can until the ref jumps in. That's the way i'm thinking this one goes.

I don't think Valentina will be *content* with a quick submission victory...........

You mean the delays caused by Montano's broken foot healing and her throat operation?

Esparza/Joanna wasn't seen as a mismatch before the event ..... Nicco/Shevchenko won't be seen as a mismatch after the event.

Well, we ll see but i dont see how your girl will avoid a total destruction

People look for similarities to boost Shevchenko, but fact is Montano is closer to Jedrzejczyk's situation than Carla's.

Let's hope, I want it to be competitive!

I was backing Nico during TUF but an obv. a Val favorite.

Let's hope, I want it to be competitive!

I was backing Nico during TUF but an obv. a Val favorite.

Yes that obvious, I hope some fighters will build their own legacy instead exploiting what other fighters done.

Yes that obvious, I hope some fighters will build their own legacy instead exploiting what other fighters done.

Good point but given how UFC and MMA fans in general given response or typical support I wouldn't bank on commonalities.

Back