True or False: Middleweight is the most stacked division in the UFC

You could really argue true if you take a mix of the fighters' collective talent and their ability to finish fights. I mean yeah I guess lower weight classes have talented fighters, but the KO threat goes way down the lighter you get. That's why I always have respect for heavyweight even if people say it's thin. Middleweight though... look at those guys: Weidman, Belfort, Romero, Jacare, Rockhold, Machida, Silva, and Mousasi. Nothing else compares when it comes to a weight class's top fighters.

Very steep drop in quality after the top 5.

stacked at the top for sure, the most elite fighters. LW & WW have more depth, but at the top they aren't as strong seeing as guys like Barboza, Green, Woodley and Brown would struggle to be in the MW top 10. Meanwhile Woodley's ranked at #4 at WW.

False. Lightweight is king of the shark tanks.

Where good fighters remain outside of the top 15, and the title rematches are few and far in between

Say what??

Edgar vs. Penn
Edgar vs. Maynard
Edgar vs. Bendo

And looking past rematches, Gilly Mel had two titleshots in a relatively short span ...

So if you're trying to say, it's so stacked that the same guys never fight and title losers never contend again, you're dead wrong.

Although this has more to do with UFC matchmaking than the actual talentpool.

The difference its that Mw has a great top ten, but ww and lw got killers from 20 to top ten, period

False. MW is only top heavy. Look below the top ten, and the quality of fighters drop off fast.

LW has absolute killers even in the top 20~30 range

not true

the top 10 is very stacked. But after that it drops off harshly.Lightweight for example is similarly stacked in the top10 but also runs much deeper with talent beyond that.

Silva was still champ well after the merger.

Even then people were calling it weak.

After Weidman wins, it's magically strong.

The division became stronger after the merger, regardless of who the champ was. The threat of Jacare and Rockhold was definitely there.

The main change that happened after weidman won was that you had a new p4p guy in the division, and then Machida also dropped down. Even romero entered the top 10 afterwards. Nothing magical about it. MW turned into a much heavier division when those things happened.

Silva was still champ well after the merger.

Even then people were calling it weak.

After Weidman wins, it's magically strong.

people started calling it strong as soon as the merger happened. Also upcoming new talent like Weidman obviously did its part as well.
Middleweight was undeniably weak for a very long time, I mean Mark Munoz was a top 5 guy please think about that for a minute...they were desperate to find a challenger for Anderson even as early as he was done beating Franklin for the second time. And that is not Anderson's fault of course just as it is not Weidman's that he is fighting in the golden age of the division. But it's the truth.

It's 3rd most stacked imo.

The "Anderson made it look weak" nonsense needs to stop. Rockhold, Jacare, Mousasi, Machida, Kennedy and Romero. That's the difference. How many of them has Anderson made look bad?

True or False

Sherdog will vehemently argue about almost anything.

I know lot of people label 155 as the most loaded division, but I really think MW is being underrated right now. Let's look at the Top 10 fighters at MW:

GOAT CM Punk
C. Chris Weidman
1. Anderson Silva
2. Jacare Souza
3. Lyoto Machida
4. Vitor Belfort
5. Luke Rockhold
6. Yoel Romero
7. Tim Kennedy
8. Gegard Mousasi
9. Michael Bisping
10. CB Dollaway

On top of that, Hendo is moving down to 185. And you also have good fighters in Mark Munoz, Brad Tavares, and Tim Boetsch in the 10-15 range.

On a different note, if Weidman can get through this murderers row (Rockhold, Belfort, Jacare, Romero, Mousasi, Machida again, perhaps Silva again), I truly think he will become the GOAT MW.

Corrected it for you.

I think MW is hotter than both WW and LW right now. Yeah, I would agree. That could change in a year or two.

This. WW and LW are definitely deeper if you consider the whole division but I think there is much more intrigue/exciting fighters in the top 10 at MW.

It was said that it was weak when Silva was champ.

Now that he's no longer champ, it's a "shark tank" as I've heard it called.

It wasn't said to be weak during his entire run, just part of it. WW was considered strong for pretty much GSP's entire run as well so it's not the case that a dominant champ changes the perception.

It was said that it was weak when Silva was champ.

Now that he's no longer champ, it's a "shark tank" as I've heard it called.

It's considered a shark tank because fromer LHW champ Machida dropped down & because Jacare, Rockhold, Romero, Mousasi and Kennedy came from Strikeforce. Now guys like Munoz are not top fighters, Boestch isn't ranked highly and only clueless idiots now think Michael Bisping is some kind of MW title contender. Unlike when Silva was champ. Have you been following the division or even the sport in general?

Back