True or False: Middleweight is the most stacked division in the UFC

PSX

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know lot of people label 155 as the most loaded division, but I really think MW is being underrated right now. Let's look at the Top 10 fighters at MW:

C. Chris Weidman
1. Anderson Silva
2. Jacare Souza
3. Lyoto Machida
4. Vitor Belfort
5. Luke Rockhold
6. Yoel Romero
7. Tim Kennedy
8. Gegard Mousasi
9. Michael Bisping
10. CB Dollaway

On top of that, Hendo is moving down to 185. And you also have good fighters in Mark Munoz, Brad Tavares, and Tim Boetsch in the 10-15 range.

On a different note, if Weidman can get through this murderers row (Rockhold, Belfort, Jacare, Romero, Mousasi, Machida again, perhaps Silva again), I truly think he will become the GOAT MW.

False.
It's always going to be LW or WW

False. It just seems that way because MW used to be so weak

Without a doubt, true IMO, especially right now and looking forward to this year.

What makes a division stacked?

Wasn't LHW considered stacked before Jones arrived?

If a division is full of guys who are equally skilled, then the division is stacked? What if they're all just equally shit?

To really understand why this isn't true, you have to look outside the top 10 and indeed, outside the UFC in general to judge how good that weight class really is, because it's not as if these guys just pop out from the middle of nowhere: they come from outside the UFC, even Anderson Silva, Georges St-Pierre, Jos

It was said that it was weak when Silva was champ.

Now that he's no longer champ, it's a "shark tank" as I've heard it called.

I think MW is hotter than both WW and LW right now. Yeah, I would agree. That could change in a year or two.

False. Far too top heavy with no real prospects tearing up the division. Any division where CB Dolloway is in the Top 10 is not stacked.

I'd argue that the top 5 could be better than any other top 5.

The depth of the rankings in FW LW and WW extends out of the top 15 though.

The top 10 looked a lot different during Silva's reign.

It might be most stacked in the top 5.

But FW/LW/WW will always win in depth.

What's the difference between a stacked division and a deep division?

Well how many of those guys did he beat? lol

It's better for sure than during Silva's reign but I still think WW/LW are probably the best.

False WW is where it's at.

However Lawler vs Hendrick III isn't doing the division any favors.

False. Lightweight is king of the shark tanks.

Where good fighters remain outside of the top 15, and the title rematches are few and far in between

In term of top talent in the top 10? 100%

False. When Silva was killing the division it was considered weak. LHW was considered very strong.

Now Jones is killing LHW. So all the LHW's jumped to middleweight and now its a "stacked" division.

Not when the number 1 contender is a 68 year old coming off a gruesome injury.

Back