True or False? Eating Mango Skin is Bad because it Contains Pesticide Residue

I thought mango skin or sap has allergens that make you itch.

Who doesn’t know to wash all fruit before eating it.

Pesticides, dirt, animal piss and that’s just a start.
I've seen some foods dried outdoors uncovered exposed to dust, bird shit, etc. Lots of uneducated people handling food.

I eat all fruits, skin on, without washing them. The insecticide helps keep the mosquitos away.

Wait, so you guys are saying that the only part of the fruit you eat is not just the skin?

Why would anyobody eat mango skin ? At least apple and pear skin is digestible.

upload_2019-8-14_4-54-45.jpeg

giphy.gif

We've come a long way from our grandparents surviving off of bread and water during the depression.

Every fruit that is being produced on massive scale has residue, some less some more. ....
^This.

For any mass productions its a sliding scale with organic fruits and veg being towards the lower end but still having residue.

Certain fruits and veggies are very prone to absorbing pesticide and holding it. Concentrations tend to be higher int he skins which are thicker and obvious in contact with the spray. Washing helps for residue on the surface but not that has been absorbed.

Spinach is known as well as a particularly bad pesticide absorber and its why if you eat a lot of spinach you should eat organic to minimize it.

I would bet this is a leading cause of cancers in humans long term due to build up.

rinse it with water before you eat it?

What about scrubbing it with a mild solution of water and dish washing liquid?
I scrub fruits with water or water+dish washing liquid solution.
Then rinse.

I like mango skin, especially from hard green sour mangos. I’m thinking pesticides on mango skin is probably easier to clean off with water than most fruits. The skin is pretty smooth.

Who doesn’t know to wash all fruit before eating it.

Pesticides, dirt, animal piss and that’s just a start.

Washing removes only the last recently applied pesticide residue. The bigger problem is all the pesticides absorbed by the plant during its growth phase much of which is trapped in the skins.

Well damn. I guess I’m going to stop eating mango skin. My wife and most people I know thinks it’s weird anyways.

Why in the holy fuck would you eat the skin of a mango? It's like saying "I've heard banana skins have pesticides on them, should I eat them?"

Regardless of pesticides, mango skins are not the part of the mango you want to eat.

This, even if totally unsprayed you don't eat the skin or the seed of the mango.

The skin actually contains various compounds produced by the mango itself to protect it from insects that can cause inflammation in humans, some people get reactions to touching or handling mango skin like it was poison ivy.

Washing removes only the last recently applied pesticide residue. The bigger problem is all the pesticides absorbed by the plant during its growth phase much of which is trapped in the skins.

Depends on what is used contact or systemic. Contact form a film which can be and is washed off. Including by rain and must be reapplied. Systemic is absorbed and cannot be washed off. The levels of systemic are supposed to be well below the safe level.

However @Farmer Br0wn would be able to give more details then I can.

True story,

The first time I had ever heard of a mango in my life I was a child watching an episode of The Jetsons..

They had gotten themselves stranded on some meteor or planet that only grew mangos on it..

So they were stranded on this Rock for months and all they had to eat were mangos.

I remember thinking what is a mango?

My parents had never bought us mangos as kids. Our supplies of fruit was the usual variety of apple, oranges and bananas..

Well, on this episode The Jetsons were stranded for so long that they got tired of just eating mangos in their native form. And decided to have their robot maid 'Rosie' make hundreds of different types of dishes out of mangos..

They had everything from mango steaks, cakes, spaghetti, sandwiches, soups, pizza, everything!

It got to the point that once the Jetsons finally were rescued they couldn't stand the site of mangos and vowed never to eat them again..

Of course, after this episode I demanded that we get some mangos next time we went to the grocery store..

That is how I came to have my first mango... Love the mangos just would not eat the skin due to texture issues.

You're welcome..

Depends on what is used contact or systemic. Contact form a film which can be and is washed off. Including by rain and must be reapplied. Systemic is absorbed and cannot be washed off. The levels of systemic are supposed to be well below the safe level.

However @Farmer Br0wn would be able to give more details then I can.
While it seems most pesticide residue does reside on the surface some 'contact' residue is absorbed at some levels thru the skin and roots. Particularly as its mixed with moisture.

There are tons of studies and lists like this and they always seem to have the same top offenders for highest levels of pesticide residue in testing with Spinach, Strawberries and Apples leading the pack.

The Dirty Dozen: 12 Foods That Are High in Pesticides

1. Strawberries: contained ten or more pesticide residues.
  2. Spinach: 97% of spinach samples contained pesticide residues, including permethrin, a neurotoxic insecticide that is highly toxic to animals
  3. Nectarines: The EWG detected residues in nearly 94% of nectarine samples, with one sample containing over 15 different pesticide residues.
  4. Apples: The EWG detected pesticide residues in 90% of apple samples. What’s more, 80% of the apples tested contained traces of diphenylamine, a pesticide banned in Europe
  5. Grapes: 96% testing positive for pesticide residues.
  6. Peaches: Over 99% of the peaches tested by the EWG contained an average of four pesticide residues.
  7. Cherries: The EWG detected an average of five pesticide residues on cherry samples, including a pesticide called iprodione, which is banned in Europe
  8. Pears: Over 50% of pears tested by the EWG contained residues from five or more pesticides.
  9. Tomatoes: Four pesticide residues were found on the conventionally grown tomato.
  10. Celery: Pesticide residues were found on over 95% of celery samples. As many as 13 different types of pesticides were detected.
  11. Potatoes: Potato samples contained more pesticide residues by weight than any other crop tested.
  12. Sweet bell peppers: pesticides used on sweet bell peppers “tend to be more toxic to human health.”

SUMMARY:
Scrubbing produce under cold water, washing with a baking soda solution or peeling are all excellent ways to reduce pesticide residues on fruits and vegetables.

I keep hearing this about Mangoes.
People say that mango skins contain pesticide residue, so therefore you shouldn't eat it.

But if this was true, couldn't the same thing be said about Apples, Peaches, & Pears?

False.

Also, produce that was brought to Market without pesticides has a much higher chance of having insect damage, therefore the produce will contain a much higher likelihood of insect pathogens. Pathogens are now a known link to cancer.

I recommend people not drink the metaphorical organic Kool-Aid. It's not the "health superfood" it's been marketed as for the last 25 years.

Farmers don't just use pesticides to protect our bottom line, it's to protect the safety and integrity of the product we're bringing to market.

While it seems most pesticide residue does reside on the surface some 'contact' residue is absorbed at some levels thru the skin and roots. Particularly as its mixed with moisture.

There are tons of studies and lists like this and they always seem to have the same top offenders for highest levels of pesticide residue in testing with Spinach, Strawberries and Apples leading the pack.

The Dirty Dozen: 12 Foods That Are High in Pesticides

• Strawberries: contained ten or more pesticide residues.
    • Spinach: 97% of spinach samples contained pesticide residues, including permethrin, a neurotoxic insecticide that is highly toxic to animals
    • Nectarines: The EWG detected residues in nearly 94% of nectarine samples, with one sample containing over 15 different pesticide residues.
    • Apples: The EWG detected pesticide residues in 90% of apple samples. What’s more, 80% of the apples tested contained traces of diphenylamine, a pesticide banned in Europe
    • Grapes: 96% testing positive for pesticide residues.
    • Peaches: Over 99% of the peaches tested by the EWG contained an average of four pesticide residues.
    • Cherries: The EWG detected an average of five pesticide residues on cherry samples, including a pesticide called iprodione, which is banned in Europe
    • Pears: Over 50% of pears tested by the EWG contained residues from five or more pesticides.
    • Tomatoes: Four pesticide residues were found on the conventionally grown tomato.
    • Celery: Pesticide residues were found on over 95% of celery samples. As many as 13 different types of pesticides were detected.
    • Potatoes: Potato samples contained more pesticide residues by weight than any other crop tested.
    • Sweet bell peppers: pesticides used on sweet bell peppers “tend to be more toxic to human health.”
SUMMARY:
Scrubbing produce under cold water, washing with a baking soda solution or peeling are all excellent ways to reduce pesticide residues on fruits and vegetables.

Just FYI, the EWG is an anti-conventional farming methods organization.

They seemingly oppose anything that would help a conventional (a.k.a. non organic) farmer.

Searching for residues pre vs. post Harvest are going to give you two entirely different results. By the time most crops make it to market, the chemical residues left in them are so small that it's measured in parts per billion if it even exists at all. This happens in a process very similar to your body gaining the positive effects from and then later breaking down medication. Over a long enough period of time there's no traces of that medication anywhere left in your body. Plant life treats chemical exposure in much the same way.

Back