True Main Events

Islam Imamate

Master of sports in Moderation.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
In the wake of all the complaints about the Rousey fight headlining over Machida/Hendo, lets think back to other times when you were more excited for a fight that wasn't the main event. Doesn't have to be a co main event, just any other fight besides the main event. Some of my own examples

Diaz vs Cerrone over Brock vs Overeem at UFC 141

Sonnen vs Bisping over Rashad vs Davis at UFC on Fox 2

Koscheck vs Rumble over Griffin vs Ortiz 2 at UFC 106

Penn vs Hughes 3 over Machida vs Rampage at UFC 123(though I was also very excited for the main event as well)

Rampage Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva III over Rashad Evans vs. Forrest Griffin on the UFC 92 Card. I was so amped for that rematch, it was the true main event for me.

UFC 129

Aldo vs Hominick - I was very excited for this fight and it really was a great fight!

UFC 132

Wand vs Leben

UFC 136

Aldo vs Florian

Chuck-Wand. Might have been the co-main event with GSP-Hughes 3 though.

Penn/macdonald over bendo/diaz
That was until BJ lost and then I locked myself in my room and cried myself to sleep.over.the butthurt

UFC 129

Aldo vs Hominick - I was very excited for this fight and it really was a great fight!

UFC 132

Wand vs Leben

UFC 136

Aldo vs Florian

Let me guess, an Aldo fan?

In the wake of all the complaints about the Rousey fight headlining over Machida/Hendo, lets think back to other times when you were more excited for a fight that wasn't the main event. Doesn't have to be a co main event, just any other fight besides the main event. Some of my own examples

Diaz vs Cerrone over Brock vs Overeem at UFC 141

Sonnen vs Bisping over Rashad vs Davis at UFC on Fox 2

Koscheck vs Rumble over Griffin vs Ortiz 2 at UFC 106

Penn vs Hughes 3 over Machida vs Rampage at UFC 123(though I was also very excited for the main event as well)

Liddell vs Wanderlei when it was GSP vs Hughes 2 at UFC 79

Fuck, I wish that fight went 5 rounds

Frankie-BJ over Silva-Maia at 112

Sherk-Franca at 73

Hughes-Trigg 2 at 52

Shogun vs Alexander at Fox

i think bisping vs hendo for UFC 100 because of the hype from TUF and also because of the spectacular way in which it ended. plus if you think about it peoples minds may have been taken off of Lesnars antics if that fight had been co-main instead.

I can understand if you were more excited for Diaz-Cerrone, but do you feel it was the true main event as per your thread title?

The title is somewhat misleading in that sense. Yes, I understood that two of the most popular HWs should naturally headline over LWs but personally, it was the fight I was looking forward too. Its not unlike how I understand that non title fights should never headline over title fights but I'm still more excited for Hendo/Machida than I am for the Rousey fight

Back