TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3 Discussion

I honestly don't get the whole Ali love. He can only do one thing - confused black man face with painful hemorrhoids. Literally 80% of his acting is him looking like that.

I honestly don't get the whole Ali love. He can only do one thing - confused black man face with painful hemorrhoids. Literally 80% of his acting is him looking like that.

He's alright. Best actor on the show. But the cast and acting in general is highly overrated this season.

Old man Dorff shedding tears was some good acting. That was a good scene in general. Episodes 4 and 5 have been a little slow though... other than those guys getting straight merked by Indian dude. That claymore!

Lyrics to Purple Haze:

Purple Haze was in my brain,
lately things don't seem the same,
actin' funny but I don't know why
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Purple Haze all around,
don't know if I'm coming up or down.
Am I happy or in misery?
Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me.

Purple Haze was in my eyes,
don't know if it's day or night,
you've got me blowing, blowing my mind
is it tomorrow or just the end of time?

His nickname has a nod toward his Alzheimer's, and possibly the whole multiple timelines happening at once as shown in the last episode (last line of the song)

Now for conspiracy time: there is a commonly misheard lyric at the end of the first verse, many have heard "Scuse me while I kiss this guy," also, second last line "you've got me blowing." Combined with Ali's descriptions of prison rape and even Dorff's acknowledgement of it can only lead me to conclude that the reason Dorff is mad is because Ali made a pass at him, or even possibly, took him by force in 1990.

Scoot McNairy is in this season. He is the new Sean Bean.

What are the odds something happens to his him?

giphy.gif

fargo-ac.gif
Lol. The air conditioner scene had me roaring.

Dorff is fantastic in this, I'm shocked at how good he is. The 2015 scene at the end of the last episode got me a little glassy eyed. Great season.

This Pizzalotto guy better not be allowed to right another script for the rest of his life.
His dialogue is so pretentious and clunky its unbearable.

Dorf is the only good part of this show.
FrighteningMajorIslandwhistler-size_restricted.gif

Dorff is fantastic in this, I'm shocked at how good he is. The 2015 scene at the end of the last episode got me a little glassy eyed. Great season.

Dorff and Ali are both killing it in my opinion. Only difference is that Ali is currently everywhere and Dorff has been MIA the past few years as far as I can tell, so I'm hoping that this leads to a career resurgence for him.

Mahershala is the man. Between Green Book and this, I've really been enjoying his work of late.

This Pizzalotto guy better not be allowed to right another script for the rest of his life.
His dialogue is so pretentious and clunky its unbearable.

Dorf is the only good part of this show.
FrighteningMajorIslandwhistler-size_restricted.gif

lol

See I actually think the dialogue only gets pretentious in certain scenes. Otherwise, I think this season has stuck to a pretty straightforward style of verbal exchanges between characters. I look at the scene from last episode where Ali and Egojo went to visit Dorff and his girlfriend at their place. Seemed just like a natural ribbing between friends when he brought up marriage and Dorff fired back at him for doing so.

I think it's more of the moments of waxing philosophical rather than the more naturalistic stuff that comes across poorly but I find there's less of it than expected.

Lyrics to Purple Haze:

Purple Haze was in my brain,
lately things don't seem the same,
actin' funny but I don't know why
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Purple Haze all around,
don't know if I'm coming up or down.
Am I happy or in misery?
Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me.

Purple Haze was in my eyes,
don't know if it's day or night,
you've got me blowing, blowing my mind
is it tomorrow or just the end of time?

His nickname has a nod toward his Alzheimer's, and possibly the whole multiple timelines happening at once as shown in the last episode (last line of the song)

Now for conspiracy time: there is a commonly misheard lyric at the end of the first verse, many have heard "Scuse me while I kiss this guy," also, second last line "you've got me blowing." Combined with Ali's descriptions of prison rape and even Dorff's acknowledgement of it can only lead me to conclude that the reason Dorff is mad is because Ali made a pass at him, or even possibly, took him by force in 1990.

Interesting.

I'm actually wondering-
given the way that they made a point of highlighting that Scoot's character was going to gay bars and that the cop turned security expert who disappeared in 1990 gives Ali a looking over and compliments his body if something was going on between McNairy and him (him being the officer that found the backpack at Woodard's place). I don't know what the upshot would be. Planting the backpack clearly seems like an effort to protect someone. McNairy was clearly worried about what his wife's cousin was going to tell the cops.

The dude with the cataract (from this episode not Sam Whitehead) clearly seemed to be trying to learn the whereabouts of Julie Purcell by showing up to Carmen's book signing.

Feel like multiple people are involved in this but I certainly cannot piece it together yet.

This was the best episode so far imo. Finally gave some answers and gave an idea of where this is going.

Also, both actors are doing a good job but I don't get the “killing it” talk. MM and WH killed it. These guys are a few levels below them imo.

lol

See I actually think the dialogue only gets pretentious in certain scenes. Otherwise, I think this season has stuck to a pretty straightforward style of verbal exchanges between characters. I look at the scene from last episode where Ali and Egojo went to visit Dorff and his girlfriend at their place. Seemed just like a natural ribbing between friends when he brought up marriage and Dorff fired back at him for doing so.

I think it's more of the moments of waxing philosophical rather than the more naturalistic stuff that comes across poorly but I find there's less of it than expected.
People don't talk like this irl. 90% of the dialogue is perfectly thought out and delivered in as few words as possible.
And who is directing them to speak in such quite stoic tones? The last 2 seasons have been like that. Its like he's trying to make every character Rust Cohle. Dorff is the combo-breaker which is why he is the shining light in this (the girls daughter is good too - he was excellent in Halt and Catch Fire.

People don't talk like this irl. 90% of the dialogue is perfectly thought out and delivered in as few words as possible.
And who is directing them to speak in such quite stoic tones? The last 2 seasons have been like that. Its like he's trying to make every character Rust Cohle. Dorff is the combo-breaker which is why he is the shining light in this (the girls daughter is good too - he was excellent in Halt and Catch Fire.

haha. Good call on the stoic element.

I never saw Halt and Catch Fire but I'm interested...

Scoot McNairy is a great character actor. I do wonder why his acting name is Scoot though. I almost feel like you're limiting yourself. You're not going to be a leading man called Scoot.

So I guess it's safe to say the dad isn't going to make it out of that room?

Here's hoping 3 gets better. S2 was a downer partly due to S1 being so good. But over time, I think S1 is spectacularly overrated considering how it ended. Maybe S1 is the Usual Suspects but backwards.
How so? I watched it twice within 6 months. That was a first.

So the mom sold the daughter to the chicken billionaire as a replacement for his granddaughter - her son accidentally got caught up in the deal and got killed. Powers at be cover it up to protect the rich guy. Wayne may have figured some of that out but could've forgotten major details about it.

Would be funny if nik pizzollato was a conspiracy nut and the twist is that daughter end up as some sort of concubine for Bill Clinton - considering it takes place in Arkansas and the DA has a connection with him

There must be something else at stake in 2015. I don't want to believe the story ends with the resolution of chickengate. That would be boring. Pizzaman is better than that.

I hope it ends up being Merhershsla wife as the person behind it all ....... her acting has been so terrible maybe there was a point to her sounding so detached.

This season has sucked monkey balls. I keep watching it waiting for more and it never happens.

Back