Economy Trudeau upset with Biden over keystone pipeline

You seem to have a pulse on this somewhat. Do you happen to know why it's under construction for over a decade at this point? I mean, is most of it already built and functioning or is it really all just still being worked on after all this time? And if so, is it on the original schedule that was expected?

The Keystone XL project is massively behind schedule, only about 25% of it is completed, and thus nowhere near being operational.

Originally proposed in 2008 and projected to be completed by 2012 for $7 Billion, it then immediately spent years after years tangled up in various legal and political battles with property owners, environmentalists, and politicians alike. Most Canadian thought it was dead when Obama vetoed it during his presidency, until Trump resuscitated its corpse, and now Biden shot it again in the head.

It's entirely expected, really. New oil pipelines are nearly impossible to be built these days due to environmental/political reasons, even though they are still necessary and economical for the time being. Much like nuclear power plants.

TC Energy (TransCanada) will probably write it off as a loss and the 300 miles or so of steel pipelines that has been built (out of 1,179 miles) during the few brief moments of reprieve it had over the last decade are probably going be dismantled and sold for scrap. With every passing year, the values of the project decreases, and it make little sense to try and revive this project 4 years from now, as oil prices will continue to slip each year with more and more electric cars on the road. That's also the same reason why Canada chose to sell their crude at half-price to the U.S rather than spend a minimum of $10 Billions to build a refinery in Canada capable of handling Albertan tar sands now: they wouldn't be able to recoup the investment this late in the game.

Here are some key dates throughout its time in purgatory. I think Canada burnt nearly $2 Billion into it between 2008 up to the moment Biden made the announcement to kill it again in 2021 - about $1 Billion of which were invested by Albertan taxpayers, so it's understandably that they are upset.

Trudeau may describe it as a "gut punch" by Biden, but the writing has been on the wall for a long time now though.

Anyhow, it's back to the old/leaky/overpressurized Keystone 1 pipes we go, because the Canadian bitumens still must flow. Afterall, our advanced multi-billion dollars oil refineries in the Midwest and Gulf Coast were built years ago specifically so they could refine ANY type of oil efficiently and cheaply, including the heavily-discounted Canadian heavy sour crude from Alberta that Canada couldn't refine themselves and sell to us at half-price.

Last edited:
The harper years were terrible.
I had so much more $ in my pocket in those years. Guided us out of a brutal recession that we didn't even really notice (thanks to oil). Great years to be canadian.

I had so much more $ in my pocket in those years. Guided us out of a brutal recession that we didn't even really notice (thanks to oil). Great years to be canadian.

Yeah taxes are so different now...

<LikeReally5>

Didn't say taxes did i fuckstick. I lost the childcare benefit overnight. And then there's the carbon tax. Now i said tax. Fuck liberals are stupid.

I'm not a liberal.

If the carbon tax is breaking your bank you've got other problems.

I'm not a liberal.

If the carbon tax is breaking your bank you've got other problems.

Holy fuck. I quit. I'd tell you to re-read the posts cause i never said fuck-all about broken bank, but i know you wouldn't. "More money" in my pocket does not mean i'm broke. You sure sound liberal. I guess people with a bit of money can afford to give it to the government to piss away.

Because I'm not a retard.

map-pipeline-large-North-America.jpg
Ironically this isn't far off of the map or pipelines that hang in the ENBRIDGE offices

You brought up heating houses. How do you plan to do that with Crude oil? You have no answer. Trust me, you are out of your league here.
Electric heaters. Powered by the solar panels getting put on my roof. Or at least thats what my wife is telling me.

The Keystone XL project is massively behind schedule, only about 25% of it is completed, and thus nowhere near being operational.

Originally proposed in 2008 and projected to be completed by 2012 for $7 Billion, it then immediately spent years after years tangled up in various legal and political battles with property owners, environmentalists, and politicians alike. Most Canadian thought it was dead when Obama vetoed it during his presidency, until Trump resuscitated its corpse, and now Biden shot it again in the head.

It's entirely expected, really. New oil pipelines are nearly impossible to be built these days due to environmental/political reasons, even though they are still necessary and economical for the time being. Much like nuclear power plants.

TC Energy (TransCanada) will probably write it off as a loss and the 300 miles or so of steel pipelines that has been built (out of 1,179 miles) during the few brief moments of reprieve it had over the last decade are probably going be dismantled and sold for scrap. With every passing year, the values of the project decreases, and it make little sense to try and revive this project 4 years from now, as oil prices will continue to slip each year with more and more electric cars on the road. That's also the same reason why Canada chose to sell their crude at half-price to the U.S rather than spend a minimum of $10 Billions to build a refinery in Canada capable of handling Albertan tar sands now: they wouldn't be able to recoup the investment this late in the game.

Here are some key dates throughout its time in purgatory. I think Canada burnt nearly $2 Billion into it between 2008 up to the moment Biden made the announcement to kill it again in 2021 - about $1 Billion of which were invested by Albertan taxpayers, so it's understandably that they are upset.

Trudeau may describe it as a "gut punch" by Biden, but the writing has been on the wall for a long time now though.

Anyhow, it's back to the old/leaky/overpressurized Keystone 1 pipes we go, because the Canadian bitumens still must flow. Afterall, our advanced multi-billion dollars oil refineries in the Midwest and Gulf Coast were built years ago specifically so they could refine ANY type of oil efficiently and cheaply, including the heavily-discounted Canadian heavy sour crude from Alberta that Canada couldn't refine themselves and sell to us at half-price.

Off shore oil we need to phase out as well. It is destroying earth

From what I can see, TC Energy is based out of Canada and the only company named as losing jobs.

So America first suddenly isn't good enough. Man, that's crazy as hell lmao.

Shipping oil via pipe is safer and more efficient.

By rail is dirty, dangerous and horrible for the environment.

I thought you guys were the science people.

00canada-train1-superJumbo.jpg

yeah america first ... let them deal with the environmental disasters waiting to happen... your "arguments" are that of a 10yr old child ... even my 16yr old has a better grasp on this subject

Shipping oil via pipe is safer and more efficient.

By rail is dirty, dangerous and horrible for the environment.

I thought you guys were the science people.

00canada-train1-superJumbo.jpg

and cancelling the pipeline and going forward with clean energy like solar and wind will create 5x more jobs than the pipeline ever would and reduce our dependency on outdated fossil fuels

but yeah ... trains bad

Manchin calls on Biden to restore Keystone XL pipeline
November 24, 2021​

Centrist Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) is calling on President Biden to restore the Keystone XL pipeline as gas prices across the country rise.

"I continue to call on President Biden to responsibly increase energy production here at home and to reverse course to allow the Keystone XL pipeline to be built which would have provided our country with up to 900,000 barrels of oil per day from Canada, one of our closest allies," Manchin said in a Tuesday statement.

"To be clear, this is about American energy independence and the fact that hard-working Americans should not depend on foreign actors, like OPEC+, for our energy security and instead focus on the real challenges facing our country's future," he added, referring to the group of major oil-producing countries.

Manchin's call for action came shortly after the Biden administration announced a plan on Tuesday to release 50 million barrels of oil from the nation's Strategic Petroleum Reserve in order to curb rising gas prices, the news outlet noted.

In February, Manchin reportedly sided with Republicans who urged Biden to rethink canceling a permit for the pipeline, arguing that pipelines across the country "continue to be the safest mode to transport our oil and natural gas resources, and they support thousands of high-paying, American union jobs.″

Manchin also addressed the issue of inflation in the country last week, mentioning his belief that the Democrats' Build Back Better Act, which was recently passed by the House and will be taken up in the Senate, would not help lower prices.

"The cost they see every day. And every day they go to fill up is a dollar and a quarter more a gallon," he said of rising gas prices at the time. "Three twenty-nine, $3.39."

"A gallon of milk is now $4 in many places. It's taking a toll. And I hear it when I go to the grocery store or if I go to the gas station. They say, 'Are you as mad as I am?' and I say, 'Absolutely,' " Manchin continued.

Biden has expressed his views on ending American dependence on fossil fuel.

"This is the decade that will determine the answer. This decade," he said during an international climate summit earlier this month, The Gazette noted. "The science is clear: We only have a brief window left before us to raise our ambitions and ... to meet the task that's rapidly narrowing."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...-on-biden-to-restore-keystone-xl-pipeline?amp

That oil would just be exported and is of no use to the US. Maybe look into the change in law that occurred that allows oil companies to export unrefined oil from America which was illegal beforehand. Now because of the lack of energy policy, the US is exporting unrefined oil while at the same time they are importing unrefined oil.

And what’s he or Canada gonna do about it?

Holy fuck. I quit. I'd tell you to re-read the posts cause i never said fuck-all about broken bank, but i know you wouldn't. "More money" in my pocket does not mean i'm broke. You sure sound liberal. I guess people with a bit of money can afford to give it to the government to piss away.
He’s a fucking lib absolutely no doubt proclaims otherwise in almost every post, I’m glad his pep squad officer dipshit finally got shown the door too.

That oil would just be exported and is of no use to the US. Maybe look into the change in law that occurred that allows oil companies to export unrefined oil from America which was illegal beforehand. Now because of the lack of energy policy, the US is exporting unrefined oil while at the same time they are importing unrefined oil.
Often times the exported crude can’t be refined in the USA. They are basically swapping crude as usually the heavy sulphuric crises are defined in east and Southern Asia. While the lighter crudes are refined in the USA

Back