Economy Trudeau upset with Biden over keystone pipeline

We like Trudeau now on Sherdog.
Trudeau's National Energy Board greenhouse gas regulations that got Energy East cancelled is still a bigger travesty than the cancellation of Keystone XL. With a conservative government in Ontario, I think it would be good to revisit those regulations and get pipeline built, first to Thunder Bay and then to Cornwall. Tankers can take the oil from Cornwall until Quebec politicians get with the program. Trudeau did accomplish getting the oil selling to the US obligation out of NAFTA, so it's a head-scratcher that continuing to sell oil to the US at a discount is still the priority.

Yeah, and we're already buying it without the pipeline.

Did you just skipped right over @Rod1 's post on the condition of the current pipelines that we use to transport Canadian oil? Scratch that, do you even know anything at all about this subject matter? o_O

Which is better for America: switching to a newer and better pipeline and impose higher operation standards on it, or completely relying on the older ones that's currently leaking like a sieve?

If the new KXL pipeline is scrapped and that 800,000 bpd capacity is lost, Canada must find other ways to transport their supplies from the source to the refineries, either by trucks, rails, or try to pump more and more into the old leaky pipes that yet still being expanded more and more to keep up with the demands. It's just simple math.

Enviromentalists on both sides of the borders are cheering for the KXL's demise, but what they can expect from all this is even more headlines on major oil leaks from the older pipes, and potentitally more disasters with traffic accidents involving tanker trucks and trains. Is THAT really good thing for America? For Canada? For the environment?

It's a new year, time to finally start learning what Rationality is and adjust your posting accordingly. You could actually make sense sometimes if you weren't so addicted to being such a partisan loon.

Something that is mutually-beneficial to both countries IS a good thing. The only argument here is environmental, not economics, and the choices here is either using a brand-new pipe or the leaky old pipes.

Spare me the bargaining from the party of tariffs.

That's your most "rational" rebuttal after your ignorant argument for leaky old pipelines over newer one got eviscerated?

New year, same Shit Poster. Keep talking about things you know nothing about and you'll be sure to be a front-runner for that WR Shit Poster of the Year Award again.

Last edited:
yeah, those "clean fuel" tar sands
2000.jpg

1d666466cb3d6bf87ad0728b0e7f5d23.jpg
Why exactly do you think they will stop gathering this oil without a pipeline?

- Despite their similar names, Keystone 1 and Keystone XL are two entirely separate pipelines. One is in use for over a decade, the other is still under construction.

Yeah my bad.

- OPEC is neutered because we no longer depends on their product, and a big part of that is thanks to dirt-cheap Albertan tar sands and Permian shale, and we should keep it that way until the transistion to electric cars.

OPEC is fucked because they cant control the price of oil, and since they cant control the price of oil, its members see no benefit in cutting down production which in turn kills the incentive to do so.

That's your most "rational" rebuttal after your ignorant argument for leaky old pipelines over newer one got eviscerated?

New year, same Shit Poster. Keep talking about things you know nothing about and you'll be sure to be a front-runner for that WR Shit Poster of the Year Award again.

Yeah it your bargaining makes zero sense after you've supported tariffing our neighbors for no reason for the past four year. You don't actually give a shit about anyone else except your tribal bias.

It doesn't take any incredibly effort on my part to cut through your bullshit.

It's too bad Biden nixed this. We will be more dependent on foreign oil.

I think that's the whole point.

The foreign countries hated it when Trump made it so we were not dependent on their oil....now we're going to go back to being at their mercy like the Cuck the Democrats want this Country to be.

Trudeau's National Energy Board greenhouse gas regulations that got Energy East cancelled is still a bigger travesty than the cancellation of Keystone XL. With a conservative government in Ontario, I think it would be good to revisit those regulations and get pipeline built, first to Thunder Bay and then to Cornwall. Tankers can take the oil from Cornwall until Quebec politicians get with the program. Trudeau did accomplish getting the oil selling to the US obligation out of NAFTA, so it's a head-scratcher that continuing to sell oil to the US at a discount is still the priority.

From what I understand the cost to produce oil in Canada is a lot cheaper than it is to transport it so it's no surprise why they wanted the keystone pipe line. I would imagine if they increased the price of oil to the US it would be less attractive for potential US corporations who will need to commit billions into construction and whatever it cost to lobby at both the local and federal level.

Biden is making the US a laughing stock on the world stage. Why would any country do business with the US when we reneg on our deals and promises at the drop of a dime?

True, of course, but the reality on this particular deal is that the Albertan government played a stupid and wildly expensive game and won a stupid and wildly expensive prize.

From what I can see, TC Energy is based out of Canada and the only company named as losing jobs.

So America first suddenly isn't good enough. Man, that's crazy as hell lmao.
I personally know americans that lost jobs because of this.
It wasn't just Canadians.

The 875-mile pipeline would carry a heavy crude oil mixture from Western Canada to Steele City, Neb., where it would connect with another leg stretching to Gulf Coast refineries.

Biden’s order revokes the permit that was granted March 29, 2019, by then-President Donald Trump on the grounds that it is harmful to the environment.

These are the facts

From what I understand the cost to produce oil in Canada is a lot cheaper than it is to transport it so it's no surprise why they wanted the keystone pipe line. I would imagine if they increased the price of oil to the US it would be less attractive for potential US corporations who will need to commit billions into construction and whatever it cost to lobby at both the local and federal level.

Naw. Canadian (Alberton) oil costs and crazy amount to produce. They literally squeeze and flush the oil out of the dirt. There's no profit in it except when prices are high. Trouble is, there's no room left for any significant reduction in the costs of production, so they are attempting to shave it from every other point in the chain.

I think the best option for Canada is to have the option of sending the oil to multiple ports, so that multiple bids can be entertained, and the oil can be sold to the highest bidder. The present pipeline network favors one bidder country, the US, and the bidders there know it. Also, trans-Canada pipelines create employment opportunities for Canadians from many provinces. I would like to see Canadians united by Canada's number one industry instead of divided by it.

Expect China to help build a refinery in Alberta. China Joe is just paying off his owners.

After listening to the way these people talk over the years I am amused by this decision and backlash. Fuck ‘em.

Yeah my bad.

Here's a related headline. The older Keystone 1 pipes are leaking like a sieve because they have been overburdened for years now. In order to move more oil in the same pipes, TransCanada asked for and was given permission to add more pumps, which increased the pressure inside the pipes higher than the standard limit.

And everyone knows what happen to a hose/pipe when more liquids are forced through it than the standard amount.

Rare permit for Keystone oil pipeline in spotlight after spills
By Devika Krishna Kumar and Laila Kearney | NOV 8, 2019

r

The massive Keystone pipeline has been transporting oil from Canada to the United States at a higher-than-standard level of pressure since it started operating in 2010, thanks to a special permit granted by U.S. regulators on the condition operator TC Energy Corp (TRP.TO) would monitor the line closely.

However, after four significant leaks, including one of the largest of the decade in North Dakota last week, this exemption is in the spotlight and users of the line are concerned it may be at risk.

The coveted permit granted in 2007 allowed TC Energy, then known as TransCanada, to use a higher-than-standard rate of pressure for Keystone in rural areas, according to U.S. regulatory documents reviewed by Reuters, meaning more oil could flow through the pipeline than similar-sized U.S. lines.

Keystone is a crucial artery for crude oil flowing from Canada with a capacity of roughly 590,000 barrels per day going to Midwest refiners and connecting to storage terminals and exporters in the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Keystone had to agree to more than 50 safety conditions to receive the exemption - given out only twice since by the U.S. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).

Around the time the permit was granted, risk assessments the company provided to regulators indicated the chance of a leak of more than 50 barrels to be "not more than once every seven to 11 years over the entire length of the pipeline in the United States." (tinyurl.com/y2vb7lyc)

Instead, over the past decade Keystone has had two leaks of 400 barrels and two leaks of several thousand, including the spill of more than 9,000 barrels last week, according to PHMSA data.

TC Energy estimates the pipeline can be partially restarted between Sunday and Tuesday, pending regulatory approval, shippers on the line said on Thursday.

TC Energy spokesman Terry Cunha declined to comment on the timing. He said the company has operated under high maintenance and safety standards.

"We take great care in the planning, design, construction and safe operation of our energy infrastructure," Cunha said in an email.

PHMSA declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigation into the spill, the cause of which is still not known.

CRUCIAL ARTERY

The special permit for the line is meant to remain in effect for the life of the pipeline unless suspended, modified or terminated by the agency.

Some shippers now believe regulators may revoke the permit, which allows TC Energy to run the pipeline at an operating stress level of 80 percent of the steel pipe's specified minimum yield strength (SMYS) in rural areas. The normal operating pressure for hazardous liquid pipelines is about 72 percent, according to PHMSA.

"(I'm) concerned they may get their special permit to flow at 80% of max instead of 72% suspended," one Keystone shipper said, citing "three spills in three years."

The shipper asked not to be named because they are not authorized to speak to the media.

The North Dakota spill has also added to the concerns of landowners and environmental groups who oppose TC Energy's plan for Keystone XL, another large pipeline from Canada to the United States.

The project, which has faced a long regulatory battle in the United States, was revived by U.S. President Donald Trump shortly after he took office, but continues to face opposition from landowners worried about pipeline safety.

TC Energy executives have in the past said construction standards would exceed other pipes.

"These permits should not be granted, but certainly not to acompany with repeated safety failures and frequent spills," said Brian Jorde, an attorney for Nebraska landowners fighting Keystone XL.

"Granting of these permits are supposed to correspond with more vigorous inspections and more frequent inspections by the applicant, but in reality, it is more self-policing which typically falls below the intent of the special permit," Jorde said.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1XI0L0
---

There are 3 realistic choices here:

1) Continue to overload the old/overpressurized/leaking Keystone 1 pipeline for years to come. (This is the default option that a lot of people are supporting, though they might not understand that they are).

2) Use a brand-new Keystone XL pipeline operating at standard specs to relieve the currently overburdened and leaking Keystone 1 pipeline. (this is what a lot of people are against, because they don't know the spill records of the old pipes).

3) Revoke the overpressure permit on the old leaking pipelines, effectively forcing Canada to transport the excess amount by trucks/rail/ships instead. (This is what people support if they have been living under a rock and have no idea about the major disasters involving tanker ships/trucks/trains over the last decades that make those Keystone 1 pipe leaks looks like a picnic).

Take out all the partisanship aside and everyone can see which is clearly the safest route, but it seems like we are reverting back to the default choice #1, with overburdened and still-leaking old pipes.

Last edited:
Here's a related headline. The older Keystone 1 pipes are leaking like a sieve because they have been overburdened for years now. In order to move more oil in the same pipes, TransCanada asked for and was given permission to add more pumps, which increased the pressure inside the pipes higher than the standard limit.

And everyone knows what happen to a hose/pipe when more liquids are forced through it than the standard amount.

There are 3 realistic choices here:

1) Continue to overload the old/overpressured/leaking pipelines for years to come. (This is the default option that a lot of people are supporting if they don't actually understand what's going on).

2) Use a brand-new Keystone XL pipeline operating at standard specs to relieve the currently overburdened and leaking Keystone 1 pipeline. (this is what a lot of people are against if they don't understand what's going on).

3) Revoke the overpressure permit on the old leaking pipelines, effectively forcing Canada to transport the excess amount by trucks/rail/ships instead. (This is what people support if they have been living under a rock and have no idea about the major disasters involving tanker ships/trucks/trains over the last decades)

Take out all the partisanship aside and only one of the three is clearly the safest route, but it seems like we are reverting back to the default choice #1.

Rare permit for Keystone oil pipeline in spotlight after spills
By Devika Krishna Kumar and Laila Kearney | NOV 8, 2019

r

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1XI0L0

You seem to have a pulse on this somewhat. Do you happen to know why it's under construction for over a decade at this point? I mean, is most of it already built and functioning or is it really all just still being worked on after all this time? And if so, is it on the original schedule that was expected?

You seem to have a pulse on this somewhat. Do you happen to know why it's under construction for over a decade at this point? I mean, is most of it already built and functioning or is it really all just still being worked on after all this time? And if so, is it on the original schedule that was expected?
Found this on social media.
EsdKw6NXEAYQp9D

Biden Admin to pipeline workers:You can find another job.
I was quite surprised by this. Its a real a screenshot. This would be bad for the economy for both countries.

Back