1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Economy Trudeau upset with Biden over keystone pipeline

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by White Whale, Jan 21, 2021.

1. gatchaman Black Belt

Trudeau's National Energy Board greenhouse gas regulations that got Energy East cancelled is still a bigger travesty than the cancellation of Keystone XL. With a conservative government in Ontario, I think it would be good to revisit those regulations and get pipeline built, first to Thunder Bay and then to Cornwall. Tankers can take the oil from Cornwall until Quebec politicians get with the program. Trudeau did accomplish getting the oil selling to the US obligation out of NAFTA, so it's a head-scratcher that continuing to sell oil to the US at a discount is still the priority.

Rand M Arthur likes this.
  2. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

That's your most "rational" rebuttal after your ignorant argument for leaky old pipelines over newer one got eviscerated?

New year, same Shit Poster. Keep talking about things you know nothing about and you'll be sure to be a front-runner for that WR Shit Poster of the Year Award again.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. Headkicktoleg Banned Banned

ITT liberals pretend turning off your tap water reduces your need for water

Bald1 and Mr Holmes like this.
  4. Headkicktoleg Banned Banned

Why exactly do you think they will stop gathering this oil without a pipeline?

5. tonni POTY 2020 Banned

What’s the punchline here?

6. EL CORINTHIAN Red Belt

[​IMG]

Mr Holmes likes this.
  7. Rod1 Titanium Belt

Yeah my bad.

OPEC is fucked because they cant control the price of oil, and since they cant control the price of oil, its members see no benefit in cutting down production which in turn kills the incentive to do so.

8. Rational Poster Actually the Best Poster

Yeah it your bargaining makes zero sense after you've supported tariffing our neighbors for no reason for the past four year. You don't actually give a shit about anyone else except your tribal bias.

It doesn't take any incredibly effort on my part to cut through your bullshit.

9. Law Talkin’ Guy The Worm

10. glenwo2 Adamantium Belt

I think that's the whole point.

The foreign countries hated it when Trump made it so we were not dependent on their oil....now we're going to go back to being at their mercy like the Cuck the Democrats want this Country to be.

Whippy McGee and Papi Chulo like this.
  11. Thepaintbucket Gold Belt

From what I understand the cost to produce oil in Canada is a lot cheaper than it is to transport it so it's no surprise why they wanted the keystone pipe line. I would imagine if they increased the price of oil to the US it would be less attractive for potential US corporations who will need to commit billions into construction and whatever it cost to lobby at both the local and federal level.

gatchaman likes this.
  12. jeremyemilio Silver Belt

True, of course, but the reality on this particular deal is that the Albertan government played a stupid and wildly expensive game and won a stupid and wildly expensive prize.

13. I am your real dad I am surrounded by NERDs !!! Banned

I personally know americans that lost jobs because of this.
    It wasn't just Canadians.

The 875-mile pipeline would carry a heavy crude oil mixture from Western Canada to Steele City, Neb., where it would connect with another leg stretching to Gulf Coast refineries.

Biden’s order revokes the permit that was granted March 29, 2019, by then-President Donald Trump on the grounds that it is harmful to the environment.

These are the facts

irish_thug likes this.
  14. jeremyemilio Silver Belt

Naw. Canadian (Alberton) oil costs and crazy amount to produce. They literally squeeze and flush the oil out of the dirt. There's no profit in it except when prices are high. Trouble is, there's no room left for any significant reduction in the costs of production, so they are attempting to shave it from every other point in the chain.

15. gatchaman Black Belt

I think the best option for Canada is to have the option of sending the oil to multiple ports, so that multiple bids can be entertained, and the oil can be sold to the highest bidder. The present pipeline network favors one bidder country, the US, and the bidders there know it. Also, trans-Canada pipelines create employment opportunities for Canadians from many provinces. I would like to see Canadians united by Canada's number one industry instead of divided by it.

Thepaintbucket and Rand M Arthur like this.
  16. Whippy McGee Meme Master

Expect China to help build a refinery in Alberta. China Joe is just paying off his owners.

irish_thug likes this.
  17. Merlotte's Gold Belt

After listening to the way these people talk over the years I am amused by this decision and backlash. Fuck ‘em.

18. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Here's a related headline. The older Keystone 1 pipes are leaking like a sieve because they have been overburdened for years now. In order to move more oil in the same pipes, TransCanada asked for and was given permission to add more pumps, which increased the pressure inside the pipes higher than the standard limit.

And everyone knows what happen to a hose/pipe when more liquids are forced through it than the standard amount.

Rare permit for Keystone oil pipeline in spotlight after spills
    By Devika Krishna Kumar and Laila Kearney | NOV 8, 2019

[​IMG]
    https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1XI0L0
    ---

There are 3 realistic choices here:

1) Continue to overload the old/overpressurized/leaking Keystone 1 pipeline for years to come. (This is the default option that a lot of people are supporting, though they might not understand that they are).

2) Use a brand-new Keystone XL pipeline operating at standard specs to relieve the currently overburdened and leaking Keystone 1 pipeline. (this is what a lot of people are against, because they don't know the spill records of the old pipes).

3) Revoke the overpressure permit on the old leaking pipelines, effectively forcing Canada to transport the excess amount by trucks/rail/ships instead. (This is what people support if they have been living under a rock and have no idea about the major disasters involving tanker ships/trucks/trains over the last decades that make those Keystone 1 pipe leaks looks like a picnic).

Take out all the partisanship aside and everyone can see which is clearly the safest route, but it seems like we are reverting back to the default choice #1, with overburdened and still-leaking old pipes.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Bald1 and Rod1 like this.
  19. Lead /Led/ blanket Platinum Member

You seem to have a pulse on this somewhat. Do you happen to know why it's under construction for over a decade at this point? I mean, is most of it already built and functioning or is it really all just still being worked on after all this time? And if so, is it on the original schedule that was expected?

Rebelfett likes this.
  20. GoldenWolf87 Black Belt

Found this on social media.
    [​IMG]
    Biden Admin to pipeline workers:You can find another job.
    I was quite surprised by this. Its a real a screenshot. This would be bad for the economy for both countries.

Rebelfett and Badger67 like this.