Trouble with knees to the head

TommyHearns

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK the main problem is, i cant get much power when i aim for hte head and he is standing up without any crouch. Coz i hvae to knee so high. So i guess it has to be a flying knee. I know you can get power on this becasue i saw Belfort knock down and finish that short stocky black guy cant remember his name, with flying knees to the head.

Its like a jumping knee, you jump to get high enough, but when i do it it feels like im just floating into the air, i dont feel any power.

You need to work on your Thai clinch..Grabbing behind the neck pulling down as you cock back your leg and bring your knee up and in. If you cant generate power to the head then go for the body. Just remember to bring there head down as your knee is coming up

TapDG said:
You need to work on your Thai clinch..Grabbing behind the neck pulling down as you cock back your leg and bring your knee up and in. If you cant generate power to the head then go for the body. Just remember to bring there head down as your knee is coming up
This is the key.
And it was Marvin Eastman that Belfort cracked with that wicked knee.

Also bring their head down and TOWARDS the knee you are using, dont just bring them straight down. Think of it like a head on car crash, you want their head and your knee going to the exact same spot, so pull down and to the knee you are using.

Do you have to actually pull them down or is it more pulling your knee up, because im way less stronger and much lighter than the guys im talking about not that i knee guys in sparring or anything.

You do have to pull their head down a bit and if you have a good thai clinch it shouldnt be a problem..or like I said..go for knees to the body

Alot of it is pulling them into the knee aswell.

You aren't supposed to just be throwing the knee or just pulling down on the head. It doesn't matter if you aren't that strong, but with both the knee going up and the head being pulled down, you should be a bit more powerful.

As said earlier, "Practice". That's the best way to fix it.

A lot of people also throw bad knees. A knee should drive into it's target like a piston. I work on them using no hands on a heavy bag, and instead of just bringing the leg up I kind of cock the knee and drive it out all in one motion. This is the kind of knee that knocks the wind out or seizes up a liver. Just bringing the leg up so the knee just happens to be the point of impact is simply that...an impact.

So if you are throwing a "flying" knee, which I personally never really try in MMA, you would probably have more success using this principle. the knee should be impacting with outwards force, not just "coming up" force.

I wish I could make a video clip to show the difference, cuz it's kind of hard to explain. It's a subtle difference but you can really feel the difference and see it in how it impacts the bag.

also, a lot of people "knee" with the top of their leg, above the kneecap. The reason for this is because they throw improper knees and it hurts to bring your knee up on the kneecap. If you piston INTO the target, hitting with the sharper and smaller surface area of the kneecap works much better and has more hurtfull results.

smaller surface area + speed and power = pwnage.

sounds like you may need more work on your clinch. you should be trying to fold him over. pulling behind his neck isn't going to do it. you really need to be grabbing above the neck at the crown of his head so that his head will buckle down. also while doing this grind your elbows into his collar bone area with force.

You need to pull him down, try breaking his form first. Pull back and twist him to the side to throw off his balance. Like fiction said, use your elbows to help you yank him around as well as pulling on the head.

Watch buakaw's high light video, he has some sick knees.

its all in your hips, its all in your hips.
what shoji said about hitting like a pistion, you get a heap of power by pushing with your hips also, plus practice, try a bit of a hop to get that bit of extra height. and the thai clinch is also good for knee work. I like to bring my knees up outwards then bring them around forwards and thrusting with your hips to get more power.

if its a flying knee then i was taught u dont clinch at all, u jump as high as u can and near the top of the jump you bring the knee upwards as hard and fast as u can, then u benefit from the power from the jump and also from the knee

Flying knees hurt, trust me. If you do it properly and get your momentum and weight into it, he will feel it because all the kinetic energy of you jumping is going into a single point, your knee. Work on your clinch. You should be able to bring his head down for a knee if you are trying to get his head. Remember, dont clinch the neck unless you want to pull him. clinch the back of his head to crank it down for a knee.

Back