Trouble getting QUALITY SLEEP

ireap

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The quality sleep I haven't been getting for months is partly due to a deviated septum I have. The reason why I am not getting this problem fixed right away is because the doc suggested I wait a year until my nose matures as much as it can.

Anyways, so the problem I'm having isn't the amount of sleep I'm getting (8-9 hours), but rather the quality. Regardless of the amount of sleep I get, I always feel shitty in the morning and most times throughout the day as well.

Any sleeping aids that are safe and intended for my problem?

P.S- I also workout

Most sleep aids that actually work run a risk of dependency. I know some people for whom Ambien changed their lives by giving them quality sleep for the first time in years. This is something you need to talk through with your doctor. There are a lot of options as well as tradeoffs.

I would recommend a blood test to start with.

I have the same issue and still trying to work it out. Mine may be because of low test levels they believe.

Yeah I guess I could get some tests done. However, my issue is that I find it hard to believe that I may be low on something, since I eat healthy, I eat a lot, I take good supplements, and I exercise/workout.

Anybody have any experiences with a deviated septum? Is it that bad or only partially affects sleeping patterns?

Yeah I guess I could get some tests done. However, my issue is that I find it hard to believe that I may be low on something, since I eat healthy, I eat a lot, I take good supplements, and I exercise/workout.

Anybody have any experiences with a deviated septum? Is it that bad or only partially affects sleeping patterns?

I have one. Hasn't done anything to my sleep patterns as far as I can tell, at least not when compared to other lifestyle factors.

55005610.JPG

Great book if your interested.

I've had good results with Melatonin. It not only helps you sleep but it's also an anti-oxidant apparently.

I don't recall seeing any addiction/dependency issues in whatever I've read on it, and I can fall asleep without it. I use it more to manage my sleep, i.e. I can take it 30 minutes before I want to be out for 8 hours. Great for realigning sleep cycles after a few days off from work (shifting to 3am-11am back to 9pm-5am) and in theory it should work for jet lag (I've never flown beyond 1 hour time difference so I can't comment).

Melatonin is a sleep regulating hormone that is suppressed by our constant exposure to artificial light, so I'm pretty sure supplementing it gets you back to "normal" as opposed to creating an artificial need by introducing something foreign.

Have you been using zma for a while? Does it continue to work? I've heard some people say it works for a bit but eventually becomes less effective. I've never used it long term, just curious.

Have you been using zma for a while? Does it continue to work? I've heard some people say it works for a bit but eventually becomes less effective. I've never used it long term, just curious.

Regularly for about a year. I am careful with taking it. If I have taken in a large amount of zinc through diet I will forgo it and just take a Mg supp that night, as there is some evidence that excessive zinc can be atherogenic, as well as leading to copper deficiency. I often do not take it on the weekend either as my sleep schedule is different and I am often resting from training. It still helps me get restful sleep, and ensures I am getting enough dietary Magnesium which many people are deficient in.
Some people may be better taking a Mg supp with some Valerian root or Gaba, you need to tailor your supps to yourself individually and see what works best for you.

I've been taking ZMA but I think I'm going to stop for a long while shortly, I don't feel that it's working anymore; I definitely don't feel the effects I did when I first started on it. I'm also sleeping like crap lately and it's driving me batshit crazy.

Agreed on the possible sleep apnea ^^^^^^^

I have a slightly deviated septum and had some sleep tests done which showed that I was stopping breathing while asleep pretty often and for pretty long stretches of time. I don't fit the description of a typical apnea sufferer either (i.e. I'm thin, in good shape, eat well, don't smoke). I've been using Breathing Strips and they help a bit, but I still get the same symptoms you're talking about TS. I haven't found any solid solutions, but I have found that if I do a lot of hyper-stimulating things late at night (or a lot during the day), such as watch intense TV shows or movies, or play the hell out of some first-person shooter on my Xbox, then my sleep quality suffers. Eating a lot late also fucks up my sleep.

PS: this is what I mean by Breathing Strips:

breath-right-30-large.jpg

I had a thread not too long ago about not being able to sleep. I'm sure there are tons others. Seems to be an epidemic!

We need to put together one big resource.

zinc, magnesium, and B vitamins = well rested with funky dreams

melatonin, ZMA & GABA is a potent combo for me. Sleep like the dead for about 5 hours and wake rested for another day.

zinc, magnesium, and B vitamins = well rested with funky dreams

I've never had much success with ZMA. I went back to it last night and was sadly reminded of why I stopped taking it. For some reason, I often wake up after about 4 hours of sleep on it pretty wide awake. Sometimes I get back to sleep, sometimes I don't. But the next day I usually feel quite groggy, especially around the eyes, and I've noticed on numerous occasions that I feel kind of hot the next day, as if heat is kind of trapped in my body. I don't know if anyone else has experienced that, but it seems to always happen to me. I used to think it would eventually help me as much as it seems to have helped others, but I'm ready to give up on it now. Anyone want half a bottle of ZMA?

I've never had much success with ZMA. I went back to it last night and was sadly reminded of why I stopped taking it. For some reason, I often wake up after about 4 hours of sleep on it pretty wide awake. Sometimes I get back to sleep, sometimes I don't. But the next day I usually feel quite groggy, especially around the eyes, and I've noticed on numerous occasions that I feel kind of hot the next day, as if heat is kind of trapped in my body. I don't know if anyone else has experienced that, but it seems to always happen to me. I used to think it would eventually help me as much as it seems to have helped others, but I'm ready to give up on it now. Anyone want half a bottle of ZMA?

Actually, this thread reminded me I was out (since I'm off right now and usually only take it on days I work) so I just ordered 3 bottles. Are you sure that's not the crack you're doing that's having that effect? :icon_lol:

Seriously though, that's pretty weird. I've never heard of effects like that from it. I generally only get 4-6 hours of sleep on it, but that's why I started taking it, not the effect. It made the little sleep I did get a lot higher quality and I felt a lot more rested.

That used to happen when I took niacin. Plus i'd pee neon. I doubt there's much niacin in your ZMA though. I also have a deviated septum from years of wrestling, bjj, boxing etc and actually sleep with my arm across my face (I guess it pulls on my face and opens up the airway)

Actually, this thread reminded me I was out (since I'm off right now and usually only take it on days I work) so I just ordered 3 bottles. Are you sure that's not the crack you're doing that's having that effect? :icon_lol:

Seriously though, that's pretty weird. I've never heard of effects like that from it. I generally only get 4-6 hours of sleep on it, but that's why I started taking it, not the effect. It made the little sleep I did get a lot higher quality and I felt a lot more rested.

Ugh, hearing this makes me tempted to go back to it...maybe it'll work this time (I've told myself that many times). A good night's sleep seems damn near impossible anymore, which is pretty puzzling actually. If only it were as simple as crack withdrawal. I think I'll review some other sleep threads on here and check out some other recommendations. Like the TS, I have no problem getting to sleep, but the quality of sleep is shite.

I've heard from more than one person who says they actually had more trouble sleeping when they took ZMA.

Back