Triple G punching power

GGG is described as having very powerful forearms and a retard-strong handshake. That matters. That's born.

Then there is the technique, timing, distance, and accuracy that are taught.

If you don't have the luck of the genes (at least as far as it matters in fighting), augment your punch with the right trainable ingredients.

it's the ass it's definitely the ass

Do people know for a fact what creates what people call "punching power"? Is there a definitive scientific guide or study on the subject? A generally accepted theory?

What we do know is that size is an important factor. Heavyweights score more KOs in their divisions than the smaller guys. To me, that seems like a given.

But we also have guys like GGG who aren't muscular, aren't explosive, and don't land clean technical crisp shots on their opponent, but seem to drop and KO people repeatedly.

With most fighters, we can easily see why they score KO'S. They're either counter fighters who catch someone coming in, very big and powerful, small and explosive, or all those qualities.

But with GGG, he seems very lumbering and slow, when compared to other boxers. His strikes don't look like they're packed with energy (though they obviously are) or fast.

What would one attribute his KO power to? I'm starting to think that what many people call KO power, is just finishing ability, one guy tougher, aggressive, and pursuant of his opponent. But then guys like Anthony Johnson and Foreman exist, and it gets thrown right out the window.

Not to mention, that we have plenty of other guys in combat sports who are known for their lack of KO power, even when trying their best to finish opponents in an aggressive manner.

I know my post Is rather confusing so I'll just simply if the question. What is triple G doing to score so many finishes? I'm not taking away from his boxing, but technically ON PAPER he's not that good compared to many other guys.

You don't have to be muscular to punch hard. When some guys hit you its a pop, when other guys hit you it's like a thud. Both guys have power. Triple G had KO power since puberty. He punches very hard especially for an average sized guy.

This is the most over thought topic in all of sports.

Simply put: punching power’s a function of overall athleticism and to a lesser extent technique. Which is to say that even crude guys like Mayorga and Francis Ngannou will knock out high level pros if they are physically talented and know how to leverage their tools.

God given physical ability, the intelligence to learn, and the coordination to put it all together are all their is too it.

Tall/short.

Big ass, small ass.

Big wrists small wrists.

Wide back, narrow back.

Long arms, short arms.

Tyson/Lennox

Tyron woodley/John Molina jr

Pacquiao/Tito Trinidad

Max Baer/Joe Louis

Crawford/Lemieux

Power comes from the god given gifts of physicality and intelligence. Coordination and the ability to learn fall under both, respectively. There’s no simple answer or magic bullet.

And true athleticism isn’t something you can objectively measure, the unmeasurables matter just as much, which is why boxing and MMA are the best measuring stick for what makes an athlete truly great.

The number 1 thing is a persons central nervous system, your CNS will make you a hard puncher (for your size) or a weak puncher. Technique, strength and size, leverage points are all contributing factors but your CNS will make or brake your punching power. Your motor recruitment in punching will dictate the majority of the power.

The number 1 thing is a persons central nervous system, your CNS will make you a hard puncher (for your size) or a weak puncher. Technique, strength and size, leverage points are all contributing factors but your CNS will make or brake your punching power. Your motor recruitment in punching will dictate the majority of the power.

Actually the number 1 thing is simply being 6'4.

Firas Zahabi:

“Number one on the list is where your muscle is attached to the bone. It’s genetic. So (Mike) Tyson hits, he has a powerful left hook not because his coach taught him how to hit a left hook. He could hit a left hook like that if he had a mediocre trainer. It has to do with the leverage of his bones. For instance, imagine I had a really heavy pole that weighs 100 pounds and I want to stand it up. Well, depending on where I grab it, I’m going to have more resistance or less resistance. If I grab it near the end, I have more leverage. So where you muscles attach to your bone is going to dictate how much leverage you get out of it"

“The second most important element is the type of muscle fiber you have. A type, so if you have a fast-twitch muscle fiber, you can hold less oxygen, but it can twitch faster, hence the name. So if you’re a slow-twitch muscle fiber guy, you can metabolize more oxygen, but you can’t twitch as fast. So there’s a give and take”

Source: https://www.mmaweekly.com/firas-zahabi-explains-why-conor-mcgregor-hits-so-hard-and-tires-out

Firas Zahabi:

“Number one on the list is where your muscle is attached to the bone. It’s genetic. So (Mike) Tyson hits, he has a powerful left hook not because his coach taught him how to hit a left hook. He could hit a left hook like that if he had a mediocre trainer. It has to do with the leverage of his bones. For instance, imagine I had a really heavy pole that weighs 100 pounds and I want to stand it up. Well, depending on where I grab it, I’m going to have more resistance or less resistance. If I grab it near the end, I have more leverage. So where you muscles attach to your bone is going to dictate how much leverage you get out of it"

“The second most important element is the type of muscle fiber you have. A type, so if you have a fast-twitch muscle fiber, you can hold less oxygen, but it can twitch faster, hence the name. So if you’re a slow-twitch muscle fiber guy, you can metabolize more oxygen, but you can’t twitch as fast. So there’s a give and take”

Source: https://www.mmaweekly.com/firas-zahabi-explains-why-conor-mcgregor-hits-so-hard-and-tires-out
well he is a great coach, but since we're throwing around theories, if muscle insertions and fast twitch muscle fibers are that important we would see a more uniform bodytype from power punchers. My broscience theory is as good as any lol. To test it punch a heavy bag, then smell some smelling salts and punch the bag again. I may be way off, so i dunno.

Back