Trip to Belgium and Amsterdam

ucunc156

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
My company is sending me for some training in Switzerland. I am going to stick around for a little over a week after the training ends and plan on seeing Belgium and Amsterdam. I know a lot of you guys travel a lot, and some of you might even be from these areas, so I would love some input.

I will be free from October 3-10 (2nd and 11 would be traveling days). As far as Belgium goes, I am looking at the cities of Brussels, Antwerp, and Bruges. I imagine I can't get to all 3 of these cities in a few days plus have time for Amsterdam, so which cities would you guys recommend and for how long? My initial thought was 3-4 in brussels, 5-6 in Antwerp, and 7-10 in Amsterdam. I was under the assumption that the stuff I would see in Bruges would be similiar enough to Amsterdam that I don't have to make a separate trip for it. Conversely, I've heard there isn't a ton of things to see in Belgium and a day trip to Bruges would be worth it.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

5-6 days in antwerp is too much - i go every year for 5 days (work related) and there isn't much to do. you're better off spending most of your time of amsterdam.

Sorry those are dates, not days in each plays. October 3-4 in brussels, oct 5-6 in antwerp, oct 7-10 in amsterdam

Amsterdam is fucking awesome. The people are nice, its a big time tourist city so its relatively safe if you don't go to the wrong places, and you can buy weed and sex on almost every corner.

I don't recommed buying coke or MDMA or anything else off the street there, even in the information packets they warn that a lot of drugs like that are pure trash, or even worse dangerous like rat poison, when bought off the street.

You can eat local Holland food or American fast food, they have KFC, Burger King, etc...

But DO NOT touch the water in river in the middle of the city. Its disgusting, never touch it.

lol when i went to venice the water looked disgusting, i imagine its the same in amsterdam. Amsterdam definitely seems like it would be the highpoint, thats why I want to spend the most time there. Would you guys spend 4 days/nights there and sacrifice a day somewhere in belgium or do you think 3 days there would be good enough?

Weirdly, I've been to so many places but have still never been to Amsterdam despite it being a few hours away from Wales on a coach/ferry.

I will, one day. Dutch people are awesome, very friendly, very welcoming.

I've been to Bruges in Belgium. Very beautiful city, very quaint, really nice people, quiet though. Don't expect crazy parties though I did get invited by locals to a rave in the woods, I just cldnt find the place, it was a secret party.

Brussels is fun if you have a lot of money to spend, otherwise I wouldn't stay too long. Bruges is really small, so just seeing it wouldn't take much time. It's a beautiful little city though with great food. Antwerp is cool if you like to go out to parties, for the rest there's not that much to do. Their zoo is terrible, BTW. Amsterdam is worth spending most of your time, IMO.

lol when i went to venice the water looked disgusting, i imagine its the same in amsterdam. Amsterdam definitely seems like it would be the highpoint, thats why I want to spend the most time there. Would you guys spend 4 days/nights there and sacrifice a day somewhere in belgium or do you think 3 days there would be good enough?

Spend as much time as possible in Amsterdam, if possible.

Never been to Brussells so I can't comment on there, but I enjoyed Amsterdam more than Paris or Munich. Both places were fun, but not as much fun as Amsterdam.

Youll be amazed of how nice the people are. Don't be the typical arrogant American and you are fine. I'd still keep my wallet in my front pocket to be safe, but I never felt threatened at all in Amsterdam and I was out til 4-5 AM every morning. I hooked up with a Dutch girl for two days and it was a blast, and also got a hummer from a hooker which was surprisingly not that expensive. She was very attractive, but I had no intentions of having full blown sex with her, I just got my rocks off and left. All they do is pull the curtain closed while you are in the room, you do your thing, put the money on the dresser or cabinet, and enjoy it. Have the money out and separate and ready, don't be an asshole digging in your wallet in front of her.

Brussels is fun if you have a lot of money to spend, otherwise I wouldn't stay too long. Bruges is really small, so just seeing it wouldn't take much time. It's a beautiful little city though with great food. Antwerp is cool if you like to go out to parties, for the rest there's not that much to do. Their zoo is terrible, BTW. Amsterdam is worth spending most of your time, IMO.
Thanks, thats what I was thinking with Bruges just being so beautiful. Doable on a day trip and returning to brussels?
Never been to Brussells so I can't comment on there, but I enjoyed Amsterdam more than Paris or Munich. Both places were fun, but not as much fun as Amsterdam.

Youll be amazed of how nice the people are. Don't be the typical arrogant American and you are fine. I'd still keep my wallet in my front pocket to be safe, but I never felt threatened at all in Amsterdam and I was out til 4-5 AM every morning. I hooked up with a Dutch girl for two days and it was a blast, and also got a hummer from a hooker which was surprisingly not that expensive. She was very attractive, but I had no intentions of having full blown sex with her, I just got my rocks off and left. All they do is pull the curtain closed while you are in the room, you do your thing, put the money on the dresser or cabinet, and enjoy it. Have the money out and separate and ready, don't be an asshole digging in your wallet in front of her.
I was in Paris and Munich back in Dec/Jan for my honeymoon. Both were okay but I preferred Rome for things to see and Venice for pure beauty and uniqueness of the city, which is what is attracting me to Bruges as well.

I'm not the typical American (first of all, I am indian), my wife is american though. We like to consider ourselves cultured with an interest in the whole world. and we certainly aren't the type of people who visit other countries and cultures and say "this is shit, america is better" (except for the food in italy).

Last edited:
I always heard Brussels had a better red light district than Amsterdam. I'm gonna need that confirmed, TS

Thanks, thats what I was thinking with Bruges just being so beautiful. Doable on a day trip and returning to Amsterdam?

I was in Paris and Munich back in Dec/Jan for my honeymoon. Both were okay but I preferred Rome for things to see and Venice for pure beauty and uniqueness of the city, which is what is attracting me to Bruges as well.

I'm not the typical American (first of all, I am indian), my wife is american though. We like to consider ourselves cultured with an interest in the whole world. and we certainly aren't the type of people who visit other countries and cultures and say "this is shit, america is better" (except for the food in italy).

Ahh, you're married. So you probably won't have as much fun as I did in Amsterdam, its more of a single person adventure. But theres still a ton to do, see the windmills, Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank house, etc...

Amsterdam is amazing. I just got back from there at the beginning of Summer and even though it was like my 4th time there, it still wraps it's loving arms around me and says "welcome back"! Great food! Great people!

And great "herbal remedy" if you're into that sort of thing (or so I'm told, I've never partook).... Make sure you take a thick jacket/coat, the wind coming off the canals is freakin' COLDDDDDD!

Have watched 'In Bruges' I would go to Bruges.
In Holland I would go to Harlem.

Then again I've never been to either of these cities. However, I have been to Amsterdam and Leuven. Both were fun cities. Amsterdam, they're skimming you as a tourist. Fun none the less. It's great walking town.

I keep hearing that Brugge is beautiful.

My parents got swindled out of several hundred bucks in Brussels, though. Some dudes dressed up as cops made my dad take out his cash, accused him of counterfitting, then took off with the money.

I always heard Brussels had a better red light district than Amsterdam. I'm gonna need that confirmed, TS
Lol actually I've heard this too. I won't actively participate, but I am sure we will check it out.
Ahh, you're married. So you probably won't have as much fun as I did in Amsterdam, its more of a single person adventure. But theres still a ton to do, see the windmills, Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank house, etc...
My wife isn't a prude, its not like anything sexual offends her. I won't participate necessarily (honestly, I'm too cheap even if I was single to pay for sex), but we will still go visit, see what its all about.
Amsterdam is amazing. I just got back from there at the beginning of Summer and even though it was like my 4th time there, it still wraps it's loving arms around me and says "welcome back"! Great food! Great people!

And great "herbal remedy" if you're into that sort of thing (or so I'm told, I've never partook).... Make sure you take a thick jacket/coat, the wind coming off the canals is freakin' COLDDDDDD!
Lol I rarely make threads, but they always seem to be made when I'm asking for tips on places popular for weed. A couple years ago I made a denver colorado thread and everyone recommended stuff.
You're into beer right?
Love it. Plan on going to Delirium in Brussels but thats about it. Other suggestions? I like darker beers for what its worth.

You're into beer right?

that is the first thing i thought of when he said he is going to belgium... :cool:

beer, cheese, and chocolate. not necessarily in that order.

ts, please update thread upon your return. i have never been to any of those locations, and would like to hear of your experience.

I'd be happy to. I'd love to start a travel blog since I love to travel so much but thanks to stupid American vacation policies, I don't get to do it enough. And count me out on the cheese. I will make up for it with the beer and chocolate though!

Lol actually I've heard this too. I won't actively participate, but I am sure we will check it out.

My wife isn't a prude, its not like anything sexual offends her. I won't participate necessarily (honestly, I'm too cheap even if I was single to pay for sex), but we will still go visit, see what its all about.

Lol I rarely make threads, but they always seem to be made when I'm asking for tips on places popular for weed. A couple years ago I made a denver colorado thread and everyone recommended stuff.

Love it. Plan on going to Delirium in Brussels but thats about it. Other suggestions? I like darker beers for what its worth.

Kulminator in Antwerp is pretty widely considered one of the best beer bars in the world. It has a crazy vintage beer list. If you're into dark beers go here and drink the higher ABV trappist beers like Rochefort or get yourself a crazy stout from De Struise.

Brussels is the place for lambic. If you're not into sour beer (it's pretty abrasive on it's first try) then it may not be your bag but all the bars will have other stuff. Highest rated place is Chez Moeder Lambic Fontainas or it's sister bar Chez Moeder Lambic Saint-Gilles. These will be a lot less touristy than Delirium.

Amsterdam is great for beer too. Beer Temple is an American style craft place which is excellent but i prefer Proeflokaal Arendsnest and In De Wildeman which focus more on dutch beer and have a more traditional vibe. I'd also recommend renting bikes and taking a 20 minute or so ride out to Brouwerij ’t IJ which is a nice little brewery outside of the centre of Amsterdam.

This is a pretty high level overview, if you need any more info gimme a PM.

Back