Trigger Warnings on Campus - Lengthy Article

When ever I see it spelled like that, I think of 'Wyvern'

A wyvern (/ˈwaɪvərn/ WEYE-vərn), sometimes spelled wivern, is a legendary winged creature with a dragon's head and wings; a reptilian body; two legs; and a tail. A sea-dwelling variant, dubbed the sea-wyvern, has a fish tail in place of a barbed dragon's tail

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyvern

only reason i know what a wyvern is because there was a syfy movie about them lmao

People used to get married and run a farm at age 14.

Now we are treating people like they are 8 year olds well into their 20's.

Once triggered, the proper pavlovian response is to do this:

306529.jpg

Usually accompanied by some preloaded terms to silence the target and trigger others in the nearby vicinity so that they can come assist.

That scared the shit out of me when i was a kid and still does.

Yes it's very deliberate. Operant conditioning is used on the masses. Progoganda embedded in television, print media, and the education system mostly. It's a science.

It's a way of controlling society. They used similar techniques in the soviet union.

This. I honestly dont believe any of these people are actually offended. Just conditioned to respond that way in order to implement thought/speech control. Thats why i think we should all take this more seriously. This isnt just a bunch of sensitive liberals being babies, its a devious agenda that should be silenced. Preferably with a gun, maybe even 2.:icon_twis

This. I honestly dont believe any of these people are actually offended. Just conditioned to respond that way in order to implement thought/speech control. Thats why i think we should all take this more seriously. This isnt just a bunch of sensitive liberals being babies, its a devious agenda that should be silenced. Preferably with a gun, maybe even 2.:icon_twis

I don't view it as being offended so much as 'distressed'

The triggers cause stress, and the person then seeks to stop that stress.

If you were to mention that Jenner is still a man, that could cause someone emotional distress if they have watched all the tear jerking and celebration over him being a women. Positive reinforcement. Something they have accepted and associate with positive emotions.

Would they be offended? I can't see how that would be the case because it has nothing to do with them whatsoever. It's just a stimulus-response thing.

I agree that it should be taken seriously. People are being treated like lab rats in social experimentation on a large scale. It's a form of abuse IMO.

Last edited:
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/...n-is-problematic-in-a-university-environment/

It appears that the word "American" is a trigger word now also. This is a direct product of the "diversity" of our Universities. First the American flag is a trigger to foreign students and has to be taken down. Now you cant say "American" without hurting the feelings of some foreigner. Heres an idea. Be thankful that you are allowed to attend our universities and show some gratitude to your host country by not demonizing its flag or its people.

"According to a

Well the cure is to not care if it stress them. I have good manners and try and treat other people with respect as long as they do the same with me.

If some minor thing stress you out that a say or do then stay the hell away from me.

If it is something real and you point it out to me politely then I'm open to think about it.

If it's petty PC bull shit then I will inform you of this and give the above advice.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/...n-is-problematic-in-a-university-environment/

It appears that the word "American" is a trigger word now also. This is a direct product of the "diversity" of our Universities. First the American flag is a trigger to foreign students and has to be taken down. Now you cant say "American" without hurting the feelings of some foreigner. Heres an idea. Be thankful that you are allowed to attend our universities and show some gratitude to your host country by not demonizing its flag or its people.

"According to a

"According to a

It's all about associations.

Anything can become a trigger using the same techniques.

Associate X with Y, so that when X is encountered, Y is immediately invoked.

For the American flag, it could be associated with positive things which would invoke positive feelings (used for instilling patriotism) or it can be associated to negative things (imperialism)

It's pretty basic, and operant conditioning is the tool of choice to make these associations stick.

You could have people trigger at the word 'apple' using these techniques. Anything. you'd just have to reinforce a negative association so that when the word is heard, that association is invoked and all the emotional baggage that comes with it.

Show someone an apple, and play scary noises and show pictures of a murder scene (create emotional trauma). Do that a bunch of times and eventually when the person thinks of an apple they will be traumatized.

Mass marketing also uses these principals to create positive associations with their products. It works both ways.

Last edited:
It's true that the US has hijacked "America" and it's usage undermines the entire hemisphere,

Is it? How do we know it's not something simple like just needing to refer to people from the United States of America? What else makes sense? United Statesers? United States of America'ers? Anybody else actually got "America" in the name of their country?

North America
Canada
Greenland
United States

Caribbean
Antigua Barbuda
Bahamas
Barbados
Bermuda
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada
Guadelupe
Haiti
Jamaica
Martinique
Netherland Antilles
Puerto Rico
St. Kitts & Nevis
Trinidad and Tobago
U.S. Virgin Islands

Central America
Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Mexico
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

South America
Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
French Guyana
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Suriname
Uruguay
Venezuela

Is it? How do we know it's not something simple like just needing to refer to people from the United States of America? What else makes sense? United Statesers? United States of America'ers? Anybody else actually got "America" in the name of their country?

It's not a big deal, as I've noted, and yeah, it can be just short for US of A, but it also seems like the name ignores the rest of the Americas. All the places you named are also the Americas, they are part of America, so to only call one country America seems a little presumptuous, which is what the complaint is referring to, which again, is overblown.

All the places you named are also the Americas, they are part of America, so to only call one country America seems a little presumptuous,

People abbreviate shit. That's life. If "America" wasn't in the name of the country I doubt it would still be referred to the same way.

Or we could say the USA just made more of itself internationally than the rest of those countries so too damn bad. :eek::icon_chee

God I hate the closeted tyranny of these people.

People abbreviate shit. That's life. If "America" wasn't in the name of the country I doubt it would still be referred to the same way.

Or we could say the USA just made more of itself internationally than the rest of those countries so too damn bad. :eek::icon_chee

I don't know, I'm certainly not going to be "triggered" by it's usage, I use it myself, but this was explained to me when I was a kid by someone who took issue with it, so it stuck with me. It's obviously just a name at this point.

W2paQA2.png

That pic might actually trigger some of the antis on here :icon_chee

"Canada" triggers the majority too :icon_sad:

We should just merge Canada, The US and Mexico and call it something different. No one will get triggered and there will be so much diversity that there will be no escape!

They are sending our future minds into a reckless highway of confusion filled with incompetence. They need to get serious about studies in America we keep tumbling down the rankings every year consistently. I wonder why they would do that to us. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :icon_lol:

Back