Trigger Warnings on Campus - Lengthy Article

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by dontsnitch, Aug 13, 2015.

1. dontsnitch

dontsnitch Steel Belt

The Coddling of American Minds.

This lengthy article deals with the growing problem of political correctness on College campuses, specifically, the increasingly accepted use of Trigger Warnings and Micro-aggressions to quell the possibility of offending students. It argues that this approach creates an ironically more hostile world with a greater divide between groups, and does a disservice to students who will one day face the real world.

It begins by outlining the change through time and tracing it's origins with the use of many colourful examples, most of which are hard to accept as being true, and continues to argue that the model is backwards. Instead of coddling students, shielding them from any perceived threat and possible offence, the answer should be a cognitive behavioural therapy approach.

Instead of protecting students from ideas, the goal should be to equip them do handle them when they are welcomed by the world which is full of these ideas that are not so easily controlled as they are in an institution designed to shelter minds.

I don't have much to comment on this, but it hits on topics that are prevalent in the War Room, and I'm sure many of you will enjoy reading this.

2. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

its sad to see my generation be such bit**es. What do these people that get "triggered" going to do when they encounter people who disagree with them? Say they are committing hate speech? Some of the things people get "offended" by are pathetic. If your offended by "bad words"... just lmao.

3. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

lol, wow. I've always took "where were you born" as location in the city not country.

I still think these folks are trolling. I've heard of all the SJW and trigger sensitive people online, but I've only met 2 in real life, and these two overplayed it because they had an agenda.
    I still find it hard to believe anyone over the age of 10 is going to be offended that easily.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero Twisting Nether

Mind if I ask what race you are ?

5. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

It doesn't bother me that people are so sheltered and oversensitive because I know once they are on their own and in the real world, reality is going to give them the ass whipping of their lives.

6. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

I'm asian

7. JDragon

JDragon DOX News Anchor Platinum Member

Liar. You only want to get the positive 'hard working, smart' stereotypes.

/s

8. Count Zero

Count Zero Twisting Nether

Wild. My mom is Korean and my dad is a black American. Growing up, when people asked me "Where are you from", it became clear to me at a pretty young age they meant "What race are you ?", because if I told them "Oh I live here in town" or "I was born in Korea" they'd still have a puzzled look on their face, until I told them I'm black / korean.

9. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

People who live in a politically correct society are raised in an environment and taught to be offended. They are literally taught to be offended. We have reached the point where even calling someone from Mexico a Mexican is offensive to some people. The word Mexican, I shit you not.

I went to high school in the 1980's. It was back when we called mailmen...mailmen and we called a stewardess...stewardess. Those are a couple of the first I actually remember that made me scratch my head. We are too the point now where the slightest little remark can make people want to go home and cry. I honestly think we are raising future psychopaths who can't handle conflict so they lash out.

10. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

Rogan and his awesome guest Gad Saad discussed this article in his podcast a couple days ago....I think it's near the beginning that they talk about it. Ridiculous.

Saad mentioned a group of feminists that are trying to change the word Women to Womyn because having the word 'men' in Women is a micro-aggression...:eek:

Link to podcast:
    http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/gad-saad-2

11. LilMountain

LilMountain Section 20 Operative

Where I grew up (SF, CA) people just asked "What are you? if that's what they meant and "Where are you from?" meant location.

I heard that guy on Carolla I think and started following him on twitter, cool dude

12. dontsnitch

dontsnitch Steel Belt

It's interesting that Gad is a self-proclaimed "true Liberal", and yet he despises this type of behaviour and thought in academia, which goes to show that this movement transcends political ideology. The left and right should unite to criticize things when they don't make sense, instead of trying to distribute blame.

13. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

Once triggered, the proper pavlovian response is to do this:

[​IMG]

Usually accompanied by some preloaded terms to silence the target and trigger others in the nearby vicinity so that they can come assist.

14. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

Yes it's very deliberate. Operant conditioning is used on the masses. Progoganda embedded in television, print media, and the education system mostly. It's a science.

It's a way of controlling society. They used similar techniques in the soviet union.

15. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

Edward Bernays led the way.

[​IMG]

16. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

In terms of applying principals to mass conditioning, no doubt.

According to this:
    http://www.learning-theories.com/classical-conditioning-pavlov.html

John B. Watson expanded Ivan Pavlov's work on conditioning dogs, into humans in 1921.

I'm sure there have been many scientists who have contributed to what we see today.

17. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Catholic Retrograde

Alain De Botton on being offended.

18. uppercutbus

uppercutbus Silver Belt

of course. Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually turns into this:

[​IMG]

19. James Keith

James Keith Silver Belt

I think of it in terms of people that have emotional imbalances latching onto a cause. Just like a drama-whore in a relationship, they will manufacture something to fight about if no good reason can be found.

20. CubicleGangster

CubicleGangster Extendos Belt Platinum Member

which is really stupid as womyn has the letter Y in it as in "Y