Tried everything, need to cut.

For what it counts, that whole carlories in < calories out is total bullshit. It may work for some, but not for everyone. My last year in the Corps I was trying like all hell to drop about 15-20 Lbs. I was eating less than 1000 calories a day, and burning between 2000-3000 a day. Ran at least 5 miles per day, then weight training each afternoon. Never lost a fucking pound that way. I got out last year, and once I started eating again, like LOTS of lean meats, and managing the types of carbs I was eating, reducing the amount of exercise, the weight fell off. I dropped almost 20Lbs in less than 3 weeks eating like this. So yeah, 5 meals a day, mixture of lean meats, minimal veg, little fruit, and good carbs, and yeah, my metabolism finally started working and the weight fell off.

Everybody's body is different, if you're stressing about losing the weight, your body's "fight or flight" will kick in, even minimally, and it shuts down your metabolism. Your body doesn't know the difference between a fearful situation and day to day stress, which is why people in high stress jobs are almost always overweight. Take it for what it's worth man, but it might be the stress that's killing your metabolism.

Sounds like your body was in starvation mode to me. You need to fuel it with enough energy to get through the day and workout if you are working out. By eating more, (but still working out a lot) you have reduced the deficit of your TDEE ie. BMR = 2000, exercise = 2000 so TDEE = 4000. If you are eating 1000 cals a day then you are at 3000 cal deficit per day or 21000 per week. THis is 6lb's of fats worth. Your body is not going to want to drop weight that quickly.

If you upped your cals to 3000 and had a TDEE of 4000 then this is 1000 deficit/day or 7000 per week which is 2lbs of fat per week which is more obtainable.

(I know that when you are losing weight it isn't 100% fat but this is just a simple example)

For the OP: sounds like you are exercising plenty so unless you are not eating any food (like the above example) then I would be reducing the amounts slightly. Go to myfitnesspal.com and log a few days to see where you are currently at and what you need to adjust. You may find the amount of cals in various foods surprising :)

Damn looks like I stirred a bit of a hornets nest on this one? good first topic to post up huh?

- Its not that I'm not loosing fat, I'm a very big muscular guy. After Ranger School 7 years ago I was still 235 pounds. The problem seems to be that my legs, glutes, arms and chest are all losing weight, getting toned, but the belly fat is sticking. I know if I get down to 270-75 (only about 15-20lbs away) I can easily drop that 10 pounds before a weigh-in the old wrestler way (dehydration) I know I got a good 15lbs around my belly/love handle, and it seems that all the running/cardio in the world is not helping to cut it. It would help me greatly to loose the gut, be around 255-265 and not have to worry about spending a week in a sauna to loose that 10 pound, and being 75% before the fight because of it. I wrestled for 10 years, and found that when I was a sophmore trying to cut down to 215 left me feeling weak and running out of energy faster in a match than when I would be fully hydrated/nourished and wrestling at heavyweight. I actually made it deep into the states my junior year at heavyweight while as a sophmore i barely had a .500 record.

I think I'm going to try eliminate as many carbs as possible, this is really the only thing I have not tried. Especially since I am part italian, come from jersey and love pasta. Keep my cardio regimine as is and see what happens over the next month.

I know this has been asked a billion times on here, but is there any dietary suppliments that would work at burning up the fat. I never got into suppliments, I don't know that much about them. But if it can help me make the turn on the loosing the fat then I'll consider it.

Most (if not all) guys lose weight in their extremities first, and the gut last. You can't shortcut the fat loss process and spot reduce solely from your gut (though that would be nice).

For the OP: sounds like you are exercising plenty so unless you are not eating any food (like the above example) then I would be reducing the amounts slightly. Go to myfitnesspal.com and log a few days to see where you are currently at and what you need to adjust. You may find the amount of cals in various foods surprising :)

Excellent site, already using it. Thank you for sharing, hopefully with all this advice I can drop some poundage and then start some poundage :icon_chee

I don't think it's just a matter of cutting calories till you start losing for some people, especially people who have done a tonne of damage to their body with very sugar rich crappy diets for long periods of time.

I always had a hard time dropping below 220-225 and was doing 2 hour mma training sessions 3 times a week, lifting 3 times a week and extra cardio twice a week. I kept belly fat no matter how low calorie I went, and it seemed I would lose more muscle than the belly fat.

I tried going to around 100-150 grams of carbs a day with only a bowl of oatmeal in the a.m. and brown rice pwo as my only non vegetable/nut carb sources and still wouldn't dip below 220.

It wasn't till I cut any carb sources beside veg n nuts that I lost more and lost the belly fat. My lifting numbers didn't drop and bodyweight excercises like pull ups and chins and inverted rows have been steadily going up.

I don't think people should be so quick to talk in absolutes when it comes to personal nutrition because everyones situation is different and results will vary frome person to person on every type of diet.

^^ pretty much how my situation was also, with adjusted numbers.

Protein Sparing Modified Fasting sucks, but it works.

This is one if my favorite posts ever on sherdog. If you continue to stress or worry about losing weight you will have a very hard time dropping those pounds. Get your diet to be simple and whole. Do exercises that you thoroughly enjoy and forget about it. Stress does kill your metabolism and I speak from first hand experience.

For what it counts, that whole carlories in < calories out is total bullshit. It may work for some, but not for everyone. My last year in the Corps I was trying like all hell to drop about 15-20 Lbs. I was eating less than 1000 calories a day, and burning between 2000-3000 a day. Ran at least 5 miles per day, then weight training each afternoon. Never lost a fucking pound that way. I got out last year, and once I started eating again, like LOTS of lean meats, and managing the types of carbs I was eating, reducing the amount of exercise, the weight fell off. I dropped almost 20Lbs in less than 3 weeks eating like this. So yeah, 5 meals a day, mixture of lean meats, minimal veg, little fruit, and good carbs, and yeah, my metabolism finally started working and the weight fell off.

Everybody's body is different, if you're stressing about losing the weight, your body's "fight or flight" will kick in, even minimally, and it shuts down your metabolism. Your body doesn't know the difference between a fearful situation and day to day stress, which is why people in high stress jobs are almost always overweight. Take it for what it's worth man, but it might be the stress that's killing your metabolism.

I'm 6'3" 296lbs, and its getting to me because no matter what I do it won't go away. I run 3-6 miles a day, eat right, lift. The only thing I can think of is I skip breakfast alot due to work, but i eat around 4-5 meals a day. I Stay away from the junk, eat a lot of lean meats, only take in minimal carbs per day. I've worked with trainers to set up diet & exercise plans, and in over a year I've only lost 5 pounds! I'm clueless as too what will help me lean down, I want to get down around 265 so if I'm scheduled for a fight I dont have to kill myself to loose 30 pounds. My wife tells me its all belly fat and I can't possible loose weight anywhere else, is there any miracle suppliments that attack belly fat? I'm 27, been involved in martial arts all my life and was hoping to have my first MMA fight this year. Any thoughts, advice, scoldings, are welcome.

Are trying to cut weight or loose weight?

This is going to come out harsh, and I do not mean it to offend anyone in particular in this thread, but a lot of the times when we say the things we are doing, we are lying...most of the time to ourselves. This is especially evident when we are trying something, and having absolutely no success with it. Carefully examine the things you are doing as far as nutrition and exercise and make sure that you are REALLY doing what you say you are doing. Hold yourself accountable.

Have you had bloodwork done recently? Assuming your diet is on point and things are in the proper proportion, your bloodwork may indicate why you haven't seen the results you expect

This advice was probably ignored...but is the absolute best advice in the thread.

Yea nada on the bloodwork, YET. I am scheduled for a full physical next month. Yes I do have alot of stress in my life, adhd 3 year old, pregnant police officer wife, and I also work crazy hours for the local gov. Training has been going great, although I have been suffering from the lack of carbs, the only carbs I have really been eating are high fiber foods. I have been going harder longer during sparring, so that is promising. I'm going to weigh myself in today to see where I'm at after about 3 weeks of very low low carb diet. I feel lighter if that counts for anything, and I've been sleeping better at night. Started taking Lipo6x, cant possibly hurt right? first time ever taking a weight loss suppliment so thats been interesting.

In another few weeks I'm going to go Max on my lifts and see if they've dropped, I'm not that worried about some losses as long as I don't lose like 50 pounds off anything.

I'm feeling better and I'm sure I've lost some weight, my waist still measures a 38, I've notice the biggest difference in my thighs and glutes. Thighs were 34", now there 31"

Back