Tried everything, need to cut.

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by RamlebNeral, Sep 15, 2010.

1. RamlebNeral

RamlebNeral White Belt

I'm 6'3" 296lbs, and its getting to me because no matter what I do it won't go away. I run 3-6 miles a day, eat right, lift. The only thing I can think of is I skip breakfast alot due to work, but i eat around 4-5 meals a day. I Stay away from the junk, eat a lot of lean meats, only take in minimal carbs per day. I've worked with trainers to set up diet & exercise plans, and in over a year I've only lost 5 pounds! I'm clueless as too what will help me lean down, I want to get down around 265 so if I'm scheduled for a fight I dont have to kill myself to loose 30 pounds. My wife tells me its all belly fat and I can't possible loose weight anywhere else, is there any miracle suppliments that attack belly fat? I'm 27, been involved in martial arts all my life and was hoping to have my first MMA fight this year. Any thoughts, advice, scoldings, are welcome.

2. BoxingFan123

BoxingFan123 Purple Belt

spot fat reductions don't exist

anyway why cut your carbs so low, are you doing a modified keto type diet?

whenever im in wrestling offseason i always bloat and most the weight goes to my hips/belly area, I found that warrior diet approach seemed to do the best for quickly dropping weight around that area nad tightening myself up when im getting back into shape.

3. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Be more specific with what you eat, how much of it & how you prepare it. Also some more specifics on your training might help.

4. PoundUmOut2

PoundUmOut2 American Gangster

i know a lot of people are against it for "propper training", but the only diet i found that worked for me was basically carb free. just super high protein and fat intake. it sucks but man it was effective.

dont expect any significant gains in the gym though other than trimming down

5. RamlebNeral

RamlebNeral White Belt

not really looking for anymore gains, I bench 375, and squat over 600, I can run 2 miles in under 14 minutes, wouldn't mind loosing a little bulk if it helped me get down. Cutting carbs completely is probally the only thing I haven't tried, always feared loosing energy.

and I must agree, filipovic is going to kick mir into the afterlife

6. James Fuller

James Fuller Amateur Fighter

Sounds like your simply not doing enough cardio and not reducing your caloric intake to the point you are losing weight. Martial arts training is so vague it means everything from breaking sawdust boards with 8 year olds to bjj to mma training. so my guess is your training is not including enough live rounds and actual work (not just technique/drilling) otherwise if you were eating right etc you would be losing weight. Unless your getting crazy strong which dosent seem to be the case based on your post.

and as for making significant gains in the gym thats always secondary to making gains in your MMA FIGHTING. A fact people here forget constantly. Bench all you want, go to bed dreaming of your squat but if your not making the 265 limit its pointless. For that matter if people of any weight fight in a class too big for them because they are scared of or hesitant to sacrifice their "numbers" they need to quit mma immediately and start powerlifting because thats obviously whats most important to them.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  7. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

Take those 5-6 meals you eat per day, add in the breakfast, and reduce the amount of food u eat each meal by 30% (therefore eating 70% of what u ate per meal before)

I GUARANTEE you will lose weight.

Also add in some HIIT cardio as a way to reduce bodyfat

8. James Fuller

I am all about this suggestion HIIT is where its at. You burn more calories for sure and you get some residual benefit of entering and exiting the aerobic zones on your warm up and cool down. However, to burn your fat reserves you need to work at a much slower pace for an extended time more like LSD runs

9. RamlebNeral

RamlebNeral White Belt

Well I run at least 3 miles everyday, typically fast the first 2 miles then slow the pace down and jog one-two more, then I cool down with a 2 mile walk. I typically make it into the MMA gym 1-2 times a week for sparring, training, ect... wish I could go more but work and family are very important. I go to the gym and lift bench, free weights, cleans, deads, you know the drill 3 days a week. And spend about an hour a day, typically an hour or two after my runs shadow boxing/hitting a heavy bag. I feel I get more exercise than most 27 year olds that weigh close to 300 lol

10. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

Have you had bloodwork done recently? Assuming your diet is on point and things are in the proper proportion, your bloodwork may indicate why you haven't seen the results you expect

11. PoundUmOut2

doesnt sound like people are reading what your already doing. look man ive had assloads of nutritionist and trainers tell me what they garuntee would work and it didnt. this was the last thing i tried and i dropped 45 pounds in a matter of months. i gave my self the weekends off of the diet because youll go crazy doing it 7 days a week. it is effective and if you dont need the gains in the gym i reccomend it.

as far as losing energy, you will need to eat every 3 hours or so. im sure it will differ per body, but i had to eat every 3 hours or i would be dragging ass. as long as you can have your meals ready and handy throughout the day it works out just fine.

im no expert, but this is what worked for me. if youd like ill shoot you a pm about what a typical day consisted of and what foods to go with. you are significantly larger than i am so i would adjut the intake to fit accordingly for your hunger/needs.

12. Nick Kilian

Nick Kilian Amateur Fighter

I'm not very convinced 4-5 meals a day Increases your metabolism. As much of the studies I've seen that it increases metabolism, I've seen the opposite where it has no effect. For me you are just putting more food in your body all the time if you are not watching proportions closely.

Once I get down to a lower weight for my cuts it becomes extremely hard to get the last 15 pounds off.

I really have to dig deep and cut the calories. This means maybe a small amount of breakfast, a banana for lunch(or some soup), and dinner after a workout(Usually not too hungry after I get back from a 2 hour workout session so I eat less)

The most serious thing I look at for my diet is taking out sugar. That is the one thing I try to focus on the most.

Things I like to eat :
    Sushi
    Beef Jerky
    Low cal soups(High in salt though so you will probably have a higher water retention)
    Fruits
    Veggies

13. James Fuller

Guess what Poundem I have a GUARANTEE for you.

If calories in< calories out over an extended time you WILL lose weight. Plain and simple. all the meal plans, all the timing and all the metabolic effects of certain foods is worthless if that simple condition is not being met. So, if you are honsetly saying your workout is that complete and that strenuous than guess what? your eating too much.

14. PoundUmOut2

i guarantee that not everyone is the same and not everyone can cut their intake down so low that your spending more than you are eating and still keep going. that is an unhealthy way to lose weight anyways, also known as starving yourself.

i dont know if you took that as a personal attack or something? thats not how i meant it, im just stating my experience. i had trainers and nutritionist and was down to 1500 calories a day on a clean, stable diet with a great work out routine. i lost a total of 5 pounds...switched my diet around to 3000+ calories of proteins and fats with the same work out routine and the pounds fell off rapidly.

again i am no expert, but i guarantee this is what worked for me.

15. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

For what it counts, that whole carlories in < calories out is total bullshit. It may work for some, but not for everyone. My last year in the Corps I was trying like all hell to drop about 15-20 Lbs. I was eating less than 1000 calories a day, and burning between 2000-3000 a day. Ran at least 5 miles per day, then weight training each afternoon. Never lost a fucking pound that way. I got out last year, and once I started eating again, like LOTS of lean meats, and managing the types of carbs I was eating, reducing the amount of exercise, the weight fell off. I dropped almost 20Lbs in less than 3 weeks eating like this. So yeah, 5 meals a day, mixture of lean meats, minimal veg, little fruit, and good carbs, and yeah, my metabolism finally started working and the weight fell off.

Everybody's body is different, if you're stressing about losing the weight, your body's "fight or flight" will kick in, even minimally, and it shuts down your metabolism. Your body doesn't know the difference between a fearful situation and day to day stress, which is why people in high stress jobs are almost always overweight. Take it for what it's worth man, but it might be the stress that's killing your metabolism.

16. James Fuller

you know I shouldnt have addressed you directly because in no way was it meant for you directly. That was dumb and I apologize I more meant it for everyone else (myself included) we get so wrapped up in all the small minute details and we forget that its a very simple equation.

And yes it IS simple. Cut calories. If you dont lose weight cut more calories, or do more exercise. Thats not called starving yourself. its called DIETING. Yes you will need to work out when you don't feel properly fueled but guess what? obviously your wrong about how much fuel you ACTUALLY need if your working out all the time and never losing weight.

If that dosent work, go see a DOCTOR because obviously if your expending more than calories than your taking in and still not losing weight something is wrong.

HAHA! calories in calories out is bullshit? way to disprove everything we know about the way bodies (humans and animals) function. Congrats. Call Nobel because you got a prize coming. Or more likely, you have your head up your ass.

Everyone has a easy solution, its not you, its your hormones. Its not you, its your stress levels. Its not you, its your genetics. blah blah blah. This thread sounds like every diet infomercial that comes on at 2 am. Its about discipline and/or too many calories or not enough cadio/aerobic/hiit work.

17. PoundUmOut2

it may have worked in the long run, maybe a couple of months wasnt long enough for it to really take effect and drop the weight. hell im almost sure that it could have came off eventually.

what i know is that what i was doing didnt feel good, i was tired, fatigued, and constantly hungry. what i switched to made my body feel much better and energetic, and the results i wanted were there.

i guess for everyone it just comes down to what works for you, or how much you can handle.

18. Envy

Envy Silver Belt

I'd be interested to see your diet and WO routine, and if you have it, the old 1500 calorie diet as well. I have a hard time believing that you lost more weight on 3000 cals than 1500, so I'd like to see what you were doing.

19. PoundUmOut2

i still have it on the home computer i will post it. it was a healthy diet, but had too many carbs i suppose. the first 2 nutritionist were absolutely anti carb cutting diets. i was eating a tons of fruits and vegies, grains/brown rice and such.

ill toss an example of a days meal up when i get a chance at home, and the w/o routine.

and mind you, the 3000 -3500 cal is nothing but protein and fats. i do not know how or why this makes such a difference, but i could literally watch the weight coming off.

20. RamlebNeral

RamlebNeral White Belt

Damn looks like I stirred a bit of a hornets nest on this one? good first topic to post up huh?

- Its not that I'm not loosing fat, I'm a very big muscular guy. After Ranger School 7 years ago I was still 235 pounds. The problem seems to be that my legs, glutes, arms and chest are all losing weight, getting toned, but the belly fat is sticking. I know if I get down to 270-75 (only about 15-20lbs away) I can easily drop that 10 pounds before a weigh-in the old wrestler way (dehydration) I know I got a good 15lbs around my belly/love handle, and it seems that all the running/cardio in the world is not helping to cut it. It would help me greatly to loose the gut, be around 255-265 and not have to worry about spending a week in a sauna to loose that 10 pound, and being 75% before the fight because of it. I wrestled for 10 years, and found that when I was a sophmore trying to cut down to 215 left me feeling weak and running out of energy faster in a match than when I would be fully hydrated/nourished and wrestling at heavyweight. I actually made it deep into the states my junior year at heavyweight while as a sophmore i barely had a .500 record.

I think I'm going to try eliminate as many carbs as possible, this is really the only thing I have not tried. Especially since I am part italian, come from jersey and love pasta. Keep my cardio regimine as is and see what happens over the next month.

I know this has been asked a billion times on here, but is there any dietary suppliments that would work at burning up the fat. I never got into suppliments, I don't know that much about them. But if it can help me make the turn on the loosing the fat then I'll consider it.