Tried a shoulder throw in Wrestling today...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by td82394, Oct 8, 2010.

1. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

and it didn't work. I pushed forward, then tried to shoot my srm underneath, but somehow I just... failed, really. I just failed. So, in other words, how can I make this throw work, cuz I think it would be a huge wespon in my arsenal, cuz it's a judo throw, making it highly probable that my opponent won't have seen it.

2. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Orange Belt

wrist control. Shoot in like your gonna do a firemans carry.

I hope Im thinking of the correct throw.

3. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

you can do a version where you step way outside his centreline and kinda go down sideways in front of him, more like he rolls over you because you have his arm under control

Ippon Seonagi no gi isn't something I do. the only version I have really drilled or even tried you gotta turn more then a gi drop seo

in the clinchyou are leaning towards him so he tries to straighten out, you are in an angle towards him
    if you are attacking his right arm, your right foot is almost between his feet and you have controll over his arm, as you drop to your knees you go further back with your left leg so you angle out more then a usual gi seo

4. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

I don't think you are, because with this throw in no gi you gotta really own his arm, with the lesser grip you have from no gi plus the sweat you gotta clamp down hard on that arm before you commit

5. jeremyhi09

jeremyhi09 Blue Belt

nope, not a fireman's carry. You're gonna wanna sit your hips through like a head and arm, not quite as dramatcally, but you definitely don't want to go under like a fireman's carry.

6. KnockoutsGalore

KnockoutsGalore Banned Banned

You need to really get under your man, put your ass into his hips and control the shoulder or back of his head to get him over.... it's ALL in the legs, bend your knees and time your throw with straitening out your legs to get the most "pop" to get him over... The biggest problem with a shoulder throw is it's very hard to come down in a really advantageous position. Typically at best, you'll come down and make a quick transition to side control, but there are a number of other, less complicated throws, to get you there. But the downfalls are, you're giving up your back and almost cinching in your own RNC just to get there against anyone that knows what they are doing. If you're going to use it, it needs to be complete surprise and mostly as an impact technique, not so much to gain position.

7. Keonici

Keonici Green Belt

If I'm thinking of the correct throw you need to get your hips really far back and have his arm extremely tight to your body. If its not this will not make any sense whatsoever.

8. Gabicho

Gabicho Brown Belt

Wrestlers also train shoulder throws.
    So if you're not good at shoulder throws, don't expect to throw a good wrestler. He'll let you drop, pick you up and slam you, or just ride you.
    There's no "magic" tricks against any particular grappling style... particularly not under their own rules.

My suggestion is to train them the way wrestlers do (without the gi).

Good luck and safe throwing!

9. DaMatRat

DaMatRat White Belt

Watch and learn!

10. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

If you're talking ippon seoi nage. you need a tight overhook to start with, followed by them pressuring into you. You can force an ippon seoi nage to happen, but the best way is for them to push into you. Pressure them a bit, and when they pressure back, go for the drop seoi.

Like they've said though, just because you've never seen it doesn't mean they haven't. My team was taught that throw because I showed the coach it was useful (placed in a statewide tourney because of it).

11. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

the winner is.... this guy!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  12. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

I hate to agree with the guy who says nogi is not bjj, but this is a great variation of the one arm throw, and IMO a higher percentage move and doesn't so much rely on forward movement by your opponent or even the element of surprise. They can know it's coming and still get hit with this one. (2:00)