Tribute and apology to Darkslide632.

Happy Boy

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I should have included this dude in my list of judo regulars on the forum, I overlooked him which is ridiculous as he is one of the most knowledgable.

Anyway, he posted some videos of a training session he taught before, and guys, this dude's harai-goshi is a monstrosity.

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/mma/judo/vids/haraigoshi.wmv

Hope the link works, my comp is being funny but maybe if it doesnt he could repost it for us. The guy he throws in it is no small guy, and Darkslide bounces him like he weighs nothing.

Apologies my friend, please accept this praise of a great throw as compensation.

Nice throw and nice try to pull your head out of the trap you set for yourself Happy Boy.

Will you put the grudge-match clip on youtube please?

:D

I should have included this dude in my list of judo regulars on the forum, I overlooked him which is ridiculous as he is one of the most knowledgable.

Anyway, he posted some videos of a training session he taught before, and guys, this dude's harai-goshi is a monstrosity.

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/mma/judo/vids/haraigoshi.wmv

Hope the link works, my comp is being funny but maybe if it doesnt he could repost it for us. The guy he throws in it is no small guy, and Darkslide bounces him like he weighs nothing.

Apologies my friend, please accept this praise of a great throw as compensation.

didnt work for me, but i agree that darkslide is def one of the top 3 judo guys on this forum at least.

He has a little too much disdain for bjj, but I've learned not to hold it against him :D

didnt work for me, but i agree that darkslide is def one of the top 3 judo guys on this forum at least.

He has a little too much disdain for bjj, but I've learned not to hold it against him :D

You have to right click save as, worked for me that way.

What is this BJJ you speak of? Isn't it just Judo?

Haha, thanks Happy Boy. I was just giving you a hard time in your other thread, but I'm glad you like my harai.

And I don't hate BJJ, I just hate some of the training methods I see sometimes :)

which bjj specific training methods bother you? i'm just curious here...sick throw btw

do you the vid of you landing on the dude over and over again?

do you the vid of you landing on the dude over and over again?

Haha, which one? I have a ton. This one was the worst...

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/mma/harai4.wmv

That guy is tough as nails and I have never met someone who trains as hard as he does. I thought I broke his ribs, but luckily I just knocked the wind out of him. In 13 years I have never heard him make a noise like that.

I had a video of me practicing on a crash pad, but it's not uploaded anymore. Is that the one you were thinking of maybe?

I am envious of your strong kuzushi and quick commitment to the throw on that Harai. It seemed like you used a sort of Makikomi like twist to get him over. Do you find you finish that throw that way a lot?

My class is small, and aside from our top MMA fighter, who I have serious trouble throwing, everybody in my class ranges from way smaller to much smaller than me. So, I have to be extra conscious to not land on them when I finish. I am seeking a way to finish that throw when it gets to that hung up hopping phase without landing on them. Any advice for me?

Many Thanks, and wow...Nice throw!

I am envious of your strong kuzushi and quick commitment to the throw on that Harai. It seemed like you used a sort of Makikomi like twist to get him over. Do you find you finish that throw that way a lot?

My class is small, and aside from our top MMA fighter, who I have serious trouble throwing, everybody in my class ranges from way smaller to much smaller than me. So, I have to be extra conscious to not land on them when I finish. I am seeking a way to finish that throw when it gets to that hung up hopping phase without landing on them. Any advice for me?

Many Thanks, and wow...Nice throw!

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you, but I am lucky enough to have some really dedicated training partners who trust me and give a lot in the way of absorbing impact to help me train.

My suggestion, personally, would be to buy a crash pad and go at it anyway. I am not a fan of altering the way I throw in training. I think that we do thousands of repetitions to build muscle memory, and if we spend those thousands of reps trying to keep from landing on our uke, then when it comes to contest or self defense we will do the same. This is not the most popular way of thinking for a lot of people, but I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why. In contest and on the street, I want the reaction I got from my training partner in the above video. If I get that reaction, I win. Chances are, if I throw someone with harai goshi, I will land on them because that is how I have trained, though recently I have made an conscious effort to remain standing. The thing to remember, however, is that it is possible to throw makikomi and land on your uke without hurting them, even if they are smaller than you. One of my students is 100 pounds lighter then me, and I have landed on him several times with no injuries. In fact, I think the only significant outcome was having the breath slightly knocked out of him once. The key is to stay TIGHT to your uke. If there is any space between you and them when you hit the mat, someone is going to get hurt.

I used to practice a LOT of 3,4 and 5 man uchikomi years ago and my kuzushi was much stronger than it is now. When I was 20 or so, I could knock down a row of 4 people during 4 man uchikomi. I can't do that anymore, but I often have 1 person completely off the ground and the one behind him close to being there!

Edit: I don't think I answered your question about how often I use makikomi to finish. Generally I do not have to, but my training partner and I have been training together for almost 13 years now I guess, and he sees my harai coming a mile away. Usually that does not happen, even tho I almost always finish my harai on the ground.

Generally it goes quick, like in this video here:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V6KwlrDWu3g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V6KwlrDWu3g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That guy was 280+ pounds, I weighed in at 230 I think. I certainly didn't have to go to the ground, and in this case it worked against me because I over rotated (Which I have since started to correct) but this is a good example of how I want to land on opponents in contest. The only difference now is that I make a conscious effort to unwind halfway through. I put the video back up on youtube so you can see. I'll update it as soon as it goes live.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vfFM6OjiRro&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vfFM6OjiRro&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks DarkSlide for your detailed answers to my questions.

I feel I don't have enough control at this point to be confident I won't hurt my training partners - in Sugieko yes but Randori maybe not - by landing it like that. I am at green belt and close to my brown according to my sensei. My instructors have been very clear about asking me not to fall on my uke, although they encourage them to land hard on me... lol. One of the reasons I call myself Throwing Dummy - the other, I am about the only one in my class with good ukemi so I get to be uke a lot. Which I like, really.

I'm gonna talk to them about this - I often shy away from this throw for fear of injuring the guys in my class, it is one of my two best throws for sure, this and Tani Otoshi, but my harai is suffering from lack of practice. I should be able to find someone to let me practice a hard landing with.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work! I always enjoy your posts here and on the Judo Forum.

Thanks DarkSlide for your detailed answers to my questions.

I feel I don't have enough control at this point to be confident I won't hurt my training partners - in Sugieko yes but Randori maybe not - by landing it like that. I am at green belt and close to my brown according to my sensei. My instructors have been very clear about asking me not to fall on my uke, although they encourage them to land hard on me... lol. One of the reasons I call myself Throwing Dummy - the other, I am about the only one in my class with good ukemi so I get to be uke a lot. Which I like, really.

I'm gonna talk to them about this - I often shy away from this throw for fear of injuring the guys in my class, it is one of my two best throws for sure, this and Tani Otoshi, but my harai is suffering from lack of practice. I should be able to find someone to let me practice a hard landing with.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work! I always enjoy your posts here and on the Judo Forum.

Well, at the VERY least, you could do 3 man uchikomi and develop your kuzushi and tsukuri. That's really the part that matters... Landing on people is easy :)

hey darkslide, in the video of you going against the 280 lber, did you lose that one? im confused about the judo rules, that looked like an ippon to me but they let him continue with the pin? or that wasnt an ippon?

hey darkslide, in the video of you going against the 280 lber, did you lose that one? im confused about the judo rules, that looked like an ippon to me but they let him continue with the pin? or that wasnt an ippon?

BJJ i believe.

in that vid darkslide is in a white belt, and i know he is black in judo, so i am guessing it was a BJJ tourney? am i right?

Well, at the VERY least, you could do 3 man uchikomi and develop your kuzushi and tsukuri. That's really the part that matters... Landing on people is easy :)

True true and my kuzushi sucks - so that is definitely good advice...thanks again.

That wasn't a Judo match, it was an open grappling tournament. I lost the match on points. We basically hit the ground, I rolled over the top of him, managed to secure half guard (which I am generally extremely strong at) and we stayed there until the final 10 seconds or so, when he managed to pass to mount.

I couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time transitioning from half guard until several months later when I saw him at an MMA contest. He's just gigantic, haha. Good grappler too.

It would have most definitely been ippon in a Judo match.

Back