Triangle Injuries Survey

Aardvark

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a feel for how many people get injured from a triangle.

Any anecdotes from your schools? Have you been injured or seen someone injured doing a triangle?

Background: I'm trying to pick out a bread and butter sub from guard. Currently I have mostly an armbar/plata game as far as subs from guard go. Triangles seem a solid fit, but from general stories from the academy, it seems that a number of the people got serious injuries (i.e. slipped disk, pinched nerve in back, neck pains) while stacked going for triangles over the years. On the other hand, they are one of the most high percentage subs in bjj/sw competitions.

Am I just being a paranoid pu**y?

I've had minimal spine or neck problems with triangles, but one of my worst injuries came from trying to force a triangle closed and twisting/straining my knee. It is my best submission, but I stopped going for blood with it to prevent reinjury.

i've had some neck problems from a bigger guy stacking me when i had him in a triangle now i've learned to hook the leg to keep them from standing up if i dn't get it though and they start to stack i let go (you just need to learn your limits when doing that with bigger opponents, in competition its a different story especially if you aren't a big guy like i cut down to 139 to compete so no one in that weight class is gonna do much damage stacking me)

on a side note you will most likely get worse injuries over the years then anything you might get from going for triangles so...

FStep said:
i've had some neck problems from a bigger guy stacking me when i had him in a triangle now i've learned to hook the leg to keep them from standing up if i dn't get it though and they start to stack i let go (you just need to learn your limits when doing that with bigger opponents, in competition its a different story especially if you aren't a big guy like i cut down to 139 to compete so no one in that weight class is gonna do much damage stacking me)

on a side note you will most likely get worse injuries over the years then anything you might get from going for triangles so...

On some level, I've accepted that I'll have injuries if I stick with bjj long enough. I'm basically trying to structure my game such that I don't tempt fate as regards to really serious stuff. And anything to the neck or spine is serious in my book.

If I have a guy in a triangle and he tries to lift up, I try to twist to one side, hard. If the triangle is sunk in deep, it won't make things any better for him, and it makes it a lot harder to slam me.

You can be stacked in a straight armbar position also. The bread and butter move I'm trying to perfect is the ude garame / kimura.

Lets say you're going for a triangle, bringing your right leg around their head. Your left foot should be anchored in between the opponent's thigh and hip, and pinched close to their side. This prevents them from getting close and starting to stack you. If they can still push forword for teh stack, shift your hips to whichever side they are leaning more on and get into a mounted triangle (continues submission and brings you up in points.)

Hope I explained that right.

I slapped a triangle on my friend who was around 210 (I was about 150 at the time) and he summersaulted over my head to try and get out.

I landed in a triangleed mount position, but my knee and ankle got crushed during the roll.

I tore my ACL and lateral meniscus and had to have reconstructive surgery on both. My ankle swelled up, but they told me there was nothing they could do for it - its neve been the same since.

Whenever I see someone do a forward roll to try and avoid a triangle I get sick to my stomach.

Soulfly said:
You can be stacked in a straight armbar position also. The bread and butter move I'm trying to perfect is the ude garame / kimura.

Lets say you're going for a triangle, bringing your right leg around their head. Your left foot should be anchored in between the opponent's thigh and hip, and pinched close to their side. This prevents them from getting close and starting to stack you. If they can still push forword for teh stack, shift your hips to whichever side they are leaning more on and get into a mounted triangle (continues submission and brings you up in points.)

as far as armbars, I've thus far tended to go belly down as soon as someone tries to stack me. If anything I tend to set up armbars such that I'm attacking the arm from the outside where going belly down is pretty much a given. I've yet to get into a position where I'm stacked directly on my neck or with a serious spinal twist off an armbar and don't really see it happen when I watch higher belts get them off (as opposed to triangles both on the few occasions I've locked them in and when I see higher belts get them). That said, my go-to moves from guard are armdrags to back, and spider and butterfly guard sweeps, so its not like my personal guard sub game is the best measure of all this.

I'll play around with the foot in hip anchor next class and see if it does anything for my comfort level =) It was mentioned at some point in class but was one of the zillion details that never really made it into the techniques I actually roll with at a functional level.

Funny you mention this training on monday our instructor was teaching us stacking and escaping well my training partner decides to jump and stack at the same time which caused a buttload pain in my upperback! i don't think its serious as its not a crippling pain and i can only just feel it when i turn my body . but that just persuaded me to just let go off the triangle if someone looks liek there going to do that now.

Soulfly said:

i do that alot, since im a tiny guy and everyone stacks me up. but i have trouble finishing the mounted triangle so i usually don't roll entirely to the mount but just so they fall to the side, usually it happens to the side on which their arm is caught because they have no ballance there. when it does i just push my hips out and armbar them, no need to even break your triangle.

to the thread starter, i wouldn't worry about it much if i were you. everytime someone looks to pass your guard, slap it on and hope for everything. they usually do all the work to get caught and even though i havent been grappling for a long time, i've never had any injuries from doing triangles.

good luck.

Brian McLaughlin said:
I slapped a triangle on my friend who was around 210 (I was about 150 at the time) and he summersaulted over my head to try and get out.

I landed in a triangleed mount position, but my knee and ankle got crushed during the roll.

I tore my ACL and lateral meniscus and had to have reconstructive surgery on both. My ankle swelled up, but they told me there was nothing they could do for it - its neve been the same since.

Whenever I see someone do a forward roll to try and avoid a triangle I get sick to my stomach.

That really sucks dude, I am sorry to hear about your injury. When I learned the triangle choke one of the first things I was taught was to roll to the side when someone either tries to pick you up, roll backwards, or roll forwards. If you don't throw off their base in this manner, it is potentially bad news for the triangler.

um thats why u tap out retard. Its not a tournament. No reason to injure yourself. And even when people get me in triangles the only thing that happens is i cant breathe.

Brian McLaughlin said:

shit your boy had balls too. he coulda snapped his neck. sorry about your injuries tho man

Brian McLaughlin said:

That sucks man, ACL injuries suck.

I've had someone full force roll sideways into a mounted triangle before. He lost his balence while trying to posture (though the choke was closed) and slipped. He fell directly on my knee and anckle and there was a series of pops. No real problems since though. I'm pretty lucky.

Learn Kimura (ude garame) im sick to death of watching mma fights where it doesnt even enter the guard fighters mind, even while the fool on top is laying and praying.

its real simple stacked bad or slammed, let it go.......move on

Oktavius said:
Learn Kimura (ude garame) im sick to death of watching mma fights where it doesnt even enter the guard fighters mind, even while the fool on top is laying and praying.

Kimura is not that easy to get from guard. I go for omoplata over kimura every time.

Not that this has much to do with triangle injuries. For the record, I got a really sore neck once from being stacked in a triangle.

Back