Triangle from mount.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by b0b, Nov 21, 2005.

1. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Anyone try this? It seems to work well on whitebelts(which I am). Someone showed me this.

You are in high mount, on top. Post your right leg above your thier left shoulder, next to their head. They usually make the mistake of grabbing the foot, and trying to sweep you, which is exactly what you want. Hold thier head, as if you are doing a neck crank(similar to a Muay Thai Clinch) and as they roll you, it makes it very easy to take your leg behind their neck and get the triangle.

It is pretty risky, because if you screw it up, you just went from mount to a shitty guard. It is really easy to sink in though. It probably works best with the gi.

Anyone else use this technique? I am sure there are way better techniques out there, but I don't see many people doing this one.

2. Joey Guidice

Joey Guidice Green Belt Professional Fighter

this works very well for me gi and no gi.....i used it to win the intermediate dev of grapplers quest last year

3. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Do you hold the mounted triangle or roll to your back?

4. colinm

colinm Brown Belt

works well gi and no gi...i try to come as close to closing it as i can in the mount, even finish there if i can - its harder to adjust, but if you can get it, why give them a chance to escape/slam/whatever? its not too risky, and you can squeeze the will to fight out of someone by just sitting on their chest like that.

5. Weonlywonsixtwo

Weonlywonsixtwo Banned Banned

I love the move, works amazingly. Plus is anything you can swing over to side...So now too much risk involved.

6. spsickboy

spsickboy Guest

I like this move too. I usually can only get it though with a gi on. And if they try to escape it and you end up in shitty postion, try going for an armbar.

7. Joey Guidice

Sometimes i will finish from the top....there is alot of pressure there and its hard to get out, other times when i feel i need to adjust and tighten i will roll and tighten, and sometimes go right back to the mounted triangle

8. physicaltherapy

physicaltherapy Blue Belt

I usually try to tighten before I roll. I try to finish up top. If I can't then I roll. But I definitely make sure that shit is tight.

9. Dr. BadAss

Dr. BadAss Guest

There's no need to roll. You can finish on top by pulling their head up. Or if that doesn't work, their arm is there for an armbar and once again, you don't need to fall to your back because you should have it tight enough.

10. Waxwingslain

Waxwingslain oiseau rebelle

Exactly what I was going to say. DON'T LET THE GUY ROLL YOU OFF!

11. sproggdawg

sproggdawg Nap Facilitator

Its best to try and finish from the top, but its a slower tap than if you roll. The Triangle is by far my favorite move.....there are just so many setups from every imaginable position. Anyone ever use the reverse triangle?

12. Shaldag

Shaldag Orange Belt

great technique if you can get your foot in there, most experienced grapplers will see it and defend, iv used it to get armbars, cause once the foots there they start defending the triangle and will forget about their arm.

13. Joey Guidice

i throw the reverse on all the time...alot of guys will try to escape the regular triangle by positiong there body at an angle so u cant lock it up....that sets them up perfect for the reverse...then once they're in the reverse they try to escape which sets them up for the regular triangle choke and so on and so it...i love the triangle

14. sproggdawg

sproggdawg Nap Facilitator

ive found alot of guys will leave themselves open for a Kimura, or reverse armbar on their free arm when theyre caught in the reverse triangle too. Most experienced guys are conscious of where their limbs are, but I get new guys with this all the time.

15. Ybot

Ybot Purple Belt

If you have trouble adjusting and tightening the triangle from to try this...

Pull on their arm and post your head on the mat above their head. This usually gives you the room to adjust withouth them rolling you. To finish sit back up and pull up on their head.

Also, if they try to roll you a lot of times this can be stopped just by extending your body. This will leave you laying on your side where you can adjust, and where you will have pretty good leverage (and both hands) to go back up top if you want.

16. Big Red

Big Red Green Belt

I like this. Even if they don't roll, you can tighten your legs & finish from that position.

17. ShadowNINku

ShadowNINku SANDBAGGER BELT

I can usually not get it from the mount due to escapes but I always pull it off after getting a triangle from guard, to sweep to mount triangle...imagine catching someone with it in mma???

18. Joey Guidice

I think Mayhem Miller had someone in a mounted triangle in one of the superbrawl fights hes had...i rememebr watching a highight video where hes on top with a triangle and the guy is out cold.

19. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

I love this move, have normally managed to finish people with it while still in mount but for mma if you cant get the choke it makes a great G'nP position.

20. HEN

HEN White Belt

I got caught last week with this submission except the guy didnt roll with me he just applied the triangle from the mounted position. I had tried to escape the mount by going through his legs as he was very high up my body. I grabbed one of his feet and tried to turn him as i lifted off the matt he slipped his other leg round and somewhow managed to triangle me and he pulled the head in for good measure i barely had time to tap it came on so quick! Fair play to him it was a screamer.